The true status of our 3 Canadian MLS clubs

Ansem

I came across this tweet and thought I would share

While the article was mainly about USL supporting CPL, the USL President gave clear answer on how CSA sanctioning worked in regards to Canadian teams playing in a cross-border league. This topic had been a source of speculation and debates.

This is what caught my attention:

• While the Ottawa Fury are committed to return to USL in 2018, USL President Jake Edwards said that the team’s membership in the North American Division-2 circuit is on a year-to-year basis.
  • the Fury don’t have long-term obligations to USL which would potentially block it from moving to the Canadian Premier League down the road — if that’s the path that the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group want to take.

Most importantly:

In a conference call with media on Friday, Edwards said that Canadian teams in cross-border leagues are only sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer League on an annual basis.

This confirms that Victor Montagliani's threat last year of pulling all 3 Canadian clubs from MLS when he was the CSA president was actually factual and legit which are granted under FIFA's convention. Interesting bit of info...

I don't think it confirms anything of the sort. Threats to pull the sanctioning of the 3 MLS clubs? Yea right.

They may renew lower level like USL yearly but they would have had to agreed to a long term for the MLS clubs because their owners put up a lot more money and being businessmen would not proceed to spend $10 (TFC) or $35 (Caps & Impact) without long term (i.e. permanent) sanctioning.

20 minutes ago, TRM said:

I don't think it confirms anything of the sort. Threats to pull the sanctioning of the 3 MLS clubs? Yea right.

They may renew lower level like USL yearly but they would have had to agreed to a long term for the MLS clubs because their owners put up a lot more money and being businessmen would not proceed to spend $10 (TFC) or $35 (Caps & Impact) without long term (i.e. permanent) sanctioning.

They had no reason to believe in the past that they wouldn't be sanctioned as clearly it would be of no benefit to pull it with nowhere for them to play.  The CSA can pull that sanctioning at any time they like but now the threat holds weight with a league of our own. 

This is where the CSA needs to throw its weight around.  Success for Canadian MLS clubs should be meaningless once the CPL is up and they should demand Canadian quotas that develop our players.. otherwise pull it.  We need to be annoying and demanding.  We've donated our 3 main markets to an American League.. so pay up. 

If there had been a solo 2026 bid and CPL franchises went with the promise of being a host venue things might have been interesting on this sort of thing, but instead the CSA are now very much in bed with the USSF-MLS-SUM axis in financial terms and the host venues will almost certainly be two or three of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Think we have already seen some movement on things like the domestic player issue and Generation Adidas as the CSA was in negotiations over the joint bid, so constructive engagement may be working.

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

They had no reason to believe in the past that they wouldn't be sanctioned as clearly it would be of no benefit to pull it with nowhere for them to play.  The CSA can pull that sanctioning at any time they like but now the threat holds weight with a league of our own. 

This is where the CSA needs to throw its weight around.  Success for Canadian MLS clubs should be meaningless once the CPL is up and they should demand Canadian quotas that develop our players.. otherwise pull it.  We need to be annoying and demanding.  We've donated our 3 main markets to an American League.. so pay up. 

I find the idea that our markets being in MLS has benefited the US more than it has us absolutely hysterical. We didn't "donate" markets to MLS, we engaged in a mutually beneficial partnership that has grown the sport in Canada more than anybody would have thought possible 20 years ago.

The MLS clubs are and will continue to be the most important clubs to the CSA for at least another decade. The thought of desanctioning them is ludicrous.

Personally i think a pathway of professional teams where the CPL is competitive with the MLS teams, but the MLS is still clearly better would be perfect. Making he MLS play Canadians will be useless once the CPL comes around. The MLS can poach the top CPL players and that will work out well. The top Canadians can earn their place in the MLS and the rest can fight it out to get noticed while still getting playing time. The combination of the two leagues will be perfect.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

I find the idea that our markets being in MLS has benefited the US more than it has us absolutely hysterical. We didn't "donate" markets to MLS, we engaged in a mutually beneficial partnership that has grown the sport in Canada more than anybody would have thought possible 20 years ago.

The MLS clubs are and will continue to be the most important clubs to the CSA for at least another decade. The thought of desanctioning them is ludicrous.

The sport on a whole has grown, but the MLS partnership has done very little to help the CMNT situation and we are 10 years into our involvement with MLS.  I think we all hoped that there would have been more CDN player development from the clubs in our biggest markets, whatever league they were in.    

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The sport on a whole has grown, but the MLS partnership has done very little to help the CMNT situation and we are 10 years into our involvement with MLS.  I think we all hoped that there would have been more CDN player development from the clubs in our biggest markets, whatever league they were in.    

Has MLS helped the USMNT? I'd love to see that argument. The USMNT is the worst it's been in twenty years. MLS has undoubtedly been a MAJOR factor in the growth of the sport in the US and Canada, but the quality of the league has recently come at the expense of American and Canadian development. The academies are fixing that, but it's a problem that takes time and money to fix....thankfully we in Canada have owners investing multi-millions in academies, which is more than most MLS markets can say.

