# of MLSers @ RUSSIA 2018

Robert

32 - competing countries.

23 - players per country.

736 - Players in total competing at RUSSIA 2018.

How many of these 736 competing players have an MLS contract?   2%? - 3%? - 4% - 5%?

Will this small number of MLS players competing at RUSSIA 2018 affect the drawing power of the MLS over the course of the next 4 years?

1 hour ago, Robert said:

How many of these 736 competing players have an MLS contract? 

Don't know, why don't you figure it out based on the rosters used for each teams last qualification match?

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Will this small number of MLS players competing at RUSSIA 2018 affect the drawing power of the MLS over the course of the next 4 years?

Not at all, drawing power is about money for the experienced guys and playing time for the inexperienced guys. 

I can't imaging any player with an MLS contract offer in hand pausing and saying to himself "this is a great offer but how many MLS players played in the WC last time around?!"

11 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not at all, drawing power is about money for the experienced guys and playing time for the inexperienced guys.

I can't imaging any player with an MLS contract offer in hand pausing and saying to himself "this is a great offer but how many MLS players played in the WC last time around?!"

That's right, "drawing power is about money," and the source of that money is the MLS consumer. The fact that there will be so few MLS players showcasing their talent at Russia 2018 will have a negative impact for the next 4 years on getting bums in the seats at MLS matches.

It is highly unlikely that the MLS will be represented by a single player beyond the group stage at Russia 2018. Showcase players equals drawing power.

3 hours ago, Robert said:

That's right, "drawing power is about money," and the source of that money is the MLS consumer. The fact that there will be so few MLS players showcasing their talent at Russia 2018 will have a negative impact for the next 4 years on getting bums in the seats at MLS matches.

So you believe one of the factors for soccer consumers in NA when deciding whether or not to purchase MLS tickets is how many players competed in the last WC? Even if this is at all significant it would have to be based on the assumption that consumers know how many played in the last WC in order to determine whether the drop/increase will affect their decision to purchase/not purchase. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

I think the better question is who has more players repped: mls or chinese super league

Seeing as the Saudi Professional League will have 23 players represented in Russia I wonder if Robert's argument will work in reverse? They're going to see a ton of new foreigners desperate for contracts and attendance is going to spike!

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So you believe one of the factors for soccer consumers in NA when deciding whether or not to purchase MLS tickets is how many players competed in the last WC? Even if this is at all significant it would have to be based on the assumption that consumers know how many played in the last WC in order to determine whether the drop/increase will affect their decision to purchase/not purchase.

I think consumers, and soccer consumers in particular, regardless where they live, are influenced by the quality and success of the product they are supporting. Especially in NA, where the CSL and the NASL both folded. Why did these leagues fold? First and foremost, because there were not enough consumers buying tickets to their matches!

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know, dont you think MLS has reached a point where people are showing up anyways? They wont get the growth that an american run to the semis would give, but I'm not sure no MLS reps late in the tourney will hurt much. 

I wonder why Italians are so upset? Sure they have enough pasta-eating consumers, who live and breath soccer, that Serie A can absorb the loss of some casual consumers. Not to mention that there will still be plenty of Series A players showcased at Russia 2018, even if they are not wearing Azzurri. Unfortunately NA is not in that position.

I guess the PPP (potentially positive point) that I'm trying to make here, is that the MLS could learn a valuable lesson from the USA's failure to qualify for Russia 2018, which is; If the MLS became a little less US-centric and allowed Canadian teams to field more Canadian players, then Canada would stand a better chance of qualifying for a World Cup Final tournament, and hence more MLS players would be showcased at the big dance.

Unfortunately, the only time the USA seeks out Canadian participation is when they are bidding to host a World Cup Final tournament themselves.

