Should the Canadian Premier League have a draft system like MLS in the future?

Early on could be useful to get some depth without taking everyone between 18+ out of L1O and PSLQ and going after every guy in USL. I'd add NCAA if you're drafting from colleges and maybe do a rights draft with non-Canadian NCAA talent.

Won't happen but I'd like to see something like this if they do do drafts
-3 round CIS general draft
-2 round NCAA Canadin draft
-2 round NCAA international draft

@harrycoyster any thoughts on this or whether the CPL could draft from NCAA

6 minutes ago, matty said:

Early on could be useful to get some depth without taking everyone between 18+ out of L1O and PSLQ and going after every guy in USL. I'd add NCAA if you're drafting from colleges and maybe do a rights draft with non-Canadian NCAA talent.

Won't happen but I'd like to see something like this if they do do drafts
-3 round CIS general draft
-2 round NCAA Canadin draft
-2 round NCAA international draft

@harrycoyster any thoughts on this or whether the CPL could draft from NCAA

The NCAA doesn't endorse partial drafts, so you couldn't have a draft that was Canadian only or international only. Every senior in every division of NCAA soccer would need to be eligible. That being said you don't need to draft the non-Canadian players and you don't need NCAA approval to draft seniors, the NCAA just isn't an organization American sports leagues can afford to piss off.

For CIS. for sure, but keep it low, dont have lower rounds where no one picks, that is bad PR.  8 teams maybe 2 rounds.  Would there be 16 guys every year that would have a shot at what we think CPL level might be??   

As for NCAA/USL/L1ONTARIO PSLQ etc, couldnt it just be the exclusive "rights" to the player if they choose to come to the league??  Like the secret negotiation lists that CFL teams have??  They include NFL and NCAA kids.  Get the GM's in a closed room and they hash out a list of 20 CDN kids each in other leagues/NCAA etc so they all dont go crazy over the same handful of guys.    If the league is going to have hefty CDN content, its really those guys we care about eh??  Foreign guys....who cares?? There are tons of them out there.  

13 hours ago, canadianwolf said:

The drafting system would be from Canadian universities and colleges. I know at the beginning of the league, there wouldn't be a drafting system but what about in the future?

Yes I think there should be a draft. But, I don't understand why you think it would not be at first but rather they would introduce it later? That's completely backwards. At first the league will not have the scouting system, nor youth academies far enough along, to sign players in an open system. 

Much like USA the draft will serve those few top players that weren't able to access a youth academy, or are late bloomers. UBC has been making some impressive "signings" lately (particularly from Whitecaps) - yes it's the best school from an education perspective, but my guess is because they all expect a draft to occur and UBC to be a top draft target for CPL teams.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The NCAA doesn't endorse partial drafts, so you couldn't have a draft that was Canadian only or international only. Every senior in every division of NCAA soccer would need to be eligible. That being said you don't need to draft the non-Canadian players and you don't need NCAA approval to draft seniors, the NCAA just isn't an organization American sports leagues can afford to piss off.

NCAA would have exactly zero say in how CPL does its drafts. 

I honestly don’t care either way if there is a draft, but I kind of hope there aren’t multiple drafts like Matt suggested. If there is going to be a draft just have it be for players turning a certain age that aren’t in an academy. Why does it matter if that player plays in CIS, NCAA, PLSQ or L1O?

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I honestly don’t care either way if there is a draft, but I kind of hope there aren’t multiple drafts like Matt suggested. If there is going to be a draft just have it be for players turning a certain age that aren’t in an academy. Why does it matter if that player plays in CIS, NCAA, PLSQ or L1O?

I only suggested a multi-model there because I kind of think they would have different functions like CIS guys would be straight into the league while NCAA draft would be about rights (because they're also eligible for the MLS draft).

A pool both CIS and NCAA would be cool but I kind of want to see them avoid doing a draft of L1O and PLSQ talent. I think the Can D3 should be open market.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I don't think it's needed. Teams should have a scouting system and invite promising players to tryouts and talk to the players directly. Let's be like the rest of FIFA instead of trying to copy more of what MLS is doing.

I dig what you're saying but would fear the constant raiding of the D3s would stunt the flow of talent early on. Rather than having an automatic pillage having an automatic draft from the colleges for like u22 players could help ease the pressure on L1O and PLSQ and give them time to get fully ready for teams regularly taking 30+ prime young players every year. Not saying a draft should be immortal but not a bad thing in the early days.

If CanPL happens (highly skeptical about it now after assuming it was just around the corner back in September because I find their lack of Fath disturbing) I think it would need a draft, hard salary cap&floor and single entity type setup to be stable (which paradoxically would probably mean no Fath judging by his enthusiasm in years past for the NASL model). Whoever is relatively close to the GTA (if only one or two teams rather than between three and five as was the case in most of the CSL years) or Vancouver is going to have a massive advantage otherwise in recruitment terms and that would probably lead to an 86ers Mk. II, which would quickly get very old in the smaller markets. New leagues in North America need to provide fans in all of the markets with a reason to believe because there isn't going to be the ingrained loyalty any time soon that gets handed down through the generations that keeps people watching the likes of Hamilton Accies or Rochdale over in the UK even though the chance of winning a major trophy is basically zero.

