Alessandro Busti - 18 year old keeper with Juventus

Toje

12 minutes ago, aloyol said:

The only opportunity to play Begovic (let's remember that he was our third or fourth keeper at that time) was in 2008 against Jamaica (Lars played that meaningless WCQ),.  At that time, Begovic was captied, so there was no reason to play him for cap tying reason....he was already cap tied under the rules of that time.

Not sure we should blame Mitchell for not being able to predict the future. 

I remember and don’t know how he was the third or fourth back then. He’s the only one still playin. Pat Onstad was ahead of him and last played in 2010 (42  years old) so ya I believe dale did drop this

22 minutes ago, jordan said:

I remember and don’t know how he was the third or fourth back then. He’s the only one still playin. Pat Onstad was ahead of him and last played in 2010 (42  years old) so ya I believe dale did drop this

Jordan, he's the only one still playing because he's 19 years younger than Onstad and 9 years younger than Lars. 

Begovic was clearly 3rd choice in the autumn of 2008. Onstad was a 40 yr old veteran and starting in MLS. Lars was 30 yrs old and less than 12 months removed from kicking ass in the Champions League with Rosenborg. Begovic was on loan in League One at Yeovil. He was over 21 and cap-tied so he was ours forever, you can't fault someone for not foreseeing a future rule change.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

He was loaned out to Yeovil town back then league 1.  We had Onstad and Sutton in MLS, Stama, Lars playing at high levels.  And we all thought he was wrapped up for us until they changed the rules.  

14 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Jordan, he's the only one still playing because he's 19 years younger than Onstad and 9 years younger than Lars. 

Begovic was clearly 3rd choice in the autumn of 2008. Onstad was a 40 yr old veteran and starting in MLS. Lars was 30 yrs old and less than 12 months removed from kicking ass in the Champions League with Rosenborg. Begovic was on loan in League One at Yeovil. He was over 21 and cap-tied so he was ours forever, you can't fault someone for not foreseeing a future rule change.

Points taken(Aloyol too I couldn’t quote from the previous page on my phone) I agree, and totally forgot about the rule change and probably should have looked it up before going on a rant

I do still think he should have had a cap or two via friendlies, in a time where Josh Wagenaar was getting games and Giacomi was getting called up. 

Edited by jordan

4 hours ago, jordan said:

Points taken(Aloyol too I couldn’t quote from the previous page on my phone) I agree, and totally forgot about the rule change and probably should have looked it up before going on a rant

I do still think he should have had a cap or two via friendlies, in a time where Josh Wagenaar was getting games and Giacomi was getting called up. 

It wouldn't have changed anything.  Wagenaar never played an official match anyways and the only cap where Begovic could have played was when that goalkeeper was just about to get on loan to Macclesfield in League Two. 

6 hours ago, jordan said:

Absolutely right but a cap on friendlies wouldn’t have cap tied.  Still he should have played against Jamaica!  A 21 year old with that much potential in a meaningless game or a 30 year old?  Come on... not to mention guys like Gbeke even played in that game!  I’d laugh if it wasn’t so sad.. why wouldn’t Mitchell have played him?  

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Absolutely right but a cap on friendlies wouldn’t have cap tied.  Still he should have played against Jamaica!  A 21 year old with that much potential in a meaningless game or a 30 year old?  Come on... not to mention guys like Gbeke even played in that game!  I’d laugh if it wasn’t so sad.. why wouldn’t Mitchell have played him?  

From what I remember, and I might be wrong, I think Wagenaar was called for that game (he was on the bench in Edmonton against Mexico) and Begovic was a late replacement. Wagenaar and Begovic were both at Yeovil at that time, weren't they?

I'm not sure how it was dealt with Mitchell but I'm pretty sure if Lars was going to travelled for that game he was always going to be the starter.

The bottom line is, as much as Mitchell may be criticized on this forum, his handling of Begovic was appropriate at the time. Ass'smear was cap-tied at the time for goodness sakes! Plus he was like Canada's #3 or #4 back then. He had worked his way up the U20s and was starting to get in the senior squad. Then FIFA changed the rules, and he bailed. 

Okay is Busti really this good? I haven't seen him other than Toulon. Are we talking about a guy who can be a difference maker? Because I don't think behind part of a youth academy of a large club says much other than you have some level of pedigree. I'm would be more impressed by a guy getting consistent results for a pro team in a small league. But I really don't know much about Busti. 

14 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Okay is Busti really this good? I haven't seen him other than Toulon. Are we talking about a guy who can be a difference maker? Because I don't think behind part of a youth academy of a large club says much other than you have some level of pedigree. I'm would be more impressed by a guy getting consistent results for a pro team in a small league. But I really don't know much about Busti. 

Honestly, I personally really liked what I saw from him at Toulon, he is only 18 yet, but he looked really confident in front of net, and didn't shy away from trying to catch the ball as opposed to just punching it away. Another thing I really liked was that he seemed to be bred for CONCACAF, its in his blood seriously, he didn't seem afraid to go for challenges, and would stay down "faking" injuries, or taking his sweet time to restart play, and seemed like a complete natural doing so haha, and I loved every bit of it. I wouldn't mind him going on loan in the near future so that we could get a better idea of what we are getting.. but yeah.. in the mean time.. CAP HIM

Edited by LeoH037

38 minutes ago, David C. said:

1. Borjan

2. S. Thomas (based on experience only; position tenuous)

3. Leutwiler (based on experience only; position tenuous)

4. Busti (rising fast)

5. Crepeau (rising but not as fast a Busti)

Is there another keeper in Italy?

Thomas is playing in 2nd tier Norway and I don't even know if Leutwiler is getting any time. At least Crepeau seems to be killing it this year, even if it is the USL. We're totally screwed if Borjan gets hurt right now though.

Hopefully the three young guys in Italy can be our future.

11 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The probability of that is extremely low.

I was going to say hopefully one or two of them become starter worthy but why all not 3? ;) But yeah I guess Busti + one of those other two would be more realistic. Still no guarantee any of them make it since goalies are weird but they definitely look like our best prospects right now.

15 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I was going to say hopefully one or two of them become starter worthy but why all not 3? ;) But yeah I guess Busti + one of those other two would be more realistic. Still no guarantee any of them make it since goalies are weird but they definitely look like our best prospects right now.

Busti is a good prospect, the other two are marginal. Breza is in Serie D now which is a really low level of competition for a 4th tier. Desjardins had a tough year in Primavera B last season.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Any given prospect has pretty low odds. Even if you are at a club that promotes a player per year to the first team (which is a lot) and those players always have a fruitful career, that means that player had about 20 teammates on his youth team that didn’t make it. How about all those Juventus goalkeeper prospects of the past 20 years. How did things work out for them behind Buffon (I am pretty ignorant towards Italian soccer, so now I bet someone will list 10 GKs that were brought up in Juventus and went on to have great careers on other teams).