17 hours ago, matty said:

Countries with MLS Players called up in last year

CONCACAF

Costa Rica - 10

Panama - 9

Mexico - 3

CONMEBOL

Peru - 2

Uruguay - 1

CAF

Nigeria, Senegal - 1

UEFA

Belgium, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland - 1

Thanks Matty. I can appreciate the amount of time it took to gather this information. 31 MLS players represents just over 4% of the 736 players competing at Russia 2018, which falls right within the range I established in the opening post. Again, soccer consumers are no different from any other consumers. Organizers of golf and tennis tournaments always strive to get as many top-100 world-ranked players in their events, as they know from experience that those players will increase ticket sales. One of the reasons I don't buy tickets to MLS games is because I don't believe in spending $50 or $60 to watch two teams that combined can not field a player ranked in the top 1,000 players in the world. Not one of the countries you listed will make it to the semi-finals of Russia 2018. That accounts for 100 players already.

22 minutes ago, Robert said:

Thanks Matty. I can appreciate the amount of time it took to gather this information. 31 MLS players represents just over 4% of the 736 players competing at Russia 2018, which falls right within the range I established in the opening post. Again, soccer consumers are no different from any other consumers. Organizers of golf and tennis tournaments always strive to get as many top-100 world-ranked players in their events, as they know from experience that those players will increase ticket sales. One of the reasons I don't buy tickets to MLS games is because I don't believe in spending $50 or $60 to watch two teams that combined can not field a player ranked in the top 1,000 players in the world. Not one of the countries you listed will make it to the semi-finals of Russia 2018. That accounts for 100 players already.

I would say that Mexico, Uruguay, Belgium, and Spain have a chance at the Semis. However, none of these teams will regularly feature an MLS player in their lineup expect perhaps Belgium. I am not sure if Ciman is a regular starter for them. Kendal Waston will be the closest thing to a star representing MLS at the World Cup and that is because there will be a lot of defending for Costa Rica. Although MLS quality is improving, there is still a long way to go.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:24 PM, Robert said:

Lol good for you I'm giving up my TFC season tickets then , what was I thinking spending my hard earned money on watching players that are not in the top 1000 players in the world. Why the hell am I getting exciting hoping TFC can win their first MLS Cup in a league where most teams can't field players ranked in the top 1000 in the world, actually while I'm at it I'm going to call my cousin In Australia who has season tickets in the A League in Australia, he has  season tickets for Sydney FC, I'm going to  tell him to stop spending all that money on Sydney FC because he should not be spending all that money to support a team and a league that can't field players that are ranked in the top 1000 in the world, come to think of it I should go on a world wide mission to make people aware that if you live in a country or a part of the world where your spending good money to watch a team in a league that can't field players that are not ranked in the top 1000th. players in the world , then they  should wake up and stop spending good money on these leagues, I'm getting right on that thanks Robert I'm following your lead.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:24 PM, Robert said:

But yet Costa Rica in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil  with MLS players won a group with Italy, Uruguay and England lol, Italy and England went home they did not even get out of their group lol!

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, Robert said:

I wonder why Italians are so upset? Sure they have enough pasta-eating consumers, who live and breath soccer, that Serie A can absorb the loss of some casual consumers. Not to mention that there will still be plenty of Series A players showcased at Russia 2018, even if they are not wearing Azzurri. Unfortunately NA is not in that position.

I guess the PPP (potentially positive point) that I'm trying to make here, is that the MLS could learn a valuable lesson from the USA's failure to qualify for Russia 2018, which is; If the MLS became a little less US-centric and allowed Canadian teams to field more Canadian players, then Canada would stand a better chance of qualifying for a World Cup Final tournament, and hence more MLS players would be showcased at the big dance.

Unfortunately, the only time the USA seeks out Canadian participation is when they are bidding to host a World Cup Final tournament themselves.

