CSL (any and all info/memories)

ThatOlCeePee

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I assumed 86ers because Lenarduzzi is there in a track suit and the Swangard Stadium signage.

Been a while and memories are not what they used to be but I think Carl Valentine, Ivor Evans, Paul Dolan and John Catliff are all readily identifiable and probably a few more if I put my mind to it. Is that Geoff Aunger at the end in the middle? That might help narrow down the date a bit as he mainly played elsewhere in CSL terms. Might even shift it into the APSL era.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you look beyond the very impressive looking but still generously announced crowds when the league started at Swangard, you can see the seeds for the league's eventual gut-wrenching demise in that clip. Firstly, when the camera pans across the crowd of the western final in Calgary and there are only a few hundred people there and it was similar for the final from what I remember (very vaguely now 31 years on) and you could see even then that the finances were not going to work. Once the startup capital was burned through that meant the funds were no longer there in Calgary to fly players in for games from lower mainland BC and that led to a drastic competitive imbalance in the western conference that soon got very old for everybody involved.

Secondly, you get glimpses towards the end of how bush league the weakest links in North York ( with the running track and mural at Esther Shiner) and Ottawa (tiny "stadium" with small sets of wooden bleachers in Aylmer, Quebec) in the eastern conference looked at a time when the Blizzard and Steelers were still trying to make it work at 20,000+ facilities at Varsity and Ivor Wynne. Having said that I love seeing these as a nostalgia trip and very much hope Anthony Totera gets his old VHS tapes uploaded, so more of the visual history of Canadian soccer is accessible online. I watched the game of the week religiously on TSN and was at almost every game ever played in London, Ont in 1990 and 1992, and very much regret not collecting more memorabilia from that era. Would have been great if the league could have worked.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you look beyond the very impressive looking but still generously announced crowds when the league started at Swangard, you can see the seeds for the league's eventual gut-wrenching demise in that clip. Firstly, when the camera pans across the crowd of the western final in Calgary and there are only a few hundred people there and it was similar for the final from what I remember (very vaguely now 31 years on) and you could see even then that the finances were not going to work. Once the startup capital was burned through that meant the funds were no longer there in Calgary to fly players in for games from lower mainland BC and that led to a drastic competitive imbalance in the western conference that soon got very old for everybody involved.

Secondly, you get glimpses towards the end of how bush league the weakest links in North York ( with the running track and mural at Esther Shiner) and Ottawa (tiny "stadium" with small sets of wooden bleachers in Aylmer, Quebec) in the eastern conference looked at a time when the Blizzard and Steelers were still trying to make it work at 20,000+ facilities at Varsity and Ivor Wynne. Having said that I love seeing these as a nostalgia trip and very much hope Anthony Totera gets his old VHS tapes uploaded, so more of the visual history of Canadian soccer is accessible online. I watched the game of the week religiously on TSN and was at almost every game ever played in London, Ont in 1990 and 1992, and very much regret not collecting more memorabilia from that era. Would have been great if the league could have worked.

I only remember the Steelers playing on the grass of the perfect sized Brian Timmis Stadium!

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I watched the game of the week religiously on TSN and was at almost every game ever played in London, Ont in 1990 and 1992, and very much regret not collecting more memorabilia from that era. Would have been great if the league could have worked.

Graham and Vic were a cherished part of my adolescence. There was a time when I had a stack of 86ers match programs a foot high (many signed by the entirety of the greatest Canadian club side in history) under my bed. Unfortunately, at some point, I think my mum must have put them in the recycling bin!!! ?