Ottawa Fury 2018 season

Zem

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly Falvey was rested as there are 2 games this week and Henry was still unwell, But Attakora making his debut  and  Meilleur-Giguère  took up the slack and played really well with Attakora being named the MOM.  Crepeau had his 5th sutout an a row, and a very significant stat was that the Fury started with 7 Canadian in their opening lineup and had another 5 Canadians on the bench.

6 shutouts in a row now after the 3-0 win yesterday against Toronto. Player update Portilla is out 2-4 weeks after a rib injury last saturday, Henry has been recalled by Vancouver, Falvey after sitting out last weeks game against Bethlehem was on the bench last night but did not play hopefully he will start on saturday against  Charlotte.  Hopefully Oliviera will be ok after his nasty collision with the Toronto goalie which resulted in the goalie stretchered off after a 10 minute delay, Oliviera went for stitches and after playing with only 10 men for 11 mins Fury subbed him. He did come back to the bench later and watched the rest of the game.

Dream scenario:

Winning the USL Cup in 2018

Leave like a boss for CPL

Upgrade their internationals and keep the solid core of Canadians

Lift the 2019 CPL Cup

Goes to CCL in 2020

Wears the CPL gold logo as champions for the 2020 CPL Season

That would be an amazing story

• 1 month later...

Anyone watching the Penn game today, down 1-0 so far?? I know Crepeau looked shaky in his cameo with the Impact, but at the USL level he is killing it.  Several big saves again in the first half today, couldnt do much about the set piece goal.  Nice to see Attakora back in the line up.  I'm doing a little scouting ahead of the CDN championship series coming up, HEHEHE!!  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Anyone watching the Penn game today, down 1-0 so far?? I know Crepeau looked shaky in his cameo with the Impact, but at the USL level he is killing it.  Several big saves again in the first half today, couldnt do much about the set piece goal.  Nice to see Attakora back in the line up.  I'm doing a little scouting ahead of the CDN championship series coming up, HEHEHE!!  

Come back win today. Just on the outside of the playoffs now.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:09 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Come back win today. Just on the outside of the playoffs now.

Nice (and slightly unexpected) comeback.  But geez was it hot!  Kudos to both sets of players for making it a decently competitive match.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bison44 said:

Crépeau has been a boss in the 18 yard box. He plays the crosses extremely well.

What I really enjoyed about his game this weekend is that his ball distribution was on-point. His pass was crucial for the Fury's first goal, and I can't even remember him kicking the ball straight out of bounds, which he usually does a few times per game. It is definitely the weakest part of his game, but it's clear he is working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Fury keep signing Canadians 2 more added and oneis  a biggy,  first is   Daniel Kinumbe another Montreal Impact academy player,  and the biggie is  David Edgar, former Premier, Championship player in England and Vancouver (MLS)  and holder of over  40 Canadian caps.

I wonder if there are any Canadians left that have'nt signed for the Fury, i think that is 20 Canadians on their roster now

• 2 weeks later...

Ottawa with a scoreless draw with Indy, should have done better but there was about 5 balls off the woodwork.  Edgar's legs look to be fine, Kinumbe was lively.  I havnt seen JGL play for a while, he was in a holding midfield role (not LB) and looked pretty good.  His lack of speed wasnt really an issue.  Still only 23, maybe he has found a niche.  

The announcers talked a fair bit about the CPL, whether they would be able to draw the bigger names from europe or better off developing up youngsters.  And whether Ottawa would be able to hold onto their CDN, or maybe a dispersal of them to other clubs.  Very interesting...

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ottawa with a scoreless draw with Indy, should have done better but there was about 5 balls off the woodwork.  Edgar's legs look to be fine, Kinumbe was lively.  I havnt seen JGL play for a while, he was in a holding midfield role (not LB) and looked pretty good.  His lack of speed wasnt really an issue.  Still only 23, maybe he has found a niche.  

The announcers talked a fair bit about the CPL, whether they would be able to draw the bigger names from europe or better off developing up youngsters.  And whether Ottawa would be able to hold onto their CDN, or maybe a dispersal of them to other clubs.  Very interesting...

So were the announcers speaking hypothetically or were they acting as if Ottawa joining CPL was pretty sure?  Talk of dispersal seems pretty far down the road.  I know we all speculate about it on here, but having broadcasters talk about it seems a bit more significant.

They prefaced it by saying  no one knows who the last team will be and you could almost hear the WINK WINK, but then went on to speculate how the other CPL owners would be mad if ottawa got to keep their current roster of very strong talent.  And how Ottawa will do nicely in any league they are in and how its going to be great for Canada. Sure seems like they just dont want to tank the current season by saying they are jumping ship eh??  

1 minute ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Ottawa's outside the playoff places in the USL with a lot of Impact loanees. I wouldn't be too worried about this team next year.

Ottawa are currently in playoff position and have been for almost a month despite the fact this is the club's third consecutive rebuilding year. And they actually only have two players on loan from the Impact (Crepeau and TMG), so they're actually doing quite well.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Ottawa are currently in playoff position and have been for almost a month despite the fact this is the club's third consecutive rebuilding year. And they actually only have two players on loan from the Impact (Crepeau and TMG), so they're actually doing quite well.

My understanding is that Balbinotti, Kinumbe and Bayiha are on USL contracts, but that for MLS purposes they still belong to the Impact. But I could be mistaken.

Archived