Now I see why the hate on for the MLS and why the " I'm not spending money to watch players not ranked in top 1000th. " you should state the real reason instead of that reason. Let me put it to you and all the MLS hating people who hate the MLS for this Canadian playing rule , I don't like it either but it is slowly changing and opportunities are opening up for Canadian players who have gone through MLS and other recognized academies that are able to play on any MLS team Canadian or American. Canada since the demise of the old CSL in the 90's had every opportunity to start our own MLS like league but never did. MLS was started with the US players development in mind  and that's why this Canadian players on American teams rule was started simple as that, however, with the bringing in of Canadian teams in the MLS it gave Canadian players a shot at playing pro at a decent level and it just brought more attention to soccer in the three Canadian cities. Not since the days of the old NASL did we see the type of attendances we are now seeing consistently in these 3 Canadian MLS cities and the media attention that is going with it, this is good for soccer in general in Canada and is helping the growth of the popularity of the sport in Canada. But of course many will point out that outside of the MLS Canadian cities not many people even know what the MLS is, well that has a lot to do with the fact that with no MLS team close by people in Canadian cities with no MLS teams have no day to day connection to teams and plus soccer in terms of watching and following it unless it's a World Cup or any other big international tournament is far behind the more established sports in Canada , so why would they follow the MLS in Canadian cities with no MLS team. However, the MLS is doing ok in 3 of Canada's major cities in the 3 biggest media markets in the Country with a combined population of over 10 million if you count the metro population of these 3 cities so that's a good thing and hopefully with the added media attention that the media is giving to these 3 Canadian MLS teams is it helping soccer become more popular to the general public and hopefully keeping kids playing soccer and hopefully one day because of all this we see more good Canadian players being produced. With no MLS in Canada right now you would see no extra media coverage given to soccer, no prove that soccer as a spectator sport could work because you would not have seen the consistent nice crowds you see in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver without the MLS, soccer is in the conversation now in the general media in these Canadian MLS cities almost everyday , before the MLS came to town the only time you saw soccer talked about was during World Cups and Euro's not anymore and this is a good thing for soccer's popularity. Therefore, with all it's warts and controversies the MLS has done a lot of good in a good portion of the Canadian population, now it's the job of hopefully the CPL to expand soccer's presence and popularity even more in Canadian cities with MLS teams and especially in Canadian cities without MLS teams.

9 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Now I see why the hate on for the MLS and why the " I'm not spending money to watch players not ranked in top 1000th. " you should state the real reason instead of that reason. Let me put it to you and all the MLS hating people who hate the MLS for this Canadian playing rule , I don't like it either but it is slowly changing and opportunities are opening up for Canadian players who have gone through MLS and other recognized academies that are able to play on any MLS team Canadian or American. Canada since the demise of the old CSL in the 90's had every opportunity to start our own MLS like league but never did. MLS was started with the US players development in mind  and that's why this Canadian players on American teams rule was started simple as that, however, with the bringing in of Canadian teams in the MLS it gave Canadian players a shot at playing pro at a decent level and it just brought more attention to soccer in the three Canadian cities. Not since the days of the old NASL did we see the type of attendances we are now seeing consistently in these 3 Canadian MLS cities and the media attention that is going with it, this is good for soccer in general in Canada and is helping the growth of the popularity of the sport in Canada.

First off, I am not a MLS-hater. I watch as many MLS matches on TV as possible, and despite living in Victoria and being a Whitrcaps supporter, I would now like to see TFC win the MLS Cup this year. Not being an American, I am an "America First" hater. Why should I play second-fiddle to an arrogant Yank? Viva la Trump? F that shite!

The only time I pay to watch the Whitecaps is for "Coupe des Voyageurs" matches, which aren't MLS matches.

As to comparing ticket prices:

If I were to be in San Jose, Costa Rica, this Monday, November 22nd, I could attend the Saprissa vs. Santos match, at the Estadio Saprissa, for as little as ¢1,000.00, which roughly equates to about $2,

http://www.eticket.cr/masinformacion.aspx?q=rEEehBkNeQfs8oQ0O9g3ig

Whereas:

If I were to be in Toronto, on Wednesday, November 29th, I could attend the TFC vs. Columbus Crew match, at BMO Field, for as little as $130.00.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tickets/city-of-toronto/toronto-fc-tfc-playoff-tickets-vs-columbus-crew-fc-nov-29/1314182187

Let's just skip the comparisions with European leagues, and stick to doing the math on the above, shall we?

