Alessandro Busti - 18 year old keeper with Juventus

Toje

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Wow. It's sad. What the hell happened to this guy from going from the Juve organization and playing a game for our national team to signing with a Serie D team. Hope there are better times for him in the future.

But we were screaming cap tie, cap tie, cap tie...low and behold he was always going to be available.
Back to my statement that just because you play youth ball at a top club - doesn't mean it will translate to playing pro at a top levels. 

He's still only 20, so for a GK he still has loads of time to find the right situation to turn it all around.

40 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Wow. It's sad. What the hell happened to this guy from going from the Juve organization and playing a game for our national team to signing with a Serie D team. Hope there are better times for him in the future.

As a professional player there are many factors which can lead to who you sign for and who you do not sign for.  At least he is playing.  Desjardins is out on loan in Serie C and not playing.  Breza is on loan at a much higher level but also not playing. Young keepers need to play.

The right timing is also a factor...

Edited by Buchta

I think we make a bit much of being with a top club as a kid. Most trainees at top clubs don't go on to play for those top clubs. Although Italy has been a fairly dead zone for us...I'm trying to think of any Canadian kids with recent tenures in Italian youth systems that have made it out of Italy with much of a career.

I don't see much of a difference between Serie D and the Can PL, if anything the latter has more exposure, but itme will tell.

There is an often quoted statistic that less than 0.5% of kids in England signed at Under 9 level go on to play for the first team, or make a living from the game. So maybe if we get 200 kids at Serie A academies we can realistically expect one of them to make it.

I think the source is Michael Calvin’s book “No hunger in paradise: the players. The journey. The dream.”

I think people have to look at each player individually. Obviously most players even at top academies don’t make it big. But not every youth player is the same. I’m still optimistic about players like Millar, Corbeanu even though they’re playing youth still because they’re turning in man of the match performances at U23 level and Millar is captaining his side. That’s much different than being an ordinary U16 player at a big club or a backup U18 keeper at a big club or something. 

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He did. Didnt work out in TFCII. 

Maybe he turned them down or it was strictly a favour at the time to train?

Wasn't that for about a week only?

I was thinking more along the lines of CPL or even League 1 Ontario. 

How do you go from the youngest CMNT starting GK, while training with the Juventus first team to this? What a disappointing fall. He must have a shit agent or zero confidence in his ability. You'd think he could come to the CPL team or a Scandinavian type league and get at least get a pro contract . Non-professional football though? Close the thread, he's now essentially a Sunday League player like many of us. Reminds me of Josh Doughty just throwing in the towel after ManUtd. There is a solid foundation there, why give up?

Once again, its a reminder that major academies don't mean much at all. Nothing but brand hype.

58 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

How do you go from the youngest CMNT starting GK, while training with the Juventus first team to this? What a disappointing fall. He must have a shit agent or zero confidence in his ability. You'd think he could come to the CPL team or a Scandinavian type league and get at least get a pro contract . Non-professional football though? Close the thread, he's now essentially a Sunday League player like many of us. Reminds me of Josh Doughty just throwing in the towel after ManUtd. There is a solid foundation there, why give up?

Once again, its a reminder that major academies don't mean much at all. Nothing but brand hype.

Promozione (the 6th tier) has 53 regional divisions! (according to wikipedia).

It always amazes me how many Canadians we have had at decent youth teams at Italian clubs and basically none of them have had professional careers of any note.

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

Promozione (the 6th tier) has 53 regional divisions! (according to wikipedia).

It always amazes me how many Canadians we have had at decent youth teams at Italian clubs and basically none of them have had professional careers of any note.

Reading De Rosario’s book, if the attitude he received from some players in Italy and perhaps staff regarding Canadians is entrenched throughout Italy, maybe it isn’t that surprising we haven’t had players develop as we thought they would.