Norway vs Canada, November 28th

jonny63

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It hasn't even been confirmed by the CSA. 

There will be Norwegian streams available. 

For the longest time we've relied on sketchy Latin American websites to find rumors on MNT friendlies due to the lack of info from the CSA. If we trusted that I don't know why we aren't believing the Norwegian FA!

24 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

For the longest time we've relied on sketchy Latin American websites to find rumors on MNT friendlies due to the lack of info from the CSA. If we trusted that I don't know why we aren't believing the Norwegian FA!

That was not my point. My point is how would we know any broadcast or stream info from a Canadian perspective when the game hasn’t even been announced by the CSA.

I doubt you will pickup Norwegians streams, it's probably TV2 and it's regularly IP-blocked domestically. So unfortunately without a proxy service it will be the regularly scheduled Twitter refresh.  If you have a proxy it will be high-end quality production.

Norway are in complete disarray. After losing 0-1 in the final to Germany in the previous EURO there were high expectations. This summer they lost every game and didn't even score a goal in the entire tournament.

But it gets better. European player-of-the-year in 2016 Ada Hegerberg quit and called out the program and association for amateurism. In her wake has been a split in the team with players and staff and supporters choosing sides, some of it even public.

Norway is about 1/10th the size of Canada and doesn't have the luxury of inefficiency. When they're all in the same boat and rowing in the same direction they can be quite formidable because of their well-funded and well-run youth programs and women's league. When they're rowing in circles they're a soft target.

They lost to the Dutch again last week in 2019 WC qualification after missing a PK and getting out-shot 17-3 with Vivanne Miedema scoring in the 93'.  Hjelmseth is a quality keeper and they're strong defensively in the middle but they're weak wide in the back. Their mids are capable without being overwhelming and with Hegerberg out they're only real threat is Hansen who is a high-end skill machine. If she's on her game she can embarrass seasoned defenders. Their other attackers are meat and potatoes with pace and power, but against a Canadian unit with Buchanan that probably won't be much worry.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

Is this game on a FIFA date? Even if it is do we think that we will send our "A-team"?

Yes and yes. FIFA date is ftom the 20th to the 28th. NWSL season is over so everyone in North America will be free. The high school kids and college students might stay home, they will be called for the U-20 WCQ in January.

[ 1 ] Roster

Canada Soccer Women’s National Team Roster for Norway International Friendly (Marbella, Spain)
Head Coach John Herdman
GK Stephanie Labbe, age 31, from Stony Plain, AB/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
GK Erin McLeod, age 34, from St. Albert, AB/ FC Rosengård (Damallsvenskan)
FB Lindsay Agnew, age 22, from Kingston, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
FB Allysha Chapman, age 28, from Courtice, ON/ Boston Breakers (NWSL)
FB Ashley Lawrence, age 22, from Caledon, ON/Paris Saint German (Division 1 Féminine France)
FB Shannon Woeller, age 27, from Vancouver, BC/ FF USV Jena (Frauen-Bundesliga)
CB Shelina Zadorsky, age 25, from London, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
CB Kadeisha Buchanan, age 21, from Brampton, ON/ Olympique Lyonnais (Division 1 Féminine France)
M/FB Maegan Kelly, age 25, from Kansas City, MO & Toronto, ON/ FC Kansas City (NWSL)
M Desiree Scott, age 30, from Winnipeg, MB/ FC Kansas City (NWSL)
M Sophie Schmidt, age 29,  from Abbotsford, BC/ FFC Frankfurt (Frauen-Bundesliga)
F Christine Sinclair, age 34, from Burnaby, BC/ Portland Thorns (NWSL)
F Janine Beckie, age 23, from Highlands Ranch, CO/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
F Adriana Leon, age 25, from King City, ON/ Boston Breakers (NWSL)
F Nichelle Prince, age 22, from Ajax, ON/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
F Jordyn Huitema, age 16, from Chilliwack, BC/ Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer
Regional EXCEL Super Centre (British Columbia)
F Jenna Hellstrom,  age 22, from Sudbury, ON/ FC Rosengård (Damallsvenskan)
F Amelia Pietrangelo, age 24, from Laval, QC/ FF USV Jena (Frauen-Bundesliga)

Pending availability due to NCAA action:

M/CB Rebecca Quinn, age 22, from Toronto, ON/ Duke University (NCAA)
F Deanne Rose, age 18, from Alliston, ON/ University of Florida Gators (NCAA)
M Jessie Fleming, age 19, from London, ON/UCLA (NCAA)

[ 2 ]  Fewer Excel kids , just Jordyn  Huitema.  Erin McLeod  getting a look ( Sheridan and D'Angelo  not called up ). Other players based in Europe getting the call up include :  Kadeisha  Buchanan ,  Ashley  Lawrence, Sophie Schmidt,   Shannon Woeller , newcomer Jenna Hellstrom and Amy Pietrangelo ( after a six year absence from the senior team) .  American Maegan Kelly still in the mix. And  NCAA players' availabilty is a function of the 2017 NCAA tournament.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-women-s-national-team-to-take-on-norway-28-november-in-marbella-spain-p161267

I just found out about this game earlier this week, and Marbella is my hometown. I have a special connection with Vancouver after spending some time there, and even writing my first book there while CANWNT were making us all proud of their achievement at the London Games (which served as massive inspiration for my writing). I recently returned to Spain, so being to see the team play in my hometown would be something truly special. One of those dreams you had no idea could even happen but there it is... How and where do I get info to attend?

7 hours ago, Kaz said:

I just found out about this game earlier this week, and Marbella is my hometown. I have a special connection with Vancouver after spending some time there, and even writing my first book there while CANWNT were making us all proud of their achievement at the London Games (which served as massive inspiration for my writing). I recently returned to Spain, so being to see the team play in my hometown would be something truly special. One of those dreams you had no idea could even happen but there it is... How and where do I get info to attend?

I'll ask about that when I get back to civilization.

11 hours ago, Kaz said:

The game is being played at Estadio Municipal de Marbella. Your best bet would be to call the stadium at +34 952 77 16 81 (found it on their Facebook page) or show up on the night of the game and buy tickets from the box office if they have one. You should probably call the stadium first to confirm the best way to buy tickets. If there is no response from the stadium you should probably email Canada Soccer ("contact us" form here) or the Norwegian FA (contact form here). Good luck!

If it's open door you can probably just walk in. Women's games in Norway are peanuts, they would probably find it crass to try and make a couple hundred at the gate in a poorer country.

I was reading the other day how their pro league just signed a couple of major sponsorships, and last month they signed a new five-year broadcasting deal. Their worry now with all the money is it will bring in more foreign players and cut the legs out of their domestic development.

Read some stuff out of the papers this week here as well.

In terms of Norway being called top European competition... they've played a dozen games since the Spring.  They won four beating FIFA #16, 34, 43 and 60.  All other games were against top 25 ranks and were all losses but for one tie.  And most of those were with their best player and 2016 Euro MVP who has quit.

And in terms of them being very physical that's a pretty dated view. We're pretty comparable.

According to John Herdman , Jessie Fleming Rebecca Quinn and Deanne Rose  are currently  all  unavailable because of NCAA action. That is  true for Fleming and Quinn whose respective schools are still in the NCAA tournament but Deanne Rose and the Florida Gators were knocked out of the tournament on Friday and presumably she's available. It's puzzling.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-women-s-national-team-set-to-take-on-norway-in-final-international-friendly-match-of-2017--p161289

My guess is that they figured there was no real reason to rush her over for a pretty much meaningless friendly Tuesday on no notice with her getting knocked out on Friday.  She just got through a big tourney and probably needs the break.  Besides gives someone else a chance to get some run with the team.  

Archived