Herdman new head coach

matty

Don't want to get too ahead of ourselves just yet.  However...

Me and mine have a drinking game,  because we're drinkers.  Any-who, in this instance it would relate to our "Zombie 'pocalypse Team" game.  It's quite simple, you choose who's on your Zombie 'pocalypse team and you explain why.  So and so because they have fire arms.   So and so because they're in the medical field and trained up as such.  So and so because they have rural property and that'll be a safe place to hide out.  So and so because he's hung like a horse.  Etc and etc. 

EVERYONE has someone on their Zombie 'pocalypse Team for no other reason except that they were born lucky.  And that counts for something.   Think Glen on The Walking Dead.  Sure, it ended badly for him but he had a great run there. 

I give you John Herdman. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The crazy thing - and I am probably stretching it a bit - but that brutal GC loss against Haiti may have been a massive and timely lesson for the boys and for Herdman.  Still painful, but it could be the kind of harsh lesson that ultimately makes us a better team.  

Haiti tied Costa Rica on Thursday. Maybe they aren't so bad after all ...

I try not bandwagon too hard either way on anything but there were a lot of great signs this morning/last night.

If you can't see the players have bought in* and are playing hard and willing to play Herdman's formations, watching this game can't be that fun for you.  Players did their jobs and were playing for something: you have to acknowledge that is what he brought to the women's program and, despite many, including me, not sure that would translate over to the men's game, it has happened for a hugely important game. 

The identification of what their weaknesses were and the selection of players to attack them, were spot on.  

The subs were somewhat risky but this was a must win and they had the perfect result. 

Roll on the Magic Kingdom. 

*Arfield screaming at the top of that pile after the second goal was huge for me.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Got it right today. Deserves as much credit as anyone,  arguably more. If he can get a result in Orlando it will be a huge turning point for our program and validate his appointment. 

He deserves massive props.  Low key, well prepared side:  good decision opting for Fraser ahead of someone like Teibert, and the kid flourished, while the other two subs were impact players keeping the Americans on the back foot.

14 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Just in here to pay my respects. I've been easy to question Herdman, even with last nights starting lineup and Fraser sub. I was wrong, Herdman got it right. Happy to be wrong when it means our team gets massive results. 

I echo this exact statement. However I did say he had to get this game right to earn fans trust. And he did just that! 

Let me line up and have a helping of crow.  I havnt been a fan of some of the lineups or tactics (even at kickoff last night) but Herdman was massively rewarded by the team.  He got the right combo of guys with the right game plan and they executed.  This was the first time you could see that they really were motivated/confident, which is what Herdmans main selling point has always been.  Kudos for having the cajones to bring in Fraser, if that didnt work he would have been torn to shreds.  But Herdman obviously sees more to Fraser(and was rewarded) than Vanney does.  It had to be nice to have Cav, Hoilett and Eustaquico sitting on the bench, but we have had good players in the past and have still failed to get a result like this.  Hopefully all Herdmans Ted talk stuff has actually sunk in and he can keep the team as hungry next time as they were last night.  

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Let me line up and have a helping of crow.  I havnt been a fan of some of the lineups or tactics (even at kickoff last night) but Herdman was massively rewarded by the team.  He got the right combo of guys with the right game plan and they executed.  This was the first time you could see that they really were motivated/confident, which is what Herdmans main selling point has always been.  Kudos for having the cajones to bring in Fraser, if that didnt work he would have been torn to shreds.  But Herdman obviously sees more to Fraser(and was rewarded) than Vanney does.  It had to be nice to have Cav, Hoilett and Eustaquico sitting on the bench, but we have had good players in the past and have still failed to get a result like this.  Hopefully all Herdmans Ted talk stuff has actually sunk in and he can keep the team as hungry next time as they were last night.  

Fraser last night could be Herdman’s Zambrano/Kaye moment. 

As for the praise being heaped on Herdman, I agree things were absolutely spot on last night - even the things I was wondering about at the time (basically the subs).