The standard of living in Costa Rica to Canada and the US is like night and day and Toronto is one of the most expensive cities to live in so ticket prices go with the territory my friend , what does the average worker make in Toronto compared to someone in San Jose Costa Rica it's all relative. Entertainment in Toronto no matter what you are doing is expensive I know I live here and going to watch even a soccer game in Toronto even in the MLS is not cheap it's Toronto one of the richest cities in the world nothing is cheap here my friend .

36 minutes ago, 1996 said:

The standard of living in Costa Rica to Canada and the US is like night and day and Toronto is one of the most expensive cities to live in so ticket prices go with the territory my friend , what does the average worker make in Toronto compared to someone in San Jose Costa Rica it's all relative. Entertainment in Toronto no matter what you are doing is expensive I know I live here and going to watch even a soccer game in Toronto even in the MLS is not cheap it's Toronto one of the richest cities in the world nothing is cheap here my friend .

I have very fond memories of my one and thus far only trip to Vaughan (if that is considered as being part Toronto) almost 3 years ago to the day. I was treated like royalty by the good people that run The Soccer Hall of Fame. I was met by a driver and limo at the airport, taken to the Westin Element in Vaughan, where I was put up in a beautiful suite, and given an allowance to cover my expenses. The whole trip didn't cost me a cent, so I disagree when you say that everything is expensive in Toronto. Please check out the following account of that weekend:

On November 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM, 1996 said:

Now I see why the hate on for the MLS and why the " I'm not spending money to watch players not ranked in top 1000th. " you should state the real reason instead of that reason. Let me put it to you and all the MLS hating people who hate the MLS for this Canadian playing rule , I don't like it either but it is slowly changing and opportunities are opening up for Canadian players who have gone through MLS and other recognized academies that are able to play on any MLS team Canadian or American. Canada since the demise of the old CSL in the 90's had every opportunity to start our own MLS like league but never did. MLS was started with the US players development in mind  and that's why this Canadian players on American teams rule was started simple as that, however, with the bringing in of Canadian teams in the MLS it gave Canadian players a shot at playing pro at a decent level and it just brought more attention to soccer in the three Canadian cities. Not since the days of the old NASL did we see the type of attendances we are now seeing consistently in these 3 Canadian MLS cities and the media attention that is going with it, this is good for soccer in general in Canada and is helping the growth of the popularity of the sport in Canada. But of course many will point out that outside of the MLS Canadian cities not many people even know what the MLS is, well that has a lot to do with the fact that with no MLS team close by people in Canadian cities with no MLS teams have no day to day connection to teams and plus soccer in terms of watching and following it unless it's a World Cup or any other big international tournament is far behind the more established sports in Canada , so why would they follow the MLS in Canadian cities with no MLS team. However, the MLS is doing ok in 3 of Canada's major cities in the 3 biggest media markets in the Country with a combined population of over 10 million if you count the metro population of these 3 cities so that's a good thing and hopefully with the added media attention that the media is giving to these 3 Canadian MLS teams is it helping soccer become more popular to the general public and hopefully keeping kids playing soccer and hopefully one day because of all this we see more good Canadian players being produced. With no MLS in Canada right now you would see no extra media coverage given to soccer, no prove that soccer as a spectator sport could work because you would not have seen the consistent nice crowds you see in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver without the MLS, soccer is in the conversation now in the general media in these Canadian MLS cities almost everyday , before the MLS came to town the only time you saw soccer talked about was during World Cups and Euro's not anymore and this is a good thing for soccer's popularity. Therefore, with all it's warts and controversies the MLS has done a lot of good in a good portion of the Canadian population, now it's the job of hopefully the CPL to expand soccer's presence and popularity even more in Canadian cities with MLS teams and especially in Canadian cities without MLS teams.

I think you are overstating the role that MLS has had in popularizing footy in this country.  Yes, MLS is succeeding in our major markets.  But the growth of soccer as entertainment product was well underway in Canada long before TFC entered the league.  I used to watch Saturday morning EPL games on the TV at the laundrymat as a uni student in '92 when I couldn't afford cable, and the growth of coverage and interest has been underway since then - and it has been significant.  It has also been dominantly about the English league and EUFA's Champion's League.  As a real measure of interest, viewership of those events still far outstrip MLS, which suggests to me that they are generally more desirable products to most folks not attending a live game.

MLS has been part of that trend, but I would argue that it has benefitted from that growth in interest far more than it has driven it.  It certainly has value in terms of demonstrating the viability of local pro teams, but as you note, that had been done before.  Anyone familiar with NASL knew that pro footy could work in Canada under the right conditions.

Look, I am not a hater.  I am extremely annoyed that MLS hasn't made the most basic "domestics" concession that would level the playing field.  But I still watch, I own merch, and I am glad it is around.

But none of the people I know like soccer because of MLS.  Not one.  If anything, most of them are Euro league fans of varying backgrounds who have to convinced that MLS is worth watching.

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think you are overstating the role that MLS has had in popularizing footy in this country.  Yes, MLS is succeeding in our major markets.  But the growth of soccer as entertainment product was well underway in Canada long before TFC entered the league.  I used to watch Saturday morning EPL games on the TV at the laundrymat as a uni student in '92 when I couldn't afford cable, and the growth of coverage and interest has been underway since then - and it has been significant.  It has also been dominantly about the English league and EUFA's Champion's League.  As a real measure of interest, viewership of those events still far outstrip MLS, which suggests to me that they are generally more desirable products to most folks not attending a live game.

MLS has been part of that trend, but I would argue that it has benefitted from that growth in interest far more than it has driven it.  It certainly has value in terms of demonstrating the viability of local pro teams, but as you note, that had been done before.  Anyone familiar with NASL knew that pro footy could work in Canada under the right conditions.

Look, I am not a hater.  I am extremely annoyed that MLS hasn't made the most basic "domestics" concession that would level the playing field.  But I still watch, I own merch, and I am glad it is around.

But none of the people I know like soccer because of MLS.  Not one.  If anything, most of them are Euro league fans of varying backgrounds who have to convinced that MLS is worth watching.

I think the only reason the CPL is possible is because of the MLS. A sport can only grow so much when there isn’t any teams in the country. If it wasn’t for MLS the growth of soccer would have stagnated. It is hard to be a hardcore fan of a team or sport that you have never watched in person. 

It is also really hard to attract kids to a sport when there is no hope of going anywhere in it. If the national team is full of players that moved to Europe at age 15 the average kid will not try and go anywhere. As a kid in small town Alberta, i liked soccer, but instead I quit soccer at age 14 to do a different sport that I “had a chance” to go somewhere. 

My point is, it is hard to grow soccer in Canada when kids can only watch it on TV. I liked soccer, but I didn’t love it until I watched my first live FC Edmonton game. Now I am soccer crazed. If FC Edmonton had been there when I was a kid, i am sure I would have dreamed about playing for them and tried to make their academy. 

I don’t care that MLS is bad. Heck, my favourite team by far is a crappy NASL team. Why are they my favourite team? Because I watched them in person. Why do I love soccer? Because I watched it in person. Since then I have watched a premier league in person, but it is still fun to watch my local team. The MLS has opened the door to soccer in Canada. They are a vital part of making it popular. Now the CPL needs to take over in the other cities.

