Jump to content

Matthew Baldisimo


Dub Narcotic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sean Melvin, Matthew Baldisimo and Terran Campbell join Fresno FC for 2018 USL season

 

Fresno Football Club announced it has signed three players from MLS affiliate Vancouver Whitecaps FC, pending league and federation approval, increasing the Foxes’ roster to six players ahead of their 2018 season. The trio, who are all on USL contracts, includes goalkeeper Sean Melvin, midfielder Matthew Baldisimo, and forward Terran Campbell. All three players graduated from the Whitecaps FC Residency program and made their professional debuts in USL with Whitecaps FC 2.

“Playing with Fresno FC will be a great opportunity for Sean, Matthew, and Terran,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. “This will be a highly competitive and challenging environment for them under head coach Adam Smith. Our staff in Vancouver will be tracking their progress closely.”

“The players that are coming in, they know the league, have played in the league and they’re good guys,” said Foxes head coach Adam Smith. “They’ve been hand-picked by Vancouver and are players the Whitecaps feel have a chance to go on to the next level. It’s great for Fresno and it’s great for Vancouver.”

2016.09.11_Caps_USL_v_Col_SPrgs_HiRes_04

Matthew Baldisimo / Photo courtesy of Whitecaps FC

Baldisimo, 19, has started in 23 of his 42 USL appearances over the past two seasons. He led WFC2 with 61 tackles in 2017. At international level, the midfielder has represented Canada at the U-15 and U-16 levels, and captained his country at the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship tournament in Honduras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/matthew-baldisimo-called-up-to-philippines-national-team

Has filed his one-time-switch for the Philippines.

Doesn't speak the language and has never been to the country!

Now that his U23/U24 chances are over, it would have been very difficult for him to break into the senior #CanMNT side. Best of luck to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/matthew-baldisimo-called-up-to-philippines-national-team

Has filed his one-time-switch for the Philippines.

Doesn't speak the language and has never been to the country!

Now that his U23/U24 chances are over, it would have been very difficult for him to break into the senior #CanMNT side. Best of luck to him.

I saw your post on Michael's thread. I typed in Matthew Baldisimo into the search bar but his name never came up and so I just posted this news onto his brother's. Thanks for locating it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

He was excellent last season for Pacific, along with Kadin Chung. They were both good in year 1, but I thought they took massive strides last season. I wonder if Kadin was called too?
It’s a shame we haven’t played more games recently and I hope that doesn’t stagnate any of their careers 

Edited by Aird25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/matthew-baldisimo-called-up-to-philippines-national-team

Has filed his one-time-switch for the Philippines.

Doesn't speak the language and has never been to the country!

Now that his U23/U24 chances are over, it would have been very difficult for him to break into the senior #CanMNT side. Best of luck to him.

I always find it funny when this get's mentioned. I'm sure he won't be captain of the team.
And I'm 1000% sure he's more Filipino than Scott is Canadian. 

28 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He was excellent last season for Pacific, along with Kadin Chung. They were both good in year 1, but I thought they took massive strides last season. I wonder if Kadin was called too?
It’s a shame we haven’t played more games recently and I hope that doesn’t stagnate any of their careers 

The Philippines have got the opportunity to take a few Canadian internationals in Chung, Aidan Daniels, Metcalfe and Raposo.

Michael is the only one I see with a clear path to CMNT. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering the minutes Raposo is getting I think it's more likely he gets called into the Gold cup than defects to the Philippines. Aiden Daniels just had a pretty decent U-23 tournament so he may at least be in consideration for the GC roster too. Ditto for Metcalfe and he's still in the mix for the Whitecaps, albeit far down the midfield depth chart. He also just made his Canadian debut at any level ever, so considering that and his situation at the Whitecaps he probably won't be in a rush to leave the Canadian program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Language will not be a problem.  English is widely spoken in Philippines.

its their official language....and then there’s the fancy Taglish, that my mother in law thinks I understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Considering the minutes Raposo is getting I think it's more likely he gets called into the Gold cup than defects to the Philippines. Aiden Daniels just had a pretty decent U-23 tournament so he may at least be in consideration for the GC roster too. Ditto for Metcalfe and he's still in the mix for the Whitecaps, albeit far down the midfield depth chart. He also just made his Canadian debut at any level ever, so considering that and his situation at the Whitecaps he probably won't be in a rush to leave the Canadian program.

