Matthew Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, masster said:

Article on Matthew Baldisimo joining the Philippines:
https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/big-baldi-accepts-call-up-to-philippines-with-an-eye-on-world-cup-qualification

The Phillipines approached Michael as well, but it seems like he is committed to the Canadian program.

Read this article, and what also stands out to me is the implied Canadian inferiority complex. Describes the Phillipines WCQ campaign as if they have a chance, yet calls Canada's campaign a 'long-shot'.

The Phillipines are ranked #125 in the world, and at the time of the draw were 1 spot behind powerhouse Taiwan and #24 in the AFC. 

10 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Read this article, and what also stands out to me is the implied Canadian inferiority complex. Describes the Phillipines WCQ campaign as if they have a chance, yet calls Canada's campaign a 'long-shot'.

The Phillipines are ranked #125 in the world, and at the time of the draw were 1 spot behind powerhouse Taiwan and #24 in the AFC. 

Patience young Jedi

The Canadian awakening is about to occur. The next 12 months will be huge

I like Michael Baldisimo but I dont think he ever cracks Canada's starting 11

If Michael ended up with Philippines, could Matthew end up there? Sure but then again I doubt it. I mean a similar situation I bring up would be the Boateng brothers. Jerome ended up with Germany and Kevin Prince ended up with Ghana. How is it relevant? It is relevant for the simple reason that the Baldisimo brothers could very well end up in the same situation and could you imagine.

50 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If Michael ended up with Philippines, could Matthew end up there? Sure but then again I doubt it. I mean a similar situation I bring up would be the Boateng brothers. Jerome ended up with Germany and Kevin Prince ended up with Ghana. How is it relevant? It is relevant for the simple reason that the Baldisimo brothers could very well end up in the same situation and could you imagine.

Nailed it. 

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Or.... DeGuzmans.

In less than 2 months from now Michael Baldisimo will be playing for Canada in the Gold Cup and cap tied to Canada.

While I generally want Canadians playing for Canada, I make an exception here for Matthew. This gives him a chance to play international football outside of our confederation. He's not going to a rival team like Telfer and T&T. 

It has been 4 years since he's been involved with the youth teams and we keep getting stronger players.

I will cheer for him as he goes on this journey because he is still a Canadian player in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I will cheer for him as he goes on this journey because he is still a Canadian player in my eyes.

Even if he is playing for the Philippines he is still representing Canada in a way. Canadian born and developed player representing a large nation like the Philippines because the talent level of the Canadian national team is too high. We are exporting talent now!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

In less than 2 months from now Michael Baldisimo will be playing for Canada in the Gold Cup and cap tied to Canada.

While I generally want Canadians playing for Canada, I make an exception here for Matthew. This gives him a chance to play international football outside of our confederation. He's not going to a rival team like Telfer and T&T. 

It has been 4 years since he's been involved with the youth teams and we keep getting stronger players.

I generally make exceptions for guys who are probably not going to ever get a serious look from Canada but can help grow a program elsewhere.

I can't really get mad at a player wanting to further their career through their heritage if Canada won't call them up. I always cheer on the likes of Telfer, Geffrard, and now the likes of Pena and Baldisimo. And I love the angle of it's Canadians that are good enough to play international footy who have developed through our pathways.

Realistically if Canada is letting guys go then the expectation is our program is good enough to beat the teams they join. Granted we got a nice wake-up call when Geffrard's Haiti bounced us in 2019.

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I generally make exceptions for guys who are probably not going to ever get a serious look from Canada but can help grow a program elsewhere.

I can't really get mad at a player wanting to further their career through their heritage if Canada won't call them up. I always cheer on the likes of Telfer, Geffrard, and now the likes of Pena and Baldisimo. And I love the angle of it's Canadians that are good enough to play international footy who have developed through our pathways.

Realistically if Canada is letting guys go then the expectation is our program is good enough to beat the teams they join. Granted we got a nice wake-up call when Geffrard's Haiti bounced us in 2019.

Yeah I mean what do you do about guys like Geffrard and Telfer. Both are not going to have a meaningful career with Canada, but both are good enough to start for a rival team who can beat us. In a way I still want us to cap players like that, because you never know how they'll develop down the road and more importantly, you don't want them hurting you like Geffrard did. At the same time, the idea we should have capped him would have been silly. There's just not much you can do except tilt your cap to guys like that and sort of be happy for them, even when they beat you.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is very true. I mostly expect the Gold Cup roster to be domestic based players. I dont see him as a starter but he'll likely get cap tied.

I think its great to see Canadians going off and play international football for other countries. Not if they choose that country over Canada but like a Ryan Telfer or this situation. They're kinda flying the soccer Canada flag a bit is how I see it

I fully support Matthew's decision to represent the Philippines.  He is aware of where he is in our system and realistically it's not likely he is ever going to be called.  Michael on the other hand may play a part of our depth in our program.  We are so deep in the middle that I rarely see him getting called for meaningful games but he still has some developing to do so I am happy he is holding off switching allegiances.