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

USMNT qualification for the last 4-5 world cups wasnt helped by MLS?    

I actually think that is an open ended question.  Their top prospects were never in the MLS development system, and many of their early MLS players (e.g. Lalas) were already pro level and would have been playing somewhere.  The MLS journeymen tend not to be difference-makers and you could make an argument that a country like the US will always have enough guys slogging away in soccer's second tier that they could have rounded out a roster that was just as strong in the absence of MLS. 

Looking at their recent result, I am not sure having guys like Bradley and Altidore being dominant forces in MLS yielded the result the USSF was looking for.

It is alway impossible to say what the world would look like if MLS hadn't evolved, but I don't think you can clearly say that it has driven success at the level of their national team.

I am fully supportive of CPL operating without any MLS presence, and I have been critical of the way MLS has treated us like an afterthought...

BUT, I don't see any possibility of the CSA pulling their sanctioning for the 3 MLS clubs operating in the USSF's league.  The financial implications of that would be massive, and deep-pocketed ownership groups would sue the shit out of the CSA.  Setting aside the growth that has occurred in those markets, the entrance fee alone is a big factor - the clubs would never invest that kind of money without some pretty serious assurance that the arrangement was long term.

Pulling the sanctions may be theoretically possible, but in the real world where businesses have sway and where money talks, it will never happen.  Or at least not in the timeframe where CPL would be a major step down - which will be for decades, if not longer.

CPL can succeed in those markets - I have no doubt.  But it will be by growing new, committed clubs, not by forcing the existing MLS clubs to join or die.  That simply will not happen, regardless of rules, bylaws, and sanctioning procedures.

3 hours ago, TRM said:

"This is where the CSA needs to throw its weight around"
"where the CPL is competitive with the MLS teams"

Stop it, I'm hurting myself with laughter. Now I've got to clean my keyboard and screen. 

Sure, take one line of my post without the rest. I said “competitive, but the MLS is still clearly better”. When I say competitive I mean the way Huddersfield is “competitive” with Liverpool. Obviously the mls will be better. They will have the bigger budget, better coaches, and better players. I still expect the CPL to be competitive in that they could pull off an upset every once and a while.

7 hours ago, TRM said:

"This is where the CSA needs to throw its weight around"
"where the CPL is competitive with the MLS teams"

Stop it, I'm hurting myself with laughter. Now I've got to clean my keyboard and screen. 

So USL, El Salvadoran, Honduran, Costa Rican, Panamanian teams can be competitive with MLS but not CPL... right.  

MLS is such a high level I forgot... lol, it seems every year around playoff time people forget how truly poor the league is and then wake up around February when teams are getting smashed out of the CCL.  

What is MLS claim to fame?  Honestly though?  If you had to explain to someone how MLS is a high level where would you start?  Reference the All-Star games against European pre-season competition?  Because that's legitimately the only thing the league has to it's name... 

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Sure, take one line of my post without the rest. I said “competitive, but the MLS is still clearly better”. When I say competitive I mean the way Huddersfield is “competitive” with Liverpool. Obviously the mls will be better. They will have the bigger budget, better coaches, and better players. I still expect the CPL to be competitive in that they could pull off an upset every once and a while.

People seem to forget how football works when thinking in a north american mindset.  Absolutely CPL teams would most likely be competitive off the bat... just like how Ottawa beat the all-time great TFC this season (and I'm a TFC supporter).  Sure they aren't going to be signing $7M stars but they'll definitely be able to beat MLS teams on any given day.. this isn't like NHL vs. ECHL here.  

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

So USL, El Salvadoran, Honduran, Costa Rican, Panamanian teams can be competitive with MLS but not CPL... right.  

MLS is such a high level I forgot... lol, it seems every year around playoff time people forget how truly poor the league is and then wake up around February when teams are getting smashed out of the CCL.  

What is MLS claim to fame?  Honestly though?  If you had to explain to someone how MLS is a high level where would you start?  Reference the All-Star games against European pre-season competition?  Because that's legitimately the only thing the league has to it's name... 

CPL will be D2 at best and probably a regional D3 (which is fine by me, ya gotta start somewhere) but please spare me this whole will be as good as MLS on 1/3rd the budget and move this thread to the proper (i.e. CanPL) section.

3 hours ago, RandomDude_555 said:

Also, Australia can create a league superior to MLS, so what's Canada's excuse?

Australia hasn't as anyone with a reasonable level of soccer knowledge who has ever actually watched the two leagues will soon testify and the obvious reason why a Canadian league is never likely to match the top American league in future is that we have a tenth of the population. It's a bit like expecting Scotland's league to match the English Premiership.

21 minutes ago, RandomDude_555 said:

So after watching A-League and MLS can you give an objective opinion on which league is better?

I watched parts of a few A-League matches maybe about 7 or 8 years ago when they were shown on FSWC. I found myself thinking "hey, this is decent soccer it's almost like the level of MLS", but then every 5 minutes or so i found myself thinking "that was one of the worst passes i've seen in a while!".

Archived