I think we’ll have a better guess of who might be on that GC roster, once our WCQ squad is released.

While al those guys are possibly in play, there’s a lot of guys that could trump them just on played minutes...Teibert, Edwards, Pasher, Elva, to name a few. 

TBH Metcalfe of the three was the only one who I can say had a good tournament. The other two were meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think we’ll have a better guess of who might be on that GC roster, once our WCQ squad is released.

While al those guys are possibly in play, there’s a lot of guys that could trump them just on played minutes...Teibert, Edwards, Pasher, Elva, to name a few. 

TBH Metcalfe of the three was the only one who I can say had a good tournament. The other two were meh.

If we don't make the OCT, our "B" Squad will look a whole lot different!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I think we’ll have a better guess of who might be on that GC roster, once our WCQ squad is released.

While al those guys are possibly in play, there’s a lot of guys that could trump them just on played minutes...Teibert, Edwards, Pasher, Elva, to name a few. 

TBH Metcalfe of the three was the only one who I can say had a good tournament. The other two were meh.

Yeah I agree he had the best tournament of the 3.

I think Raposo had the worst tournament, but he's played the more minutes than Metcalfe since, and those minutes have been at a higher level than what Daniels is playing at. I imagine he's at least being considered and if he is, it's hard to imagine the other two players who had stronger Olympic qualifying tournaments than him wouldn't be.

But yeah as you said, the picture will become more clear when the WCQ squad is out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matthew is likely an automatic start in midfield for the Philippines. He was unlikely to even make a c or d team for Canada. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Philippines over the years as my wife is Pinoy. Have always enjoyed my time there as I'm sure Matthew will. As others have mentioned everyone speaks at least some amount of English so there is little culture shock. Also probably doesn't hurt to show case himself to Asian clubs in Korea, Japan and China.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 12:27 PM, spinrack said:

Language will not be a problem.  English is widely spoken in Philippines.

Well aware of that and that English can even be a lingua franca in a country with so many native languages. I just thought it was interesting that he didn't have any fluency in Tagalog or Cebuano or any other native language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, masster said:

Article on Matthew Baldisimo joining the Philippines:
https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/big-baldi-accepts-call-up-to-philippines-with-an-eye-on-world-cup-qualification

The Phillipines approached Michael as well, but it seems like he is committed to the Canadian program.

'Michael wasn’t ready to commit. He wanted to leave the door open, and still explore Canada, but that’s not something I entertain. If you’re given an opportunity and you turn it down, there’s not a second one coming from me,” said Cooper. “There won’t be any future call for Michael. There’s so many options that we don’t want to flirt with people and play tug of war. You want to take up the challenge or you don’t.'

Sounds good lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

'Michael wasn’t ready to commit. He wanted to leave the door open, and still explore Canada, but that’s not something I entertain. If you’re given an opportunity and you turn it down, there’s not a second one coming from me,” said Cooper. “There won’t be any future call for Michael. There’s so many options that we don’t want to flirt with people and play tug of war. You want to take up the challenge or you don’t.'

Sounds good lol

What an idiotic stance. This would be like us saying that to Ferdi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What an idiotic stance. This would be like us saying that to Ferdi. 

Its a negotiation tactic.  They were trying to intimidate him into accepting the call.  Now they just have to stick to their guns, if they call again later this summer the credibility is gone and the next dual will know it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Its a negotiation tactic.  They were trying to intimidate him into accepting the call.  Now they just have to stick to their guns, if they call again later this summer the credibility is gone and the next dual will know it.  

Well clearly, but it's not a good one. "Oh no! I better accept a call from the Philippines or else..." laughable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I haven't completely crunched the numbers but they could have a massive game lined up against China. A win might put them thru. More of a basketball nation but they're an enthusiastic lot so there could be some excitement around that team

A more likely candidate because I think he's eligible thru him mother is Ryan Raposo. I really doubt he'll ever crack Canada

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...