Ottawa Fury 2018 season

Zem

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

My understanding is that Balbinotti, Kinumbe and Bayiha are on USL contracts, but that for MLS purposes they still belong to the Impact. But I could be mistaken.

You're correct, Montreal still own their MLS rights, but they all have permanent contracts with Ottawa.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They prefaced it by saying  no one knows who the last team will be and you could almost hear the WINK WINK, but then went on to speculate how the other CPL owners would be mad if ottawa got to keep their current roster of very strong talent.  And how Ottawa will do nicely in any league they are in and how its going to be great for Canada. Sure seems like they just dont want to tank the current season by saying they are jumping ship eh??  

The most obvious reason for them to stick with USL would be over an unrealistically high salary cap, so the recent sub-$1 million comment from Victoria and the comment about a low salary cap being a concern amongst prospective players from Steven Sandor made it sound like that debate is going the way the Fury would probably want it to.

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They prefaced it by saying  no one knows who the last team will be and you could almost hear the WINK WINK, but then went on to speculate how the other CPL owners would be mad if ottawa got to keep their current roster of very strong talent.  And how Ottawa will do nicely in any league they are in and how its going to be great for Canada. Sure seems like they just dont want to tank the current season by saying they are jumping ship eh??  

Bison, there was no WINK WINK intended at all.  I have absolutely no inside knowledge about the CPL and have read only what is posted on here concerning it and the speculation there has been about Ottawa participation.

My comment about any sort of dispersal was more of a general sense and my own thoughts regarding it; how would it be viewed if a team currently in existence (and if they ARE the final team involved) has the advantage of having these lads under an active contract and being able to keep them?

Nothing more than the musings of a color commentator.  :)

Cheers

Gordon Smith

11 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Bison, there was no WINK WINK intended at all.  I have absolutely no inside knowledge about the CPL and have read only what is posted on here concerning it and the speculation there has been about Ottawa participation.

My comment about any sort of dispersal was more of a general sense and my own thoughts regarding it; how would it be viewed if a team currently in existence (and if they ARE the final team involved) has the advantage of having these lads under an active contract and being able to keep them?

Nothing more than the musings of a color commentator.  :)

Cheers

Gordon Smith

Thanks for clarifying Gordon.  I (and, I think, lots of others) are so eager for this to happen I think we tend to fill in the blanks - even where they may not exist. 

3 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

NP, fully understand the eagerness!

I didnt mean to put words in your mouth (even though i did) so I apologize for that.  I hope me shooting my mouth off didnt cause you any grief.  I am very eager to see the league start as you must be too.  It does seem like its the worst kept secret in NA soccer though.  

How does Edgar look in person?? Do you think he is back to 100% and ready for a Canada call in a couple weeks??  

Just now, Bison44 said:

I didnt mean to put words in your mouth (even though i did) so I apologize for that.  I hope me shooting my mouth off didnt cause you any grief.  I am very eager to see the league start as you must be too.  It does seem like its the worst kept secret in NA soccer though.  

How does Edgar look in person?? Do you think he is back to 100% and ready for a Canada call in a couple weeks??  

LOL, no problem at all.  It's the one thing that has been consistent from fans throughout this whole CPL journey; hope.  Hope for a better International future, hope for a better National future and hope for a better domestic future!  

Edgar had a very strong game yesterday.  Very vocal, commanding and alongside Meilleur-Giguere looked like they had been playing together for months instead of minutes!

100% might be a stretch right now but another month or so of 90 minute games and he could be close to a call up, IMHO.

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With one game left in the season, the Fury's chances of making the playoffs are pretty clear, but slim. They need to win at home against Charleston on Saturday and then hope that Bethlehem Steel lose their game on Sunday. Unfortunately, their goal difference is so poor that they cannot win any tiebreakers with Bethlehem or Nashville.

4 hours ago, sloth8 said:

With one game left in the season, the Fury's chances of making the playoffs are pretty clear, but slim. They need to win at home against Charleston on Saturday and then hope that Bethlehem Steel lose their game on Sunday. Unfortunately, their goal difference is so poor that they cannot win any tiebreakers with Bethlehem or Nashville.

First tiebreaker is actually Wins, so the Fury look good in that department.

image.png

Nashville appear to be the one in big trouble, IMO.

Ottawa has a home game against Charleston who are locked in at the #4 seed.  Might see a weakened squad coming up here.

Bethlehem has a home game against Tampa Bay who is already eliminated from playoff contention.

Nashville has a home game against a Cincinnati team who have been on fire lately and who (I believe) are looking to set a USL record of some sort with a win.

The issue though for a few of these teams is International call-ups;

Ottawa has two away (Edgar and Sanon).  Cincy , Charleston and Bethlehem are also losing a player so these three games may be influenced by that.

Shall be an interesting weekend that is for sure.

Anything other than an Ottawa win eliminates them.

Even if Ottawa wins they won't even know if they are in the playoffs or not until Sunday (possibly late Saturday night).  They play at 2pm on Saturday, Nashville play at 8:30pm Saturday and Bethlehem not until Sunday.

gws

• 2 months later...

Fury good to go in USL for 2019

Ottawa Fury FC was today informed by Canada Soccer that it has now been sanctioned by CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America, to play in the United Soccer League (USL) in 2019, subject to approval by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body. Notification was provided to Canada Soccer after Fury FC sought urgent relief from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to permit the team to play in the USL after its sanctioning had been brought into question by CONCACAF. With confirmation that CONCACAF sanctioning has been received, there is no longer any need for the urgent relief from CAS.

• 2 weeks later...

Torn on this one, I want Ottawa to do well and I want TFC's kids to get time.  If TFC HAS to have a USL affiliate, I'd rather it be a CDN club (if there are any left).  But if TFC lends a couple nice players to Ottawa, they get to keep the wages down win a few more games and then are in a stronger position to NOT join the CPL for 2020.  

I like it as much as I liked the Impact affiliation: not a whole lot.

Pros:

- You get to have players you wouldn't get otherwise (IE: Crépeau)

- The club gets to keep its wage expenses down

Cons:

- Gives off the impression of a farm team

- Always wondering if players being sent down are sent with specific instructions (needs to play, or limits on minutes)

- Club ends up developing players for another club instead of doing so for itself and then getting the benefits of it.

Frankly, I'd rather the Fury don't affiliate at all and have their roster stand on finding players themselves instead of having the parent club loan them down because they aren't currently useful to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu and defender Thomas Meilleur-Giguère will spend the season on loan with Ottawa Fury FC through the partnership agreement which will soon be approved by MLS and USL.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2019/01/20/29-players-will-take-part-2019-montreal-impact-training-camp?fbclid=IwAR1Ydvrb6SYyBmKepmWxKZXh5i9rdEdI7qjKXJFukSDScCCmIvyj-_zaD5s

I am really glad to see  Thomas Meilleur-Giguère   coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived