Alessandro Busti - 18 year old keeper with Juventus

Toje

I think a lot of Busti has to do with his "age" and yes his current environment, and I do see the point of pro football vs youth club football. To be fair, the entire cap-tie thing, I do believe is being overblown.

He seemed very confident in the game I watched him play in the Toulon Tournament, so from that, I am not against the call, even if he only had 1 passport.

From the big picture perspective, I honestly feel the call up is also part of a "trial/integration" for the 2019 Canadian Olympic qualifying. IMO he is one of the stronger keepers in this player pool. As Borjan is with his club prepping for some major Champions League matches around the corner, this game presents an excellent opportunity.  It is very important your keeper understands the identity your manager wants your team to play, assuming this identity should be carried down to the U23 and below...

At the end of the day, barring injury, (let's hope never), Borjan is our keeper for the next two cycles. Why not begin grooming a very young keeper into the program at a young age, you can not deny he is an excellent prospect, in a solid environment. I do 100% agree, he should not start if he has not earned it on merit in training.

Edited by apbsmith

Many italians don’t mind him choosing us at all considering the Italian team has a large number of prospects that are more praised then Busti. 

I am not concerned with cap tieing him at all

Goalkeeper is an interesting position. There can only be 1 on the field at a time. So, you can have very very good keepers get ZERO playing time if they are playing behind a better, or more established keeper. That said, one injury or a couple opportunities with good results and all of a sudden you could be playing every game.

Let's say Busti gets a chance for the Juve reserves and lights it up, and starts playing every game. All of a sudden he rockets up the depth chart. 

I'm not saying that will happen, or that I know how 'good' he is, but it could happen, and he's on the books at Juventus for a reason. Plus he is only 18.

Cap tie please.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Goalkeeper is an interesting position. There can only be 1 on the field at a time. So, you can have very very good keepers get ZERO playing time if they are playing behind a better, or more established keeper. That said, one injury or a couple opportunities with good results and all of a sudden you could be playing every game.

Let's say Busti gets a chance for the Juve reserves and lights it up, and starts playing every game. All of a sudden he rockets up the depth chart. 

I'm not saying that will happen, or that I know how 'good' he is, but it could happen, and he's on the books at Juventus for a reason. Plus he is only 18.

Cap tie please.

Then he starts getting interest from Italy and he changes his mind and then we all accuse Herdman of not capping him and blah blah blah begovic this begovic that

5 hours ago, aloyol said:

I doubt this sort of management would sit well with the players.

You don't show up to a MNT camp, have solid performances in training, only to be told "sorry, we won't play you because we need to start player X because he has a foreign passport".

I think if you manage your team like that, you are taking huge risks with the team cohesion and how players will perceive you as a coach.

JH has said he wants to change the culture and identity of the team. I'm not sure this sort  of management would fit that narrative.

The situations are quite a bit different, hypothetically what if young Tabla had a very poor camp, would we still not cap him in this match for the same reasons? I think that would be madness personally considering he was torn between his two international options, I wouldn't want the opportunity to be missed!

I see some very good points people are making but I really would like to believe he called because he is talented and JH sees a future for him , maybe not at Juve and not just because of his pedigree , but because he is a good keeper 

Way different culture and players from the begovic/lensky days 

41 minutes ago, gator said:

The situations are quite a bit different, hypothetically what if young Tabla had a very poor camp, would we still not cap him in this match for the same reasons? I think that would be madness personally considering he was torn between his two international options, I wouldn't want the opportunity to be missed!

To me, Tabla has proven at the club level that he's already good enough to play at this level, something Busti hasn't done yet. That's two different situations IMO.

Some players having a bad or average camp won't change anything to their status. Unless it's attitude related, Atiba can be so-so in training and he's still on our starting 11. The situation with the 3 keepers present is different since none of them is really ahead of the others (maybe Thomas but it's tough to judge since we know very little about the 3). So, that's why I feel like a "I start Busti because we want a cap tie him" is the wrong way to approach this situation. Start the one who's the most deserving.

Edited by aloyol

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On the subject of Busti, last night I was trying to find out how he's been doing but he appears to be on the bench for Juventus u23 almost every week. There's a 28 year old getting a few starts but it has mostly been a 20 year old starting ahead of him.

He's still very young so I don't think we should be worried or anything, too bad he isn't getting more game time though.

5 hours ago, Bdog said:

On the subject of Busti, last night I was trying to find out how he's been doing but he appears to be on the bench for Juventus u23 almost every week. There's a 28 year old getting a few starts but it has mostly been a 20 year old starting ahead of him.

He's still very young so I don't think we should be worried or anything, too bad he isn't getting more game time though.

At some point or another in the next few years he'll have to move on from Juventus and move to a Country & League where he can have a breakthrough, Finland maybe? That seems to be a good place to start in Europe. Would love to see him play somewhere in the CPL, should it be the right move in his career and opportunities are scarce overseas

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

At some point or another in the next few years he'll have to move on from Juventus and move to a Country & League where he can have a breakthrough, Finland maybe? That seems to be a good place to start in Europe. Would love to see him play somewhere in the CPL, should it be the right move in his career and opportunities are scarce overseas

He's already in Italy so chances are high he'll start there...