CSL (any and all info/memories)

ThatOlCeePee

I watched on TV as much as I could.  I was living in PEI at the time.  When I got to University, I started watching live games at that level and quickly became a fan.  Of course by the time I got to Toronto, the league was shut down and I was stuck watching the Toronto Lynx.  I loved Vic Rauter's call of the games.  Still echos.  I miss Bunbury.  I miss Pesch.

11 hours ago, coppercanuck said:

I watched on TV as much as I could.  I was living in PEI at the time.  When I got to University, I started watching live games at that level and quickly became a fan.  Of course by the time I got to Toronto, the league was shut down and I was stuck watching the Toronto Lynx.  I loved Vic Rauter's call of the games.  Still echos.  I miss Bunbury.  I miss Pesch.

Who did Bunbury and Peschisolido play for back then? 

Sorry, posted the picture twice .Didn't think it went through the 1st time.

FRONT ROW; Nino Adamo, Carlo Bosco,Mark Purdy, Mike Sweeney, Hector Marinaro Jr., Peter Pou;sen, Colin Samuels,

2ND ROW; Hector Marinaro Sr.(coach), Carlos Cordoba, Charlie Falzon,Pat Harrington,Paul Hammond,Franco LoFranco, Ross Quartarone, Dr. R.Gringmuth

3RD ROW; Dave Harper(therapist), Nick Gilbert, Igor Vrablic,Scott Landry, Trevor McCallum, Gino DiFlorio, David Byrne,Maurp LaCaprara(equipment mgr)

2 hours ago, to70 said:

Sorry, posted the picture twice .Didn't think it went through the 1st time.

FRONT ROW; Nino Adamo, Carlo Bosco,Mark Purdy, Mike Sweeney, Hector Marinaro Jr., Peter Pou;sen, Colin Samuels,

2ND ROW; Hector Marinaro Sr.(coach), Carlos Cordoba, Charlie Falzon,Pat Harrington,Paul Hammond,Franco LoFranco, Ross Quartarone, Dr. R.Gringmuth

3RD ROW; Dave Harper(therapist), Nick Gilbert, Igor Vrablic,Scott Landry, Trevor McCallum, Gino DiFlorio, David Byrne,Maurp LaCaprara(equipment mgr)

That's great thanks! 

God I love this thread. Thanks to all have contributed. I was going to say that the Blizzard kit posted was from the late 80s. I think it's the change one of the same kit as the one posted above from 1988. By 1990 they had a red kit with white shoulders and a white stripe.

I was pretty young in that era, but I have some odds and ends I can hopefully add. I've been looking for the magazine I have that has a picture of four players from the east division in their kits. My favourites were the 1987 North York kits. Unfortunately by 92 there were some real disasters. Hamilton played the Mita Cup in a kit that looked like a gold and black version of the Victoria kit above.

There's some CSL footage (including the first televised game between Ottawa and Hamilton) in this documentary. It was co-produced by Dale Barnes, the original CSL commissioner, and yet manages to get the dates the CSL existed wrong in the title card, so take this with a grain of salt. But the footage isn't bad... 

cheers, matthew

3 hours ago, matthew said:

God I love this thread. Thanks to all have contributed. I was going to say that the Blizzard kit posted was from the late 80s. I think it's the change one of the same kit as the one posted above from 1988. By 1990 they had a red kit with white shoulders and a white stripe.

I was pretty young in that era, but I have some odds and ends I can hopefully add. I've been looking for the magazine I have that has a picture of four players from the east division in their kits. My favourites were the 1987 North York kits. Unfortunately by 92 there were some real disasters. Hamilton played the Mita Cup in a kit that looked like a gold and black version of the Victoria kit above.

There's some CSL footage (including the first televised game between Ottawa and Hamilton) in this documentary. It was co-produced by Dale Barnes, the original CSL commissioner, and yet manages to get the dates the CSL existed wrong in the title card, so take this with a grain of salt. But the footage isn't bad... 

cheers, matthew

What a depression segment :( I really hope the CPL learns from that chapter, even though the landscape has changed significantly.

This is the first time I've actually read through this thread. It's making me miss my Kitchener Kickers hat! My youth soccer team (I would have been 12 at the time) got to be ball boys for a game, I'm not sure who it was against, and we got to go to the change room to get autographs. Those are long gone, I didn't know any of the players but made sure to get an autograph from one player that stood out to me in the game. At the game my parents bought me a hat that I then wore constantly. I think I probably retired the hat a mere year or so later when the Jays won the World Series for the first time and I got a hat for that occasion.

It would have been cool if I still had that hat and got a chance to wear it at a Kitchener game in the CPL, if/when they get a team. I'm jealous of the guys who still have their merch from back then.

4 hours ago, matthew said:

cheers, matthew

Yoooooo this is great, thanks for adding it. Any idea what year my kit is from? Links on the first page. 

Thanks to everyone that continues to contribute to this thread, love reading this stuff! 

3 hours ago, ThatOlCeePee said:

Yoooooo this is great, thanks for adding it. Any idea what year my kit is from? Links on the first page.

Yeah I think your Blizzard kit is from 88. If you see the clip where they're releasing the balloons above, that is the Blizzard home kit in 87. And in 1990 they looked like this: Blizzard%2090%20Road%20Team.jpg

They may have also worn the kit you posted in 89 as well, but I don't know.

cheers, matthew

51 minutes ago, matthew said:

Yeah I think your Blizzard kit is from 88. If you see the clip where they're releasing the balloons above, that is the Blizzard home kit in 87. And in 1990 they looked like this: Blizzard%2090%20Road%20Team.jpg

They may have also worn the kit you posted in 89 as well, but I don't know.

cheers, matthew

That's amazing, thanks! Really appreciate it alot 

That video was great. It's a pity there's no footage of Toronto, but I appreciate the link. James Easton was one of my favourite players in the CSL (lots of love for Hooper and Bunbury too). It was really nice to see him score a few great goals in these clips.

cheers, matthew

• 1 month later...