The USSF Election

matty

So this seems pretty important to us as we're co-bidding to host the World Cup with them and are pretty fucking reliant on their league system to develop our talent and play our talent and helping our program make money. So who we want? Discuss

Paul Caligiuri - ex-USMNT and MLS player, ex-NCAA coach (both men and women)

Kathy Carter - SUM president. Likely to be endorsed by Sunil Gulati and Don Garber.

Carlos Cordeiro - USSF VP

Steve Gans - lawyer who has worked in American soccer since the 1970s. Officially Endorsed by John Berylson.

Kyle Martino - ex-USMNT and MLS player and NBC Sports analysts. Officially Endorsed by David Beckham and Thierry Henry.

Hope Solo - ex-USWNT and NWSL player

Michael Winograd - ex-pro player, ex-NCAA coach, now lawyer. Officially Endorsed by Ropes & Gray.

Eric Wynalda - ex-USMNT and MLS player, ex-NASL coach, current Fox Sports analysts. Officially Endorsed by New Hampshire Soccer Association

Carter seems like the front runner

Well you can automatically cross out Caligiuri and Solo. 

Wynalda is the only one with half a chance that would have a significant effect on the men's game. Martino is very pro-NWSL and is planning on more heavily subsidizing the league which would likely lead to 1-2 NWSL teams in Canada.

Carter seems to be an overwhelming favorite and is as status quo as it gets, so doubt it really effects us. 

7 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Well you can automatically cross out Caligiuri and Solo. 

Wynalda is the only one with half a chance that would have a significant effect on the men's game. Martino is very pro-NWSL and is planning on more heavily subsidizing the league which would likely lead to 1-2 NWSL teams in Canada.

Carter seems to be an overwhelming favorite and is as status quo as it gets, so doubt it really effects us. 

Carter would likely be status quo and very admin oriented. I also think she's the most qualified for the position and would surround herself with a decent mix of soccer business and soccer development people.

I disagree with Wynalda as the only one who would really impact the MNT. Winograd also seems in favour of changing up MLS and introduce pro/rel and seems to have a bit of a plan for it.

Gans seems like the wild card, cause no ones him really, as does Solo cause why not.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

The USSF doesn't micro-manage MLS, right? Will you create a thread regarding the Mexican Association president too? Just asking

They're pretty fucking involved in MLS, some view the two as one in the same, and are the Mexicans having an election right now?

1 minute ago, matty said:

They're pretty fucking involved in MLS, some view the two as one in the same, and are the Mexicans having an election right now?

Relax. Just sharing my opinion that they aren't thinking about Canadian Soccer for less than a fraction of a second, hence me asking why/what are we supposed to discuss on the matter. Just a legit question

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Relax. Just sharing my opinion that they aren't thinking about Canadian Soccer for less than a fraction of a second, hence me asking why/what are we supposed to discuss on the matter. Just a legit question

I'd say the American fanbase cares about Canadian soccer. A lot of the more optimistic and informed chats I've had about CPL, Canadians as domestics and the nation teams have been with American fans. A large portion of that fanbase want to see Canada do well in the future and do follow what we're up to up here (often for selfish reason like Canada doing well with the MNT would likely result in easier access to high profile games than Latin America).

I'd also say that the USSF have more of an impact on Canadian soccer than any other element of World Soccer. If there's anything that really should be talked about by us in a World Soccer forum it's this.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

I'd say the American fanbase cares about Canadian soccer. A lot of the more optimistic and informed chats I've had about CPL, Canadians as domestics and the nation teams have been with American fans. A large portion of that fanbase want to see Canada do well in the future and do follow what we're up to up here (often for selfish reason like Canada doing well with the MNT would likely result in easier access to high profile games than Latin America).

The CMNT is like 90% of Americans 2nd favorite team in CONCACAF for some reason...probably the MLS connection.

I lived in the US for a number of years with a bunch of other Canadians.  Americans normally would normally cheer for the Canadian athletes at things like the Olympics until they found out that most Canadians were happy when an American lost.  Once we explained that we liked it when Americans lost because they have a tendency to win everything, it made a little more sense to them.

Worst choice for the US is the best for us. A poor US Soccer structure and endemic crisis in their midst is the best option for Canada.

In the year the US was fifth best in Concacaf, we were not in the HEX. Really no frigging excuse IMO. You can't go through life just conceding spots to your rivals and hoping to squeeze through on a lark. Panama didn't, and Honduras had a chance at it by ending up ahead of them. If these teams can be ready, we have to be too, there is no excuse. None of this dragging us along behind big brother. Look at El Salvador: their entire program was in disaster mode and we still could not take the points we needed from them, because they got results in spite of structural problems.

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Worst choice for the US is the best for us. A poor US Soccer structure and endemic crisis in their midst is the best option for Canada.

In the year the US was fifth best in Concacaf, we were not in the HEX. Really no frigging excuse IMO. You can't go through life just conceding spots to your rivals and hoping to squeeze through on a lark. Panama didn't, and Honduras had a chance at it by ending up ahead of them. If these teams can be ready, we have to be too, there is no excuse. None of this dragging us along behind big brother. Look at El Salvador: their entire program was in disaster mode and we still could not take the points we needed from them, because they got results in spite of structural problems.

Hell are you on about? Also who cares about the el Salvador friendly? We beat them in a competitive less than a year prior

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You really are totally out of context, aren't you, Matty? Our run to the HEX was stopped by a weak result against a fragile ES away.

Sorry thought you were talking about the recent one there (due to there nightmare state a week prior). I would say you can't single out a single game as killing it but that one was bad but again we failed on the road regularly that run.

Still lost by your first part. Do you want to blow up the current relationship outright? Do you want them in anarchy cause you think it'll somehow allow us to.take advantage?

7 hours ago, matty said:

Still lost by your first part. Do you want to blow up the current relationship outright? Do you want them in anarchy cause you think it'll somehow allow us to.take advantage?

Anarchy is the replacement of top-down authority, only concerned for defending its own  interests,  by federated control by the constitutent parts, freely associated. I want Canada in anarchy.

I want the US badly directed from the top down by someone incompetent because that is what does not work. It is, by the way, precisely what has not worked in Canada either.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anarchy is the replacement of top-down authority, only concerned for defending its own  interests,  by federated control by the constitutent parts, freely associated. I want Canada in anarchy.

I want the US badly directed from the top down by someone incompetent because that is what does not work. It is, by the way, precisely what has not worked in Canada either.

That's one version but ok

To the second I don't see the US being incompetent being overly good for us given our heavy linkage. The best way I see the US entering incompetence is attempting to force pro/rel on MLS and the ensuing legal nightmare which I don't see happening. I'd say the current version where they lost reportedly $200m by missing the World Cup is the closest they can really fall into a shithole unless a bunch of wacky shit happens.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived