Ottawa Fury 2018 season

Zem

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Kurt-MTL said:

Well then, next time i'm in town I will endeavour to add to said total ;)

You should, it’s great. The stadium experience is actually awesome. The lower side they open up has a huge concourse behind it with all food and drink options which is great to walk around. The size of the crowds means it’s not crazy busy so there’s no huge lineups. They also have areas at either end to stand in the sun and have a drink.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:47 PM, mianjo said:

Fury have another Canadian their 16th out of 27 players,  Shamit Shome on a season long loan from Montreal Impact . Fury have no game this week as it's their bye week, so hopefully some of their injured players will be back for their next game when they play   Toronto FC ll at BMO field at 7:30 March 31.

Unfortunately Shome was recalled by Montreal before he played a game for the Fury

No Henry didnt play. And Crepeau was ok until about half way through the second half.  Very unlucky (or maybe sleepy) to surrender a center line goalazo and a cheeky chip in short order.  Fury just dont seem to be able to generate much offense.  

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Thats your only comment??  Usually expect alot more negativity from you BBTB. 

The comment was made at the very start of the game and was a case of letting people know there was a good webstream available as much as anything else. They had multiple camera angles on replays which doesn't come cheap, but that was maybe for the Cincinnatti market if it was being broadcast there. 2,785 as the official attendance falls under "generously announced" from what I could see on the webstream. A scary lack of return customers compared to the relatively well-attended season opener. Think you can all see for yourselves how the low budget (presumably anyway?) heavily domestic roster is working out so far. Don't think the problem in this game was really with Crepeau. It could have been an even more lopsided scoreline, if he hadn't made some good saves and the goals were all well-taken. Overall the ability level of some of the outfield players wasn't what it needs to be to merit a full-time pro contract. Only Edward, Reid (give him a few years and he could do very well) and Haworth looked like they might be able to step up and hold their own at something higher.

And TFC II drew 117 for their game against NYRB II last night just 90 minutes after the end of the TFC vs Chicago game with 26331 for that game.   BBTB heaps praise on them for moving from the sticks of Woodbridge to downtown Toronto.   Last year they drew 500 to 1500 in the sticks.  

TFC II have more Canadians than Ottawa.

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

....BBTB heaps praise on them for moving from the sticks of Woodbridge to downtown Toronto...

News to me. When did I do that? Have stated many times that I think USL is crazy to have reserve teams branded as such in their league. What I have advocated is the affiliate model of playing under different branding in another smaller city. If a TFC affiliate played in London, for example, I suspect they could draw well into four figures. As for Ottawa the concern should be that this is a team that is viewed as being stacked in terms of domestic content, if they were to play in CanPL next summer. From what I saw on that webstream they need to boost the quality of the import players they are bringing in significantly to have a quality of soccer people are likely to want to pay to watch no matter what league they are in.

Also playing in 25000 seat stadiums even when like 6 7 thousand are there is still not a good look, even last week when there was a good crowd in Ottawa that stadium looked empty , so the casual fan showing up to a 25000 seat stadium with even 5000 there will find it hard to want to go back, now 5000 in a much smaller stadium will have a much better look and atmosphere making it look like people are breaking the door to get in type of feel. It will probably get a few more casuals to want to go back in a smaller type stadium. My ideal CPL will be filled with nice 10000 seater pop ups,  I no this ain’t happening but it would be ideal.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Also playing in 25000 seat stadiums even when like 6 7 thousand are there is still not a good look, even last week when there was a good crowd in Ottawa that stadium looked empty , so the casual fan showing up to a 25000 seat stadium with even 5000 there will find it hard to want to go back, now 5000 in a much smaller stadium will have a much better look and atmosphere making it look like people are breaking the door to get in type of feel. It will probably get a few more casuals to want to go back in a smaller type stadium. My ideal CPL will be filled with nice 10000 seater pop ups,  I no this ain’t happening but it would be ideal.

The quality of the venue is far more important than aesthetics. Hardly anyone in Ottawa cares or would rather play in a small crappy stadium instead of Lansdowne, which is practically the Mecca of sport in Ottawa. On average, Club America only fill a third of the Azteca and yet no one there cares about having over 50,000 empty seats because it's a world-class venue.

5 hours ago, Zem said:

The quality of the venue is far more important than aesthetics. Hardly anyone in Ottawa cares or would rather play in a small crappy stadium instead of Lansdowne, which is practically the Mecca of sport in Ottawa. On average, Club America only fill a third of the Azteca and yet no one there cares about having over 50,000 empty seats because it's a world-class venue.

Give me a packed small 10 000 seat stadium anytime over a big 25000 seat stadium with 5000 people there I don’t care how nice the bathrooms and other amenities are. Try watching a game from New England who play in that massive NFL stadium with 15000 there in a 60000 seat stadium and it looks awful, there is a reason MLS eventually moved most of their teams to smaller soccer friendly stadiums. I’m just watching the new LA MLS team play in their new 22000 seat stadium and it looks amazing , just next door to this new stadium is the 90000 seat  Memorial Coliseum Im sure this new LA team could have played there but 22000 in a 90000 seat stadium is such a bad look just as 5000 in a 25000 seat stadium. Hey hopefully I’m wrong and I wish I am and the Ottawa’s and Hamilton’s and Winnipeg ‘s who will be playing in big 25000 seat stadiums will draw 15000 to 20000 people a game so my argument won’t matter because these big stadiums will be pretty full anyways let’s hope so.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

News to me. When did I do that? Have stated many times that I think USL is crazy to have reserve teams branded as such in their league. What I have advocated is the affiliate model of playing under different branding in another smaller city. If a TFC affiliate played in London, for example, I suspect they could draw well into four figures. As for Ottawa the concern should be that this is a team that is viewed as being stacked in terms of domestic content, if they were to play in CanPL next summer. From what I saw on that webstream they need to boost the quality of the import players they are bringing in significantly to have a quality of soccer people are likely to want to pay to watch no matter what league they are in.

Well here you go then.  Right in your city.  News about TFC taking over London Academy.  

Hmm I notice the subliminal message because their headline reads NOW the London-TFC-Academy but the link is mistitled.   

https://www.fclondonacademy.ca/single-post/2017/11/30/FC-LONDON-ACADEMY-is-not-LONDON-TFC-ACADEMY

Will we see thousands now at their League 1 Ontario games?   

At today's game, tour buses from London came to Downsview for the TFC III vs FC London opener.  Many of them children.  I think TFC wants to funnel the best of the best to their own Academy.  (same with their branding of Windsor TFC in L1O).  This is also a way to kill competition for CPL teams in those cities.  

Maybe they didn't count on 50% of the kids being GIRLS...but FC London is the current champs of L1O Women's Division.  The kids cheered exponentially more for FCL's best plays like the goal because that is their home town.  

Also the Toronto chapter has no room for girls except as ball kids as in last night's TFC II game.  

4 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

...Will we see thousands now at their League 1 Ontario games?   

At today's game, tour buses from London came to Downsview for the TFC III vs FC London opener.  Many of them children.  I think TFC wants to funnel the best of the best to their own Academy.  (same with their branding of Windsor TFC in L1O).  This is also a way to kill competition for CPL teams in those cities...

Seriously doubt it on thousands for L1O given the calibre of the opposition, but there were four figure crowds reasonably regularly for the PDL team and I think Anthony Totera sometimes claims L1O have drawn 2000 or so on occasion in London, for what it's worth, which I strongly suspect involves adopting the same add an extra zero at the end approach that the North York Rockets had on attendances back in the day. There are much bigger stumbling blocks on stadiums and investors to overcome before either Windsor or London are likely to be a factor with CanPL, and the presence of TFC and TFC II doesn't appear to have deterred York 9 so think you are being a little paranoid with that last bit.

Fury draw over 8000 for their annual school day game on a beautiful Wednesday morning. Chris Mannella takes a stupid red card but the Fury hang on for the scoreless draw against one of the USL's highest scoring teams. Crepeau and Henry both played well. Reid and Howarth spoiled a few chances going forward.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 10:39 PM, Kent said:

It’s a shame they didn’t get a goal or two to give the kids a more memorable experience.

They were extremely lucky not to have lost that game very, very badly.  I can't recall seeing a team play more poorly than they did in the first half.  It's tough to tell whether the talk about wanting to play a possession-based game is true or not, because the players couldn't even get onto the ball, they couldn't hold the ball, they couldn't make simple passes, the decision-making by individual players is unbelievable...I wish someone could have counted the number of turnovers in that first half - I'm sure people would think it's a typo.

The second half was better, but only marginally.

This team needs some significant change.  I was shocked at how poor this team is this season.  I honestly can't see them winning 3 games this season they way they are playing.

1 hour ago, Protega said:

They were extremely lucky not to have lost that game very, very badly.  I can't recall seeing a team play more poorly than they did in the first half.  It's tough to tell whether the talk about wanting to play a possession-based game is true or not, because the players couldn't even get onto the ball, they couldn't hold the ball, they couldn't make simple passes, the decision-making by individual players is unbelievable...I wish someone could have counted the number of turnovers in that first half - I'm sure people would think it's a typo.

The second half was better, but only marginally.

This team needs some significant change.  I was shocked at how poor this team is this season.  I honestly can't see them winning 3 games this season they way they are playing.

I won't be attending a Fury game this season, unless Tissot gets healthy and makes his way onto the pitch. It was the first year I failed to attend the home opener. The 5-0 and 4-1 losses did it for me. 

20 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I won't be attending a Fury game this season, unless Tissot gets healthy and makes his way onto the pitch. It was the first year I failed to attend the home opener. The 5-0 and 4-1 losses did it for me. 

What kind of fair weather fan are you?

Fury always have a slow start to the season. Every year. It's a combination of new players getting accustomed to the team - many of whom aren't even signed until weeks or days before a season starts, a lack of preseason meaning the first few matches become time to get tactics and chemistry straight, and playing the first few matches away every year (due to climate in Ottawa). The year Fury made it to the NASL Final, they played poorly and finished near the bottom of the spring season.

This year's group are talented individually, but they look poor as a team. I thought there were positives in the match against NYRB II. Holding them scoreless was one, as they're the highest scoring team in the East. Crapeau played really well and his centre backs were solid. Eddie Edward was explosive as full back. What's missing is the offense. There's not one player who looks like a goal scorer, and 2 goals in 6 matches shows this. It's partly because the midfield are playing like individuals with no chemistry.

I do see them improving as the year goes on.

Archived