7 hours ago, ThiKu said:

That's completely backwards. At first the league will not have the scouting system, nor youth academies far enough along, to sign players in an open system. 

Much like USA the draft will serve those few top players that weren't able to access a youth academy, or are late bloomers. 

That is not at all what the draft system does. 

The draft is a form of slavery that off-loads the development of players to the college system. Universities train players at their own cost while the teams collude to take their pick of players without having to pay any sort of fees. 

"Late bloomers" or those who 'fall through the cracks' have no need of a draft. They can play for a variety of clubs or even school teams if they like. A draft doesn't discover them or even show them to scouts, it simply limits their options when they want to sign a pro contract. It is anti-competitive collusion by a cartel. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a CIS draft. NCAA players that aren't selected to MLS can contact CPL clubs like any other player in any other country. Each CPL team will have some sort of youth development system - either their own academy or a link with the local leagues to scout and sign players at the older teen ages.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

I fully disagree with draft. Teams should have an academy :)

The two are not mutually exclusive - especially at the outset of the league.  Academies are longer term projects and are absolutely necessary, but there are lots of talented kids playing in uni teams, and a draft is a structured process that allows the league to incorporate some of them in a fair and orderly fashion.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The two are not mutually exclusive - especially at the outset of the league.  Academies are longer term projects and are absolutely necessary, but there are lots of talented kids playing in uni teams, and a draft is a structured process that allows the league to incorporate some of them in a fair and orderly fashion.

Maybe for the 5 first years, bu i really hate he draft process. 
I thing for a long term perspectives, CAN PL teams and even semi-pro teams should have agreement with a local université and even a local high school for the academy. Like it happens in other countries, some profesionnal teams are uni teams

On 4/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Agreed. By incorporating a draft, it also allows the teams to have a bit of an easier scouting pool as players see a pathway through CIS, more who have not made it yet would take that pathway if it would allow them to be drafted, allowing players that are not part of academies a better shot at getting spotted

On 09/04/2018 at 7:52 AM, deschamp86 said:

Agreed. By incorporating a draft, it also allows the teams to have a bit of an easier scouting pool as players see a pathway through CIS, more who have not made it yet would take that pathway if it would allow them to be drafted, allowing players that are not part of academies a better shot at getting spotted

I think the purpose of a draft is to make the league more competitive by ensuring the weak teams get the best young talent. It is communist central planning to try and make everybody equal.

It also takes away the rights of young players and the incentive for teams to develop players (if we are crap, who cares, we will get the cream in the draft). Teams that develop players deserve to be rewarded with trophies, not punished with low draft picks. And what about the kid who grows up watching and idolizing and wanting to play for Vancouver City and then gets drafted by Halifax United? Should he not have the right to choose where he plays?

And on another note, the EPL is richer for having a Manchester Fucking United. Teams do not all need to be equal. Every once in a while you will get a Leicester City anyway.

Just my two cents on the very American idea of a draft.

Those who grew up with soccer and the top European leagues as their favourites from a young age will not be in favour of a draft.

Those like myself who played soccer but had no access to European leagues and therefore grew up watching North American sports and leagues will be in favour of a draft.

What I will say is that we North Americans love our drafts.  NFL (especially), NBA, NHL - these drafts are EVENTS for sports fans beyond the season itself.  I remember as a kid being so incredibly excited (and then of course ultimately disappointed) by who the Leafs drafted.  On the other hand with transfers and the global nature of soccer a CPL draft (like the MLS draft) would never have the prestige of those others.

We also love our parity.  I personally hate the big-spending European clubs.  I can't imagine being a fan of some mediocre EPL team with no shot in hell of a title and the worry of relegation every other year. I realize the big teams make Champion's League awesome but I still hate that its the same few teams year after year.  But that's just me.  I'm a dumb Canadian (also a borderline Communist). The North American in me wants to see every team have a shot, at least of building for the long-term.  On the other hand, I like how relegation battles add a lot of intrigue at end of season, while many North American sports franchises are tanking for high draft picks.

Obviously we don't have to do everything the North American way.  But I don't think we can get caught up in doing everything the European way either.  The ultimate success of CPL will depend on capturing the imaginations of average people who are not the hardcore soccer fans found on this site.  It will have to be a Canadian league: not the EPL, not LaLiga, not MLS.  

And what the CPL needs in the long run is not to match my personal preferences or your personal preferences but to come up with a formula that appeals to enough average Canadians to survive.

Archived