It is impossible to "what if" too much, but I do wonder if soccer actually would have stagnated.  As it stands, it is safe to say that CPL faces significant challenges flowing from the fact that it is currently on the outside of our 3 biggest markets.  Would CPL have been contemplated without MLS breaking the path?  I don't know, but you can't rule it out.  It isn't a potential economic windfall that is drawing investors in droves - it is a vision for a strong grassroots development mechanism that some people are warming up to.

I wouls also caution about overemphasizing the universality of your experience.  There are no pro footy teams in my province - in fact the closest one is 4 provinces away.  That doesn't stop me from being a hardcore fan.  Nor does it for many of the people I know - and for hordes of residents of the 8 jurisdictions currently without pro clubs.  Lots of kids aspire to be great in the sport despite that.  And I simply haven't seen any evidence of that sort of sea change in that respect in the wake the 5 pro teams being established.  There is no glut of Canadian footy talent that has been inspired by our pro teams.  And if your theory held true, we should be now be seeing the great results of those inspired 8-12 year old kids living in 2007 Toronto who are pursuing their footy dreams.  But I just don't see it.

MLS is great.  I like it.  I just resist the deification of it as some saviour of Canadian footy.  It has been part of the growth of the game in this country, but that growth was underway before it landed here (that interest was, in fact, what made it financially viable).  And now that it is here, it is a bit of a double-edged sword when it comes to us taking the next big evolutionary step.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is impossible to "what if" too much, but I do wonder if soccer actually would have stagnated.  As it stands, it is safe to say that CPL faces significant challenges flowing from the fact that it is currently on the outside of our 3 biggest markets.  Would CPL have been contemplated without MLS breaking the path?  I don't know, but you can't rule it out.  It isn't a potential economic windfall that is drawing investors in droves - it is a vision for a strong grassroots development mechanism that some people are warming up to.

I wouls also caution about overemphasizing the universality of your experience.  There are no pro footy teams in my province - in fact the closest one is 4 provinces away.  That doesn't stop me from being a hardcore fan.  Nor does it for many of the people I know - and for hordes of residents of the 8 jurisdictions currently without pro clubs.  Lots of kids aspire to be great in the sport despite that.  And I simply haven't seen any evidence of that sort of sea change in that respect in the wake the 5 pro teams being established.  There is no glut of Canadian footy talent that has been inspired by our pro teams.  And if your theory held true, we should be now be seeing the great results of those inspired 8-12 year old kids living in 2007 Toronto who are pursuing their footy dreams.  But I just don't see it.

MLS is great.  I like it.  I just resist the deification of it as some saviour of Canadian footy.  It has been part of the growth of the game in this country, but that growth was underway before it landed here (that interest was, in fact, what made it financially viable).  And now that it is here, it is a bit of a double-edged sword when it comes to us taking the next big evolutionary step.

I know it might not be universal. I am just judging by what I see around Edmonton. It takes a while for change to happen. I don’t think it will happen all at once. But there is no doubt in my mind the impact that FC Edmonton has had on the areas around Edmonton. My old town of 5000 people now has 6-10 u10 teams per year. When I was at that age 10 years ago, there was 2. I know it is not universal, and I know it is not just because of MLS teams, but it does have something to do with it. It is now considered a cool thing to play soccer in a small farming town in Alberta. That wouldn’t have happened if not for the new soccer media (not all MLS, but mls made it personal). I get what you are saying, and I know the MLS has caused some problems now. I still see it as very important however.

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Having followed soccer in Canada since 1969, when I came here as a 13-year old from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, I am very curious as to what "taking the next big evolutionary step" looks like? From NASL to CLS to A-League (et. al.) to MLS and various other incarnations during these years, all have lacked sustained drawing power. All have lacked a prolonged history. And I still haven't heard of a vision in all those years from anyone in charge of soccer in this country that gives me any sense of hope that "taking the next big evolutionary step" is just around the corner. I really wish it were, but after almost 50 years worth of waiting, I can't say that I'm very optimistic.

Archived