2017 MLS Expansion Draft

harrycoyster

Teams get to protect 11 players. Here are the players from the CMLS teams that would need to be protected (released players still need to be protected to hold contract negotiations with the player):

TFC: Alseth, Beitashour, Bradley, Cheyrou, Cooper, Edwards, Endoh, Giovinco, Hagglund, Hasler, Hernandez, Irwin, Mavinga, Moor, Morrow, Osorio, Pais, Ricketts, Vazquez, Zavaleta

VWC: Bolanos, DeJong, Flores, Ghazal, Harvey, Hurtado, Ibini, Nosa, Jacobson, Levis, Marinovic, Maund, Mezquida, Nerwinski, Ousted, Parker, Reyna, Rosales, Richey, Seiler, Shea, Tchani, Techera, Waston, Williams, Edgar, Laba, Greig

IM: Bernardello, Bernier, Boldor, Bush, Cabrera, Camara, Ciman, DePuy, Donadel, Duvall, Dzemaili, Fisher, Francis, Kronberg, Lovitz, Mancosu, Odoro, Oyongo, Piatti, Piette, Romero, Salazar

Annoying that every year there is another expansion and expansion draft. I hope someday that CPL gets strong enough that the 3 MLS teams can leave this crap league. Not that I am worried about the Impact losing players though. It is hard to pick 11 guys worthy of protecting from that roster list.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

...and the march to become the old NASL continues. Expansion money is such a tempting mistress...

I agree in a certain way having been old enough to follow and attend the old Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL, however, so far most of the expansion teams that have been coming into the MLS in the past 10 years have been pretty successful off the field so so far so good.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

And dilution of talent. Keep growing too fast MLS

Soccer is not like any of the other big sports in North America there is so much talent to choose from world wide, look at Atlanta with the success they had on the field and some of the new talented players they brought in, with proper scouting they are many young and older players around the world that can be brought in and add new talent to the MLS with these expansion teams, look for LAFC to be like Atlanta and have an immediate impact on the league with new players they bring in.

6 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I really think the plan is to keep adding teams until they can have an MLS 1st division and 2nd division 

They will mask it from being pro/rel, but I think a 1st and 2nd division are established within 20 years. Maybe the top 8 teams from the 1st division go straight into the playoffs second round and top four teams of the 2nd division start in the wildcard round + get to be in the 1st division next season.

Something like that where it isn't pro/rel but totally is pro/rel.

Why would the owners collectively decide to establish a mechanism that devalues the investment of half of their ranks and likely at a point in time devalue their own investmemt (if their club is unlucky enough to be "relegated")?

If anything you're going to see the bigger clubs in Europe pull themselves out of a pro/rel system onto a path of greater financial certainty, whether it be a permanent super club league or some other pan-regional entities outside of the bounds of their respective FA's.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Why would the owners collectively decide to establish a mechanism that devalues the investment of half of their ranks and likely at a point in time devalue their own investmemt (if their club is unlucky enough to be "relegated")?

For 10-15 more $150 million expansion fees.

Could be wrong, but Lefèvre has to be protected since he's on a senior roster contract. 

I mean they're not going to protect Bernardello, Bernier, Kronberg, Francis and Romero. I expect the same for Oyongo and Boldor since the latter is on his way out. If I'm the Impact, those are the 11 I'm protecting:

Bush, Cabrera, Ciman, Duvall, Dzemaili, Fisher, Lovitz, Mancosu Piatti, Piette, Salazar.

That would leave Boldor DePuy, Donadel Lefèvre Oduro and a bunch of players who aren't coming back. I could see the Impact protecting MAncosu or 

9 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

And they can take in those fees without creating a "relegation" system.

Sure, but having a 44 team league devalues all teams to an extent....and 2 of the most prominent US Soccer President candidates are running on the platform of pro/rel (Winograd wants limited pro/rel right now, Wynalda within 20 years). I think it happens eventually. 

10 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Homegrowns are automatically protected. He's listed as a homegrown on the MLS website. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/14/2017-mls-expansion-draft-set-december-12-lafc-have-five-picks

Generation adidas players and off-budget Homegrown Players are automatically exempt from selection and do not need to be protected. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2017/montreal-impact

6 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/14/2017-mls-expansion-draft-set-december-12-lafc-have-five-picks

Generation adidas players and off-budget Homegrown Players are automatically exempt from selection and do not need to be protected. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2017/montreal-impact

Interesting. That appears to be a new rule.

Also means TFC would need to protect Marky Delgado...which is a pretty huge deal.

35 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Sure, but having a 44 team league devalues all teams to an extent....and 2 of the most prominent US Soccer President candidates are running on the platform of pro/rel (Winograd wants limited pro/rel right now, Wynalda within 20 years). I think it happens eventually. 

US Soccer advocating pro/rel and MLS owners advocating it are two different things. 

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS are more likely to copy MLB by having 2 leagues with X number of teams meeting in a "world series" at the end of the season than creating pro/rel

Exactly. 

"So i give you $150 Million to join your league and my club could end up in "MLS2"? No thanks."

6 hours ago, 1996 said:

Soccer is not like any of the other big sports in North America there is so much talent to choose from world wide, look at Atlanta with the success they had on the field and some of the new talented players they brought in, with proper scouting they are many young and older players around the world that can be brought in and add new talent to the MLS with these expansion teams, look for LAFC to be like Atlanta and have an immediate impact on the league with new players they bring in.

not talking internationals but domestic players. 

Archived