Jump to content

Herdman new head coach


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've won 11 games we were expected to win. We've lost 2 games we were expected to lose. We overperformed in 1 game, and underperformed in 1 game. Then there was also the loss to Iceland, which I hard

The coach can be blamed because his chatter about a new culture of resiliency was show to be a farce when we completely crumbled against a weak team while still in the lead.  He can be blamed for

I had a strong opinion about Herdman being hired. Thought he was unqualified and undeserving- still believe that given his resume at the time. Attacking him as a person, in particular his physical cha

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Will add that Atiba is playing two games a week in a very congested Turkish league schedule.  At 38, he’d be silly to get on a plane for 11-12 hrs each way from Istanbul when he can prolong his club career by getting a week and a half rest.  Agreed with @Stryker911, if he plays, it’ll be June or later.

It’s perfect that we play Suriname in June, he’ll be done his season in may and will have had a little bit of rest. Same with the rest of the Euro players unless any leagues run late for some reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to have the pair of them, it was doubtful even before Arfield's injury, I would like to think we have the depth to replace both on the field, hopefully others step up because we will miss their veteran leadership! I did not think in the Herdman interview that he was implying they had retired from the MNT, it just sounded like their participation in this round was questionable at best!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

If it's just B squads we will face, there really is no excuse for  Herdman to fail to produce results. I don't expect all of our veterans to show up, but I would be very surprised if our talented young players skip the GC. It's crucial prep for the qualifiers. 

I wouldn't celebrate that scenario, obviously, but at least I'd go into qualifying thinking we might have a chance. If we can't cut it in neutral venues in a watered down GC, what chance do we have when the games get real? 

Herdman is not going to be fired in the middle of WCQ because of poor Gold Cup results. That just doesn’t make any sense. Even if we cared and took the Gold Cup seriously, it doesn’t make sense to change managers, systems, chemistry, etc right in the middle of qualifying. Like it or not, Herdman is our manager for the 2022 WCQ cycle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

If it's just B squads we will face, there really is no excuse for  Herdman to fail to produce results. I don't expect all of our veterans to show up, but I would be very surprised if our talented young players skip the GC. It's crucial prep for the qualifiers. 

I wouldn't celebrate that scenario, obviously, but at least I'd go into qualifying thinking we might have a chance. If we can't cut it in neutral venues in a watered down GC, what chance do we have when the games get real? 

There are a ton of variables at play, but I don't see Canada's best young players (Davies, David, Eustaquio, etc) playing in both the June WCQ games and the July Gold Cup. These players are coming off a congested schedule and will need a break before the club season kicks off again in August. The easiest thing to sacrifice is the Gold Cup, meaning (if everything goes according to plan) Canada will have a B squad at the GC.

Sure, Canada's B squad should theoretically be better than that of many CONCACAF nations, but any kind of real success at the GC would be icing on the cake. The real goal is, and always should be, World Cup qualification.

(I haven't even mentioned the slim chance that Canada qualifies for the Olympics, which overlaps with the Gold Cup. If Canada somehow makes it to the Olympics, expect a C squad at the Gold Cup).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

There are a ton of variables at play, but I don't see Canada's best young players (Davies, David, Eustaquio, etc) playing in both the June WCQ games and the July Gold Cup. These players are coming off a congested schedule and will need a break before the club season kicks off again in August. The easiest thing to sacrifice is the Gold Cup, meaning (if everything goes according to plan) Canada will have a B squad at the GC.

Sure, Canada's B squad should theoretically be better than that of many CONCACAF nations, but any kind of real success at the GC would be icing on the cake. The real goal is, and always should be, World Cup qualification.

(I haven't even mentioned the slim chance that Canada qualifies for the Olympics, which overlaps with the Gold Cup. If Canada somehow makes it to the Olympics, expect a C squad at the Gold Cup).

In your opinion, do you think David and or Davies goes to the Olympics if we qualify?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex said:

In your opinion, do you think David and or Davies goes to the Olympics if we qualify?

My opinion holds no weight in their decision, but if Canada's still alive in WCQ then I highly doubt it. It'd be great if they did, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any articles or releases that confirm that former Curacao head coach Remko Bicentini is now part of Herdman's staff? He was at the training camp and has given a number of interviews indicating he is an assistant coach now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VinceA said:

Are there any articles or releases that confirm that former Curacao head coach Remko Bicentini is now part of Herdman's staff? He was at the training camp and has given a number of interviews indicating he is an assistant coach now.

Love this.  Bicentini probably does the coaching and Herdman does the preaching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Most people's issues with Herdman (mine included) is he's 1/4 in important matches. Failed spectacularly against Haiti. He put out a very odd line-up against Mexico which told us he had no faith in getting a result. Beat the US with an impressive tactical plan, then failed hilariously in the return leg when he tampered with that plan. There's more good than bad but he's not shown me that against top teams he'll play to this team's strengths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Most people's issues with Herdman (mine included) is he's 1/4 in important matches. Failed spectacularly against Haiti. He put out a very odd line-up against Mexico which told us he had no faith in getting a result. Beat the US with an impressive tactical plan, then failed hilariously in the return leg when he tampered with that plan. There's more good than bad but he's not shown me that against top teams he'll play to this team's strengths.

