matty

Herdman new head coach

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I like what I am hearing from Herdman so far.

“There hasn't been a deliberate approach to mental performance," Herdman said. “While they may have physically and technically the gifts to perform, on the mental side, on the big occasions, they haven't been able to deliver. Addressing that is the starting point. In the first camp, [the players] will notice the shifts, how it's inculcated into the whole culture.” 

Herdman does not realize he is dealing with professional players and he is underestimating them.  This is not the women team.  Boy is he out to lunch!

12 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Herdman does not realize he is dealing with professional players and he is underestimating them.  This is not the women team.  Boy is he out to lunch!

Well he is certainly not underestimating their performance in pressure matches!

You definitely seem to have an agenda when it comes to Herdman, both as the very successful women's coach and now. Did he piss in your coffee? I told him that would annoy people, but he just said that at McDonalds you would not be able to taste the difference! :)

Edited by Lofty

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

It’s  hilarious everyone is praising Herdman for talking  The mental side of team Canada,  Oz talked about the same thing when he first started.... interesting 

And OZ got results, did he not? But there is clearly still much work to be done in that area, which still stands out as THE aspect that needs to be addressed first.

For all we know, OZ would have got us there. But he is gone so now I'm just pleased to see that the new guy has also recognized that weakness and is planning to address it.

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

You definitely seem to have an agenda when it comes to Herdman, both as the very successful women's coach and now. Did he piss in your coffee?

If the CSA gave out gold sovereigns Ref would be against it so I don't take any post seriously and it's been like that forever (must have been denied a CSA job).  Just a case of boy cries wolf, ad nauseum, ad infinitem.

Ugghh!!! Have you ever been in a presentation that blew everyone away until later that day you realize the guy said almost nothing, but the way he said it was really inspiring??  The more I hear from Herdman I just think...I dont want the undercoating and I'm not paying for it. 

And he cant try to take credit for the benefits the new CONCACAF league will bring.  Having important, consequential games on a regular basis was going to happen with out hiring Herdman.    So.....whats the plan?? Having clear focus, vision, high perfomance systems, deliberate approach, guidance etc.  Very exciting and inspiring BUZZ words.  I sure hope there is some steak behind all that sizzle..because the promising crop of youngsters that will be the backbone of the CMNT deserve a leader that can guide them to the HEX and beyond.  Rant over...Go Canada!!  

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I like the hire of Biello. 

One concern I had with Herdman was that he lacks experience in CONCACAF and in men's soccer in general.

How do you get around that? Bring someone with that experience to your staff.

Now, does Biello have the best resume in the world? I would say no, but I do think he can make up any gap John Herdmen has in dealing with MLS and/or other aspects of pro soccer.

I like Herdman's apparent leadership skills and outside-the-box approach.

He is right, we are lacking on the mental side and that is now being addressed under his leadership.

Herdman doesn't need to be a tactical genious so long as he's surrounded with a credible staff. Biello is a good start.

I do not care if John is leading the ship as long as he's not going it alone. Biello gives me more comfort in all of this.

Biello during his stint with the Impact seemed pretty far from a tactical genius. He tried different tactics but they often weren't the right ones for the particular players or game situation. Also the whole mental part as others have pointed out was something Oz was already saying. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he actually coaches but I don't see anything so far to take as a positive sign though if he is capable of doing a good job himself I don't see things as negative either. Just some rather neutral meh decisions and some words that won't mean anything unless he can actually deliver. Dos Santos would have been a lot more inspiring hire than Biello at this part in their careers (would have preferred to see Biello do a career projectory more similar to Dos Santos before getting a job like this) and certainly better than Miller if he is indeed being hired.

Edited by Grizzly

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ugghh!!! Have you ever been in a presentation that blew everyone away until later that day you realize the guy said almost nothing, but the way he said it was really inspiring??  The more I hear from Herdman I just think...I dont want the undercoating and I'm not paying for it. 

And he cant try to take credit for the benefits the new CONCACAF league will bring.  Having important, consequential games on a regular basis was going to happen with out hiring Herdman.    So.....whats the plan?? Having clear focus, vision, high perfomance systems, deliberate approach, guidance etc.  Very exciting and inspiring BUZZ words.  I sure hope there is some steak behind all that sizzle..because the promising crop of youngsters that will be the backbone of the CMNT deserve a leader that can guide them to the HEX and beyond.  Rant over...Go Canada!!  

Allez Les Rouges!!!!????????????

Perhaps "tactical periodization" refers to when you write a letter to the members of team you are about to coach to discuss tactics and you tactically select where to put the periods in the letter. Its not always that obvious - sometimes people use hyphens; or semi-colons: or colons or they make things a ridiculous run-on sentence just because they don't know when to stop rather like me when it comes to milking jokes until the cows come home okay I will stop now.........

"Tactical periodization"....is that why he sits in the stands at the start of the games?! I don't expect he will be able to continue that habit at some of those CONCACAF stadiums during WC qualifiers. 

