Herdman new head coach

matty

4 hours ago, gator said:

Funny how this thread quieted down with a good result!😀 I was critical of some of what he did in the Honduras match and I stand by that but he sure got things right last night! The switching to 4-4-2 opened the match up and put us under some pressure but he pulled that back and we settled again, his substitutions were mostly well planned and in the end many of us are disappointed we didn't' take all 3 points! He clearly out coached his US counterpart, let's hope he gets things so right again Wednesday!

yeah, it's like the opposite of the player threads. haha

4 hours ago, gator said:

Funny how this thread quieted down with a good result!😀 I was critical of some of what he did in the Honduras match and I stand by that but he sure got things right last night! The switching to 4-4-2 opened the match up and put us under some pressure but he pulled that back and we settled again, his substitutions were mostly well planned and in the end many of us are disappointed we didn't' take all 3 points! He clearly out coached his US counterpart, let's hope he gets things so right again Wednesday!

Ties don’t mean much away.  We could technically tie 50% of away matches, but if we don’t win at home, we’re toast.  All I saw last game is the US not being able to capitalize on early chances anf vice versa with Canada, a split was a fair result.  If we tie or lose to El Salvador next game, you bet more Herdman critique may come, not just by me.  Herdman is a great organizational and idea guy, but tactics, coaching, jury is still out.

16 hours ago, gator said:

The switching to 4-4-2 opened the match up and put us under some pressure 

On the one hand I'm pleased that we have a manger who's willing and has coached the team to change positions/formations during a game.

On the other hand, that's two games in a row where his change had a negative effect and I'm worried that the next one will do more harm than just robbing the team of whatever momentum they have. It's not time to be dicking around for fun. Change things when they're not working, not when they are.

We seem to be embracing CONCACAF. It might be controversial to some on this board (I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I wasn't on the game thread) but I thought it was hilarious when Borjan had a seemingly planned injury out of nothing. Instantly the entire team was at the sideline talking to Herdman and getting hydrated.

Just now, Kent said:

We seem to be embracing CONCACAF. It might be controversial to some on this board (I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I wasn't on the game thread) but I thought it was hilarious when Borjan had a seemingly planned injury out of nothing. Instantly the entire team was at the sideline talking to Herdman and getting hydrated.

Canada certainly have figured out how to CONCACAF a game, they did it Sunday as they should have. Getting out of Nashville with a point was not the best result it certainly certainly better than none. 

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

We need to give as good as we get. Only thing that matters is putting points on the board by any means within the rules. Especially when on the road. Getting the first goal is so important within CONCACAF. Once it happens teams really lay it on thick. 

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

Unfortunately, we figured out that we need to CONCACAF to get what we want.  Idealism in the traditional North American sports sense doesn’t work when the system is not set up that way.  I have learn to accept this long ago.  We won’t and shouldn’t be as “good” as the Hondurans at this (whatever it’s called) but we don’t need to be.

40 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not sure that was a planned injury. His first few kicks after that pause were poor to iffy, including one that created a pretty decent chance against.

22 hours ago, gator said:

Funny how this thread quieted down with a good result!

Not every game, good or bad, is a referendum on Herdman, nor should it be. My main issue with his hiring was the entire process behind it, but rehashing that debate now, when we are in the middle of a WCQ campaign, doesn't make any sense.

There will be lots of time to critique Herdman at the end of these 14 games. 

23 minutes ago, masster said:

Not every game, good or bad, is a referendum on Herdman, nor should it be. My main issue with his hiring was the entire process behind it, but rehashing that debate now, when we are in the middle of a WCQ campaign, doesn't make any sense.

There will be lots of time to critique Herdman at the end of these 14 games. 

I completely agree about the hiring debate however if we don't win tomorrow the critics will be out, just watch this space!

1 hour ago, gator said:

I completely agree about the hiring debate however if we don't win tomorrow the critics will be out, just watch this space!

Is it some sort of insecurity where people feel the need to say "I told you so"  To those who feel like that, let me beat you to the punch, we know who you are, we heard you, and frankly don't care. The agenda against Herdman fails as he has so far gotten us closer to the Holy Grail than anyone in the past two decades.  Oh, but he had the best players, well if these guys don't want to buy in and play for Canada as so many have in the past, that won't help us very much in qualifying.  But the haterz gotta hate.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

There's a difference between not caring about what some idiot thinks and caring enough to tell him that he's an idiot.

This is a discussion forum.

Not sure why some people think Herdman is above criticism.

If you don't like it you can ignore it. No big deal. But the petty insults just make you look like the fucking idiot.

Just now, narduch said:

This is a discussion forum.

Not sure why some people think Herdman is above criticism.

If you don't like it you can ignore it. No big deal. But the petty insults just make you look like the fucking idiot.

There is not a single member on this forum who has ever said that Herdman is above criticism, and I would bet my life that nobody thinks he is. The difference is the vampires on this forum who do not come within ten feet of this thread when we are performing well and refuse to give him a shred of credit for our success, but as soon as a result goes the other way, they flock in and spew their bile all over the place. I'm a supporter of Herdman and I criticized him after Honduras because I think he got it wrong. I know other Herdman supporters did the same, because that is the logical, reasonable approach to take. I respect every single reasonable approach on this forum. But if someone comes in and clearly takes pleasure in his shortcomings while ignoring his achievements, I have no respect for that and I have no respect for those posters because I think they're low IQ morons who get their rocks off on someone else's failures for their own personal reasons. If someone is incapable of forming a reasonable, logical opinion on ANY matter, then I consider them an idiot. On this forum and in real life. Does that make me an asshole? Possibly. I literally couldn't care less.

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

There is not a single member on this forum who has ever said that Herdman is above criticism, and I would bet my life that nobody thinks he is. The difference is the vampires on this forum who do not come within ten feet of this thread when we are performing well and refuse to give him a shred of credit for our success, but as soon as a result goes the other way, they flock in and spew their bile all over the place. I'm a supporter of Herdman and I criticized him after Honduras because I think he got it wrong. I know other Herdman supporters did the same, because that is the logical, reasonable approach to take. I respect every single reasonable approach on this forum. But if someone comes in and clearly takes pleasure in his shortcomings while ignoring his achievements, I have no respect for that and I have no respect for those posters because I think they're low IQ morons who get their rocks off on someone else's failures for their own personal reasons. If someone is incapable of forming a reasonable, logical opinion on ANY matter, then I consider them an idiot. On this forum and in real life. Does that make me an asshole? Possibly. I literally couldn't care less.

That's basically how supporters act.

The insults just prove how arrogant and condescending you are.

Again if you really didn't care you wouldn't react. The fact you react they way you do shows poorly on you.