I know @Obinnayou have always been a big fan of Telfer but I do not see this as a concern.  Realistically he already has way more caps for T&T then he would ever get with Canada.  And hopefully T&T doesn't cause us any pain in the future.  There should be no reason why T&T should be competing with us.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, Obinna said:

Yeah I mean what do you do about guys like Geffrard and Telfer. Both are not going to have a meaningful career with Canada, but both are good enough to start for a rival team who can beat us. In a way I still want us to cap players like that, because you never know how they'll develop down the road and more importantly, you don't want them hurting you like Geffrard did. At the same time, the idea we should have capped him would have been silly. There's just not much you can do except tilt your cap to guys like that and sort of be happy for them, even when they beat you.

Yep. I was insanely gutted when we were eliminated by Haiti but you better believe I was cheering hard when they took Mexico to extra time.

18 hours ago, sandman said:

Good exposure in Asia for him, next step is a move to an Asian league as he counts as a domestic in most of the top divisions over there. 

I would prefer him to stay in the CPL if he continues to perform well. We need this league to improve and have as much local content as possible.

51 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I would prefer him to stay in the CPL if he continues to perform well. We need this league to improve and have as much local content as possible.

A few have mentioned if he plays three games for the Philippines he gains ASEAN status which also means he can get a more lucrative deal in Korea or Japan or places like that where they specifically have a slot for a player like that. He could end up getting good money. Regardless Pacific would get paid big.

I do want him at Pacific as long as possible but that's because I like watching him play.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

A few have mentioned if he plays three games for the Philippines he gains ASEAN status which also means he can get a more lucrative deal in Korea or Japan or places like that where they specifically have a slot for a player like that. He could end up getting good money. Regardless Pacific would get paid big.

Well, no. Depends on what his contract is. Did he sign for more than 1 year?  It could easily be a free transfer.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, no. Depends on what his contract is. Did he sign for more than 1 year?  It could easily be a free transfer.

I figure if Pacific do their due diligence once he gains status they'd sign him to a new deal to make sure they get a fee. That's just asset management.

If he says no that's another matter but he seems to want to be Pacific long-term.

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I figure if Pacific do their due diligence once he gains status they'd sign him to a new deal to make sure they get a fee. That's just asset management.

If he says no that's another matter but he seems to want to be Pacific long-term.

If I'm him, I don't sign long-term if I think a larger contract is available from Asia. You can get paid more if you're free than if they're paying a transfer fee as well.

Edit: The Vancouver Sun article talking him had him quoted as saying he was looking towards Asia to play, so while I'm sure he had originally intended to play for Pacific long-term i think this call up has changed that. Still requires him to get the 3 games played though.

Edited by Watchmen

Damn looking at the latest Philippine roster and they're looking halfway decent.

Guys in the 2. and 3. Bundesliga (with Holtman about to get into the Bundesliga with Bochum), Guys in the Allsvenskan, Elitserien, Fortuna Liga and a bunch in the Thai league which is improving every year. Not to mention Etheridge obvs who is a Championship regular.

I imagine if they are able to add Daniels, Chung and Metcalfe they're on their way to being a quality team in Southeast Asia.

edit: not to mention most of these guys are young so they have a core for future Asian Cups and 2026 qualification.

edit 2: so Raposo doesn't seem to actually be of Filipino heritage. 

Edited by VinceA

I mean all power to the guy. Honestly, the league needs its best players to transfer overseas and preform to gain a positive reputation. Nobody expected the $100k fees from MLS and $400k fee from Europe for Borges to happen in year one, and I think it created some unrealistic expectations. I don't think we can say our exports have preformed particularly well so far, so I think free transfers will most likely be the norm to places like D2 Belgium or Scandinavia until our guys show they can be difference makers. 

He's most likely making less than $40k this year... Let him go get paid in Asia should he qualify and hopefully show really well for both club and country so CPL can look good and justify higher fees. 

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Damn looking at the latest Philippine roster and they're looking halfway decent.

Guys in the 2. and 3. Bundesliga (with Holtman about to get into the Bundesliga with Bochum), Guys in the Allsvenskan, Elitserien, Fortuna Liga and a bunch in the Thai league which is improving every year. Not to mention Etheridge obvs who is a Championship regular.

I imagine if they are able to add Raposo, Daniels, Chung and Metcalfe they're on their way to being a quality team in Southeast Asia.

edit: not to mention most of these guys are young so they have a core for future Asian Cups and 2026 qualification.

Have you ever taken a look at where their players are from?  Only two of the current 26 players called up are actually born in the Phillipines.  There ain't anyone in the game working as hard as the recruiter for the Philippines National program.

Etheridge - Born in England to English father and Filipino mother

Schipmann - Born in Germany with Filipino ancestry

Mendoza - Born in Denmark to Danish Mother & Filipino father

Silva - Born in Spain with a Filipino grandparent

de Murga - Born in Spain with Filipino ancestry

Woodland - Born in UAE to English father and Filipino mother (raised in England)

Nyholm - Born in Sweden to Swedish father and Filipino mother

Steuble - Born in Switzerland to Swiss father and Filipino mother

Tabinas - Born and raised in Japan with Filipino ancestry

de Vera - Born in USA with Filipino ancestry

Kempter - Born in Switzerland to Swiss father and Filipino mother

Straub - Born in Germany to German father & Filipino mother

Ramsey - Born in Australia to Scottish father and Filipino mother

Schrock - Born in Germany to German father & Filipino mother

Reichelt - Born in Germany to German father & Filipino mother

Holtmann - Born in Germany with Filipino ancestry

Obermair - Born in Germany to German father & Filipino mother

Bias - Born in Germany with Filipino ancestry