Alessandro Busti - 18 year old keeper with Juventus

Toje

6 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

This is huge if we cap tie him. Imagine if we one day have a first team players at Juventus, Bayern, Barca, Liverpool, Celtic...shit, good times

If Herdman can get Fikayo Tomori back with the CanMNT, then you can add Chelsea (Derby for now) to that list. Also addresses our desperate need for CB.

1 minute ago, Blackjack15 said:

I’m in favor of calling a young squad for this match 

Come on now US Virgin Islands is ranked 199 in the world! That’s literally the bottom 15 National Teams in the entire FIFA Rankings 

No need to call up Borjan, Hutchinson, Larin, Hoilett, Arfield Etc

If it was just a friendly, I'd agree but goal differential matters here and this is a League A + Gold Cup Qualifier. 

There should be a mix of youth and experienced guy. All 3 sub in should be players needing to by cap after the game's out of reach.

Jonathan David, Liam Millar, Alessandro Busti, Zachary Brault-Guillard comes in mind as must be cap. 

Just now, Namaste said:

If Herdman can get Fikayo Tomori back with the CanMNT, then you can add Chelsea (Derby for now) to that list. Also addresses our desperate need for CB.

Youre right, that would be another! Geez, we could have the quite the champions league representation. Although thats pretty wishful overall haha

One thing I will say is that I will be way more impressed with Herdman if we can come out of these qualifying round games with 3 wins and a number of young prospects capped.  Not that either of those things are spectacular individually - but it is the sort of thing we need to see systematically pursued to help ensure our progress forward.  The three wins is obviously the primary objective, but with generally limited opportunities to cap the young guys overall, these matches are an ideal opportunity - and this kind of frequency (against beatable opponents) will only occur this year.  

I would be fine with the u20s going as prep for their qualifying BUT for the fact we haven’t played any matches.. we can’t screw out main guys any further than they already have been.  The young guys had camp in January, June and will hopefully have another before their November qualifying.

Lets see what bullshit the CSA pulls.  Bottom line is people are getting screwed, we just don’t know who yet. 

How brilliant would it be to call 40 players half u20 and half above and then have them battle to play the qualifier + send guys you want cap tied and then come back and have an intra squad friendly (since we’re too cheap to get a real one).  We need a solution here.. and yet the media is silent.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

https://www.juventusnews24.com/alessandro-busti-in-nazionale-maggiore-difende-i-colori-del-canada/

In addition to a few "recent" posts on twitter

If this is true then that's great for us, specially since he was recently training with Juve's senior squad, so they must see something in him. We know well that we are thin on goal keepers (Borjan ever gets injured and its disaster for us), so we should definitely hoard up as much potential talent as we can.

Article says that Busti played well in the prestigious Viareggio youth tournament but did not get much time in the youth league. Over the last few months, some clubs were looking at him but he decided to stay with Juventus for his development. For the first time, Italian teams are allowed to field reserve sides in lower divisions. Juventus will have their reserves in Serie C. The article says that Busti could get a look a there, although he would be a long shot. More likely he will be with the youth team all year long.

16 minutes ago, masster said:

For the first time, Italian teams are allowed to field reserve sides in lower divisions. Juventus will have their reserves in Serie C.

It's about time they did this. Hopefully they'll change up the Serie D age requirements so it can be more competitive.

22 in 2022 

26 in 2026

30 in 2030

One of our top keeper propects. If his dream is to play in a world cup getting the call and accepting the call creates an early integration into the program and is a wise move for everyone IMO. 

Will be very happy if he gets called, accepts, and sees some minutes.

2nd half when it is 3-0 + at the half.

Edited by apbsmith

On 8/15/2018 at 5:57 PM, dyslexic nam said:

One thing I will say is that I will be way more impressed with Herdman if we can come out of these qualifying round games with 3 wins and a number of young prospects capped.  Not that either of those things are spectacular individually - but it is the sort of thing we need to see systematically pursued to help ensure our progress forward.  The three wins is obviously the primary objective, but with generally limited opportunities to cap the young guys overall, these matches are an ideal opportunity - and this kind of frequency (against beatable opponents) will only occur this year.  

I assume you are just talking about this year's qualifying games? Cause I'm really hoping we win all 4 of our qualifiers, in September, October, November, and March.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I assume you are just talking about this year's qualifying games? Cause I'm really hoping we win all 4 of our qualifiers, in September, October, November, and March.

Yeah, that is what I meant.  For some reason I was thinking 3 instead of 4.  But yeah - 4 comfortable wins and a number of players (whether duals or just promising youngsters) starting to be integrated into the squad with an eye towards 2022 (and ultimately 2026).  The wins SHOULD BE in the bag given the opponents we are facing, but we all know our collective capacity to find something to stumble on.  But getting guys into the program will be the issue that brings the coming year to the next level.

One of Herdman's selling points is the motivational, team-building aspect of his approach to the game.  I think a reasonable metric to judge this is how he can sell that vision to guys with options.  With the trump card of 2026 in his back pocket, he should be able to get some fence sitters to come into the fold and buy into the vision.  If not, he won't be delivering in an area where one of his major attributes should be in play.

With U-23 Juventus Side playing in Serie C (Division III in Italy) 

You have to wonder if Busti will be called up for a few matches during the season to eitheir play or sit on the bench 

Eitheir way the next 2 years he can continue in the primavera (U20) to develop and grow with guys his age 

Although I think if his Youth International Career kicks off in a solid way then Juventus will give him a look 

For example: U-20 CONCACAF Championships in November 2018

*Qualifies* 

U-20 FIFA World Cup in June 2019 | Poland

U23 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying

October 2019 - February 2020 TBD

*Qualifies*

Football at the Olympic Games in Tokyo 2020

This is the path for our youth teams

And Busti could be our best goalkeeper prospect that we’ve had in a long time

with all the talent coming in I believe it can happen to qualify for u20 World Cup and Olympics 

A) Something we haven’t done since 2007 

B ) Something we’ve never done! 

Excited for our Future

And of course the CPL will compliment all of this and help develop U-20/U23 players for many years to come 

Edited by Thomas

26 minutes ago, jordan said:

Dale Mitchell was In charge for Dani Fernandes and Asmir, so cap him...just cap him

Actually, Dale Mitchell was the one who cap tied Begovic in 2005 in the CONCACAF U20 Championship before FIFA changed the rule and "uncaptied" Begovic in 2009 or 2010. Not his fault.

Edited by aloyol

31 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Actually, Dale Mitchell was the one who cap tied Begovic in 2005 in the CONCACAF U20 Championship before FIFA changed the rule and "uncaptied" Begovic in 2009 or 2010. Not his fault.

Dale was in charge of the men’s team for a few years where he could have defiantly been played 

28 minutes ago, jordan said:

Dale was in charge of the men’s team for a few years where he could have defiantly been played 

The only opportunity to play Begovic (let's remember that he was our third or fourth keeper at that time) was in 2008 against Jamaica (Lars played that meaningless WCQ),.  At that time, Begovic was captied, so there was no reason to play him for cap tying reason....he was already cap tied under the rules of that time.

Not sure we should blame Mitchell for not being able to predict the future.