Naming the Montreal-Toronto derby.

Chad_Impact

It's funny that both sides of this derby can't even agree on what to name it. I feel the 401 derby is a terrible name, especially considering there's no 401 highway here. 

What should it be called? My vote is on The Canadian Classic or Le Classique Canadien, since it translates well to both languages. Though, I have seen some Whitecaps fans get pretty butt-hurt about the name. 

(I'm not sure if there's a thread debating this yet or not, I couldn't find one.)

28 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

It's funny that both sides of this derby can't even agree on what to name it. I feel the 401 derby is a terrible name, especially considering there's no 401 highway here. 

What should it be called? My vote is on The Canadian Classic or Le Classique Canadien, since it translates well to both languages. Though, I have seen some Whitecaps fans get pretty butt-hurt about the name. 

(I'm not sure if there's a thread debating this yet or not, I couldn't find one.)

Red vs blue 2 - electric boogiloo

You know, even though the whole world calls it El Clásico, or the Superclásico, no one here  amongst fans actually uses the term, no one cares. Only the press. Here fans just say Madrid-Barça or reverse, that is that. 

Meaning that regardless of supposedly great names for derbys and rivalries, they are not always used as much as the press would spin.

Do Ranger and Celtic fans refer to Old Firm in their day to day?

On 21/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do Ranger and Celtic fans refer to Old Firm in their day to day?

Yes, in my experience, although the more extreme on both sides sometimes try to pretend their club is not defined by the rivalry with the other club. Phrases such as the bigot brothers, the gruesome twosome and the two cheeks get used by fans of smaller Scottish clubs, although not by the media. Dont think MLS will ever be dominated by two clubs sufficiently for that sort of dynamic to develop and in general names for derbies happen organically and shouldn't be forced like the Trillium thing TFC have with Columbus.

On 2017-12-21 at 10:53 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Two pieces of shit arguing over a fly?

Discuss

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Yes, in my experience, although the more extreme on both sides sometimes try to pretend their club is not defined by the rivalry with the other club. Phrases such as the bigot brothers, the gruesome twosome and the two cheeks get used by fans of smaller Scottish clubs, although not by the media. Dont think MLS will ever be dominated by two clubs sufficiently for that sort of dynamic to develop and in general names for derbies happen organically and shouldn't be forced like the Trillium thing TFC have with Columbus.

On 2017-12-21 at 10:53 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Two pieces of shit arguing over a fly?

Discuss

Who are the two pieces of shit?

The 401 runs from Windsor Ontario to more or less Lancaster Ontario or Cornwall Ontario.  It runs through Toronto.   It doesnt even go to Montreal, and actually ends at 120 kms from Montreal (ie.; an hour and a half away).  The people who named it the 401 derby never looked at a road map.  

If Cornwall Ontario gets an MLS team,  we can have a 401 derby.

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The 401 runs from Windsor Ontario to more or less Lancaster Ontario or Cornwall Ontario.  It runs through Toronto.   It doesnt even go to Montreal, and actually ends at about 100 kms from Montreal (ie.; an hour and a half away).  The people who named it the 401 derby never looked at a road map.  

If Cornwall Ontario gets an MLS team,  we can have a 401 derby.

What is so dumb about the 401 tag is that you get foreign journalists using it, on Eurosport broadcasts I've heard it on both Spanish and English commentary (flipping, same match). Journalists are classically desperate for this stuff, fans care a whole lot less.

Archived