Having said that, it is probably straightforward to do something like that once where the players are amped to beat the US.  The trick will be achieving success over the longer term. How do we sustain that kind of energy and focus over multiple windows?  How will we respond in a game if we go down to an early goal against a peer - or face a team like Haiti that claws their way back into a game and regains momentum?   To me, as beautiful as last night was, i don’t want to get too carried away.  Lots of big tests ahead, and his ability to manage those -starting with a huge game next month - will be the real key.  

But, like everyone is saying - he got it bang on last night and a massive result for everyone involved.  

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

I have criticized him in the past but he made all the right decisions for this match. 

Wrong. He made a lot of the right decisions over the last year to get to last night.

Every time he has spoken and every time his players have spoken they have talked about building a winning program. Last night was simply that program coming into it's own.

Will be make mistakes going forward, sure, he's not perfect, but anyone saying he has no business coaching the CMNT can fuck right off.

I commend Herdman last night.  Tactically spot on in my opinion.  

Backline was great.  Piette was exceptional.  Fraser came in for his first ever game probably had people worried.  Junior and Cavallini late subs.  Many people don't ever have Osorio in their starting midfield but I can't remember a bad game he's had for Canada this year.

👏

Herdman, IMO, justified his appointment last night. He now has a bit more rope. I wasn't as down on him as some where. I wanted to wait a few games to make judgement - and I got pretty bummed after Haiti - but I think that performance speaks volumes. 

I literally got into soccer around the time of the Honduran 8-1. I think that was the first (certainly one of the first) Canada game I ever watched. I ordered pizza and beer and sat there in disbelief. 

This is the happiest I've been in my short history as a fan!

On 10/15/2019 at 9:58 PM, dyslexic nam said:

The crazy thing - and I am probably stretching it a bit - but that brutal GC loss against Haiti may have been a massive and timely lesson for the boys and for Herdman.  Still painful, but it could be the kind of harsh lesson that ultimately makes us a better team.  

The timing could not have been better... in retrospect if there was a good time for this team to have such a heart breaking setback, it was during the Gold Cup, and not when they had to play matches relevant to World Cup Qualification.

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He deserves massive props.  Low key, well prepared side:  good decision opting for Fraser ahead of someone like Teibert, and the kid flourished, while the other two subs were impact players keeping the Americans on the back foot.

Not starting Cavallini and Hoilett and saving them as late subs was brilliant. They aren't as young and energetic as Davies and David, so they can't go full intensity for 70 mins. However, when they both came on they were able to go at full pace for 20 minutes and the American defenders and midfield were to exhausted to do anything about it. Cavallini harassed the hell out of that American backline, not allowing them to settle down and get anything going. I'm glad he got his goal, truly deserved it.

9 hours ago, Copes said:

I literally got into soccer around the time of the Honduran 8-1. I think that was the first (certainly one of the first) Canada game I ever watched. I ordered pizza and beer and sat there in disbelief.

oh you poor soul... thank you for not giving up on the team right there and then. No one would have blamed you if you did.

On another note, oh man, if you though the guys were hungry last night against the USA, wait till we get to face Honduras again :) If Herdman can finally put those 8-1 demons to rest then fuck it, make him GG or something.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I am so sorry John for my moment of weakness on Tuesday evening when I saw the lineups, I was in pure panic mode. I was short sited and unable to see your genius. I am back fully onboard the Herdman train, I could listen to this man speak for hours on end. Heck I'm prepared to run through 10,000 brick walls for this guy, I can't imagine how the players must feel!

22 hours ago, Copes said:

I am surprised you continued following them. I remember considering giving up on watching anymore because we were so far behind, it seemed like there was no chance of even getting close to World Cup qualifying.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I am surprised you continued following them. I remember considering giving up on watching anymore because we were so far behind, it seemed like there was no chance of even getting close to World Cup qualifying.

I stayed basically off this forum for almost a year after 8-1. I think came back when the women had some matches later in the winter. Otherwise, i was too scarred and needed to wander off in the wilderness for a while.

Edited by red card