I have to admit I am not a great JH fan, just a bit too much "sizzle" or self-promotion.  I understand the importance of sport psychology but if winning is as simple as believing you can win or having the right mentality, then how do you explain the "failure" of the WNT in the 2015 World Cup.

Captain Obvious: "He'll be evaluated on the team's results. Nothing else."

Let's see what The Sizzle can do. I am, like most of you, very skeptical. For some reason I feel significantly more skeptical today than I did when his appointment was first announced. I don't want him to fail. But why do I feel that failure is likely? I hope I am wrong.

15 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Or indeed the two Olympic bronze medals.

Not to mention the fourth place FIFA World Ranking.

What about gold ? silver ? 

Wow I didn’t  realize fourth place was the goal ? All we need now is a huge MeGa bowl 

A5B37C0C-EE24-4263-B492-CC432E1B710B.jpeg

30 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Yes, if we finish the 2022 World Cup in 3rd place and ranked 4th in the World, Herdman will be a miserable failure!

You guys are  hilarious.  It’s all about expectations, the women’s team is a world’s powerhouse ( it should be).  So their expectation is to be the best.  This is where I get frustrated because Herdman has come out and said  at a press  conference The expectation and the goal is to be number one in the world while he was the coach of the women’s team,  they play two games vs the Americans one was a tie and another a  loss . After that he jumps ship?  He’s a coward! There I said it, man that felt better haha. His record in women’s World Cups is  average and he’s got two  bronze medals. The first medal was success but the next time the  expectation was  raised and they failed. He had another World Cup coming up to  meet his expectations that he had for the the women’s team and like a coward he jumped because he knew he wasn’t going to get there, other countries are getting better at a huge rate, he wasn’t up the  Challenge. 

Now he’s the saviour for the men’s program! 

Guys don’t you get it,  there is no expectations for the men’s team! The CSA and Herdman are talking about 2026, we will be hosting , we don’t even have to qualify ! 

Im all for cheering for Canada and giving all my support to the team, but I’m not gonna kiss his ass like you guys are because of one hiring Biello and Herdman talking about the  mentality of the men’s team. 

Edited by SpecialK

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

You guys are  hilarious.  It’s all about expectations, the women’s team is a world’s powerhouse ( it should be).  So their expectation is to be the best.  This is where I get frustrated because Herdman has come out and said  at a press  conference The expectation and the goal is to be number one in the world while he was the coach of the women’s team,  they play two games vs the Americans one was a tie and another a  loss . After that he jumps ship?  He’s a coward! There I said it, man that felt better haha. His record in women’s World Cups is  average and he’s got two  bronze medals. The first medal was success but the next time the  expectation was  raised and they failed. He had another World Cup coming up to  meet his expectations that he had for the the women’s team and like a coward he jumped because he knew he wasn’t going to get there, other countries are getting better at a huge rate, he wasn’t up the  Challenge. 

Now he’s the saviour for the men’s program! 

Guys don’t you get it,  there is no expectations for the men’s team! The CSA and Herdman are talking about 2026, we will be hosting , we don’t even have to qualify ! 

Im all for cheering for Canada and giving all my support to the team, but I’m not gonna kiss his ass like you guys are because of one hiring Biello and Herdman talking about the  mentality of the men’s team. 

I'm thinking somebody's been popping a few too many horse tranqs, no? Or is this horsey just a troll?

Like most, I remain pretty skeptical. Some CSA boardroom suits may have been dazzled by all the buzzwords and new-age/modern stuff but at the end of the day, the results/performances will speak for themselves. Get us to the World Cup and I'll be a believer. Heck just get us to the damn Hex and I'll add "tactical periodization" to my signature  ;)

I dont think Special K read the thread....its got to be at least 50/50 on whether Herdman in a good hire.  And I dont see alot of ass-kissing going on.  I do however like the Mr Sizzle nick name.  Now all I can see is Herdman as the pushy waiter at a steakhouse telling you about how great the 29.99 Angus Ribeye is, prepared with tactical periodization and served with your choice of enhanced mental performance or focused excellence!! 

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont think Special K read the thread....its got to be at least 50/50 on whether Herdman in a good hire.  And I dont see alot of ass-kissing going on.  I do however like the Mr Sizzle nick name.  Now all I can see is Herdman as the pushy waiter at a steakhouse telling you about how great the 29.99 Angus Ribeye is, prepared with tactical periodization and served with your choice of enhanced mental performance or focused excellence!! 

Hahaha.... Good one, man!

Sorry but still don’t like how this all went down with the firing of Oz basically so they could keep Herdman and then all the crap about Oz and how he was incompetent, this has left too much of a bad taste in my mouth it’s going to take awhile for me to start caring about this national team headed by this association and this coach, I hope the best for out Canadian players , but I’m finding it hard to support this coach and CSA after the way this went down, not knocking anyone that is putting their full support of this coach and the CSA I respect your opinions , but it’s just going to take longer for me that’s all.