Matthew Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

48 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Damn looking at the latest Philippine roster and they're looking halfway decent.

Guys in the 2. and 3. Bundesliga (with Holtman about to get into the Bundesliga with Bochum), Guys in the Allsvenskan, Elitserien, Fortuna Liga and a bunch in the Thai league which is improving every year. Not to mention Etheridge obvs who is a Championship regular.

I imagine if they are able to add Raposo, Daniels, Chung and Metcalfe they're on their way to being a quality team in Southeast Asia.

edit: not to mention most of these guys are young so they have a core for future Asian Cups and 2026 qualification.

Not to call out you personally Vince, but I keep seeing people on here claim Raposo is eligible for the Philippines. Is he not Portuguese/Chinese?

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Not to call out you personally Vince, but I keep seeing people on here claim Raposo is eligible for the Philippines. Is he not Portuguese/Chinese?

I haven't seen anything either actually but others here and on Twitter have said he was and I figured if multiple people were saying he's eligible they must know something I didn't. If he's not then thanks for the info!

Edited by VinceA

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

He's most likely making less than $40k this year... Let him go get paid in Asia should he qualify and hopefully show really well for both club and country so CPL can look good and justify higher fees. 

40K is quite a bit more than Bustos made last year in the CPL especially with the COVID claw backs. Id imagine he made closer to 15K with some housing benefits thrown in. These fringe guys can potentially need the bonus money that you'd traditionally get from international call ups.(even if its a few grand) 

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

He's most likely making less than $40k this year... Let him go get paid in Asia should he qualify and hopefully show really well for both club and country so CPL can look good and justify higher fees. 

40K is quite a bit more than Bustos made last year in the CPL especially with the COVID claw backs. Id imagine he made closer to 15K with some housing benefits thrown in. These fringe guys can potentially need the bonus money that you'd traditionally get from international call ups.(even if its a few grand) 

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Where are you getting that from? I thought Bustos was the highest paid player in the league last season, and that the average is around $40k a year. I think Bustos was closer to $75 k and Baldi was probably at or above average. He sees a ton of minutes for Pacific

42 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Where are you getting that from? I thought Bustos was the highest paid player in the league last season, and that the average is around $40k a year. I think Bustos was closer to $75 k and Baldi was probably at or above average. He sees a ton of minutes for Pacific

IIRC we never knew the exact salary for Bustos, we just knew it was north of $60k.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Reading through the salary breakdown, I would not expect Baldi to be near the average.  I would expect he's more likekly in the $20k camp.  He wasn't an international player and he wasn't a player with much previous pro experience.  Depends on how they'd value a player from WFC2 and 3 games with Fresno.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Reading through the salary breakdown, I would not expect Baldi to be near the average.  I would expect he's more likekly in the $20k camp.  He wasn't an international player and he wasn't a player with much previous pro experience.  Depends on how they'd value a player from WFC2 and 3 games with Fresno.

You say that as if the squad wasn’t built around former WFC2 players

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I say that as someone who doesn't think they're paying $40k for former WFC2 players.

Odd. Whitecaps are paying several of his former WFC2 teammates significantly more than that, and others make more than that elsewhere. There are only a handful of players on the squad with more pro minutes than Baldi, and even fewer that have been as consistently good

A couple of CPL players stated that the surprisingly low salary's that were released were the numbers before the 50% paycut that many were forced into due to COVID-19. York 9's Gasparotto was quite vocal about this before he retired(again as he could make more money coaching/working at walmart)

The CPL is essentially a semi-pro league that you play in for exposure to hopefully get a move elsewhere; Which is fine we needed that. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Odd. Whitecaps are paying several of his former WFC2 teammates significantly more than that, and others make more than that elsewhere. There are only a handful of players on the squad with more pro minutes than Baldi, and even fewer that have been as consistently good

Yes, the Whitecaps as an MLS team with a league mandated minimum higher than $40k are paying some of his WFC2 teammates more. The fact that they cut him and chose his teammates over Baldi would likely have begun to limit some of his options, as well as indicating what they thought he'd be long term. This, or course, is a reason for the CPL - to capture some of the players that might need additional time but won't get it at an MLS club. But, that also starts to dictate what CPL clubs will pay them. Based on his play, he might have now earned a higher salary. But I would suspect that in the first few years he was not earning $40k, and that if he now has the opportunity to move elsewhere his salary could move in a direction the CPL can't match.