Let’s be honest. If anyone before this group of 4 matches said “Canada will win 2 and lose 2” 100% of Canadian supporters would take that.

so yes, we came up short. But that’s really all down to the Haiti match. I don’t think Herdman should have ever been hired and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind yet but it’s not like we have underperformed (yet). The WCQ will answer that question and that’s how he should ultimately be judged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone here knows I’m not a fan of the English wannabe Canadian Hobbit, but I will give him credit his recruitment of players has been very good. Most of the dual nationals have picked Canada and right now our player depth is the best it’s ever been. It’s time for Herdman to put up or shut up. If we don’t qualify he should be gone and a lot of the CSA board and staff should be gone too. The board and staff have put all their hopes on Herdman. They gave him full control with no oversight. Even the women’s program too. Bev was hired because of herdman don’t kid yourself. She has been with him since New Zealand, she married to a former New Zealand player Herdman coached. I hope these clowns know what they have done by giving everything to Mr. Ted talk Hobbit. 

Edited by SpecialK
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm trying to figure out if the insult is that he's English, Canadian or a hobbit.

Wannabe is the qualifier. So wannabe what?

He is in fact English, so it can't be that.

He is on the short side, so he's got that covered.

He wants to be Canadian? Can't blame someone for that. If you do, you must not have a high opinion of Canada.

Edited by Redpunkfiddle
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Wannabe is the qualifier. So wannabe what?

He is in fact English, so it can't be that.

He is on the short side, so he's got that covered.

He wants to be Canadian? Can't blame someone for that. If you do, you must not have a high opinion of Canada.

I just saw that we had the same reaction to the cryptic post. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a strong opinion about Herdman being hired. Thought he was unqualified and undeserving- still believe that given his resume at the time. Attacking him as a person, in particular his physical characteristics, is just pathetic and laughable. Either he’s a good manager or he isn’t. Thus far he’s been decent and he should have our full support in this all or nothing month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said I’ll give him credit with recruitment. But honestly he’s done nothing else. The standard at CSA and the Canadian fans is so low it’s scary! Even with the women’s team, his teams have never won vs the US, his World Cup recorded is not very good and only two bronze medals ( not gold or silver) also note The Olympics has a smaller group of teams. He was given the keys to everything base on what two bronze medals, he left the woman’s program in the middle  preparing for a World Cup by putting a gun to the head of CSA saying give me the men’s team or I go to England. The arrogance ! Ok so that’s past ok let’s look at present. He has Won 1 game against a  top nation. he had his chances vs Mexico B and lost to Haiti ! with one of the best rosters Canada has ever put together and he Fucked the dog. So... the future there is no excuses, there’s no reason why Canada can’t be at the World Cup 2022. On paper we are a top 5 team in CONCACAF and 3 1/2 spots. It’s go time for Herdman and if he fails a lot of people  should be fired ! Why because they gave him everything without even interviewing or approaching anybody else ( specially when there was Canadian options out there with better records and better resumes!) that’s what pisses me off with Herdman, he’s a pretender, a smooth talking salesman and has stacked the CSA with all of his people . All hype no results ! And the CSA with their incompetence ate it all up because of brown medals and a Panic. There 0 accountability or oversight! 

Edited by SpecialK
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Like I said I’ll give him credit with recruitment. But honestly he’s done nothing else. The standard at CSA and the Canadian fans is so low it’s scary! Even with the women’s team, his teams have never won vs the US, his World Cup recorded is not very good and only two bronze medals ( not gold or silver) also note The Olympics has a smaller group of teams. He was given the keys to everything base on what two bronze medals, he left the woman’s program in the middle  preparing for a World Cup by putting a gun to the head of CSA saying give me the men’s team or I go to England. The arrogance ! Ok so that’s past ok let’s look at present. He has Won 1 game against a  top nation. he had his chances vs Mexico B and lost to Haiti ! with one of the best rosters Canada has ever put together and he Fucked the dog. So... the future there is no excuses, there’s no reason why Canada can’t be at the World Cup 2022. On paper we are a top 5 team in CONCACAF and 3 1/2 spots. It’s go time for Herdman and if he fails a lot of people  should be fired ! Why because they gave him everything without even interviewing or approaching anybody else ( specially when there was Canadian options out there with better records and better resumes!) that’s what pisses me off with Herdman, he’s a pretender, a smooth talking salesman and has stacked the CSA with all of his people . All hype no results ! And the CSA with their incompetence ate it all up because of brown medals and a Panic. There 0 accountability or oversight! 

Did we play yesterday and have a bad game or something? I’m so confused. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...