Herdman new head coach

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've won 11 games we were expected to win. We've lost 2 games we were expected to lose. We overperformed in 1 game, and underperformed in 1 game. Then there was also the loss to Iceland, which I hard

I had a strong opinion about Herdman being hired. Thought he was unqualified and undeserving- still believe that given his resume at the time. Attacking him as a person, in particular his physical cha

The coach can be blamed because his chatter about a new culture of resiliency was show to be a farce when we completely crumbled against a weak team while still in the lead.  He can be blamed for

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

So we get Bicentini as an assistant coach while Curacao get Guus Hiddink as their head coach! Yikes!!!

At this point, Guus Hiddink is in his mid-70s and has been on a downward spiral, career-wise, for the last 10 years. If we were being linked with him right now for a hypothetical CMNT managerial vacancy, would anybody other than those dazzled by his name be enthusiastic about it? 

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

At this point, Guus Hiddink is in his mid-70s and has been on a downward spiral, career-wise, for the last 10 years. If we were being linked with him right now for a hypothetical CMNT managerial vacancy, would anybody other than those dazzled by his name be enthusiastic about it? 

Even at the top of his career he never seemed to last anywhere more than a couple of years. He's not what we need, specially with regard to long-term plans for recruiting the duals, but the fact that a small country like Curacao can get him and we get their cast-off doesn't sit right.

On the other hand Bicentini has had some success. Maybe he'll be a really valuable asset.

2 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Even at the top of his career he never seemed to last anywhere more than a couple of years. He's not what we need, specially with regard to long-term plans for recruiting the duals, but the fact that a small country like Curacao can get him and we get their cast-off doesn't sit right.

On the other hand Bicentini has had some success. Maybe he'll be a really valuable asset.

Their 'cast-off' has gone from being their HEAD coach to being our ASSISTANT coach. I'm not sure that your radar is reading this in any rational way.

Hiddink 10 years ago maybe. Of course we would all be delighted if he was announced as Canada boss but looking beyond that I doubt the motivation is there. As mentioned he isnt a long term builder type of appointment. While the talent is in question the commitment and hunger of Herdman certainly isn't.

Bicentini did a great job with Curacao and will bring a nice perspective to the team. Can't see anything negative about this appointment.

Edited by toontownman
8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Their 'cast-off' has gone from being their HEAD coach to being our ASSISTANT coach. I'm not sure that your radar is reading this in any rational way.

So we get a new assistant whose coaching experience includes some semi-pro/amateur teams and two small island nations yet he could prove to be a valuable addition since he has more senior men’s coaching experience than our current head coach. Somehow this doesn’t leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling towards our coaching staff.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Probably the same people who would be excited if Alex Ferguson accepted an offer to coach CNMT.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Boy do I ever hate the name of this thread. Every time I see it I hope it means somehow the page has been turned, but then no.

Yes, or no, I don't like Herdman and have very little faith in him. Not even as a sports psychologist.

I’m with you actually but at this point I’m just hoping that maybe his experience with coaching a pretty successful woman’s team will rub off on our men’s team, that’s really the only thing I’m going on right now with this coach.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

The new assistant coach has been behind Curaçao rise between 2016-2020, no?

He has better insight in Caribbean Football as well. You never get too much help in my opinion

Can we also get a Central American assistant manager who knows how to win against the 'dark arts' used by Central American players?

Actually, maybe a witch doctor might be a better for protection.

I think Remko's hire is a positive step. Would have preferred a more seasoned  assistant but he did an impressive job in the 2019 GC with Curacao progressing out of their group with Jamaica over Honduras and El Salvador.  Group games:  1-0 win over Honduras and a 1-1 tie vs Jamaica. They lost in the QF vs USA. In Concacaf NL they defeated Haiti 1-0 home and tied them 1-1 away and held Costa Rica to a 0-0 away tie. So he has coaching experience vs El Salvador, Honduras and CR plus Jamaica; teams that JH has not faced. 

Remko Bicentini: “Three consecutive Gold Cups means a lot to Curacao” (concacaf.com)

5 hours ago, gator said:

We have the players in our pool now to be successful, failure to qualify for the World Cup will in a large part be down to coaching and I get that bad things can happen in Concacaf but my point stands that it is up to the coaches to come up with proper strategies and play the right players in them!

Don't forget the CSA's part in this, they also have a huge role.  Qualifying doesn't happen on paper, that happens on the field and the CSA hasn't gotten the coach anywhere near a field with the players lately. 

Putting it all on the coach isn't fair if he doesn't get a chance to actually try those theoretical lineups.  Look how many different lineups and formations we come up with here.  Herdman's had zero opportunity to try any of them thus far.

At this point in time, CANMNT starting line is behind other nations due to CSA's incompetence.  The coaches need games and camps to get the most out of the players.

Your point is valid to a certain extent, I know other Concacaf teams have had some friendlies, we were doing better in that regard before this pandemic hit so the CSA has some reasoning there I suppose! We play some minnows to start off so JH should be able to get an idea of who can play how, I still haven't gotten over losses to Haiti and the US where JH had no excuses, surely we aren't the only footballing nation that has some challenges during these times!

• 1 month later...