Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m just wondering how accurate that is though... ’rumored to be’ isn’t exactly set in stone. I’m not saying you’re incorrect, I’m just saying that it seems far from certain to be true. 

i agree which is why i'm stressing it is just rumoured for those teams. the pfc reports came from a good source so it does seem there is weight to it but yea it could be way off

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

I meant to mention that I was at the Ottawa Fury SSH event on Monday and there was a Q&A period where the past year was brought up and JdG was pretty supportive of the CPL. Talking offline, I had a chance to voice my concerns to some of the staff. What they said was that it all came down to money. They paid an expansion fee to join the NASL, lost that when they joined the USL and paid another expansion fee. They estimate the current valuation of the club at around $7.1 million. From what I understood, it looks like the USL believes there are a number of locations in the US that want a club, but the USL Championship is eventually going to stop expanding and have new clubs join at the USL1 level. The Fury believe that if they did make the Jump to CPL and it failed, they would be not be allowed back to the USL because their spot would be snapped up and with no league to play, they would be forced to fold. This is something that supporters should consider - if CPL fails, there is no option for the remaining viable clubs to join an american league, so I'm praying that it is successful.

They also mentioned that OSEG had spent $22 million on upgrades on the club up to this point and didn't want to lose the work they put into it. I can confirm, because when I went on a tour of the South Stand construction back in 2013, both the Fury and the RedBlacks had their own separate locker rooms and training areas being built. When I consider the failed trajectories of Canadian professional soccer leagues over the past 3 decades, I understand their reticence.

They said that if forced, they would obviously have to join the CPL, but they hope to see it successful and join at the point that makes the most business sense to them and pay the franchise fee. Quite a few of the attendee conversations I overheard wanted to see the Fury in CPL sooner than later, because they felt more invested cheering against Canadian cities than American ones.

USL 1 is already at 36 teams. What do they plan at maxing out at, 60? 70?

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

USL 1 is already at 36 teams. What do they plan at maxing out at, 60? 70?

Think you mean D2 USL Championship (formerly USL). Problem for USL C is they make most of they're money from expansion fees (currently 8 million) so when they max out they lose that revenue.

D3 USL League 1 is starting with 10 teams but expansion fees for that league are much less at 500k and they have competition from the rival D3 startup NISA which charges no expansion fees whatsoever.

Edited by CDNFootballer

2 hours ago, matty said:

na there's valid concerns to their opinions and not just troll issues
-carlton' stadium does look like total shit compared to td place
-teams that are more suburban (cavs, pfc and york 9) all either reportedly or are rumoured to have weak ticket sales
-ottawa's transit is usually the worst rated of the major cities in canada
-limited land

Agree that there and these are valid concerns, but having attended Carleton and played on the field in a rec league, I sort of agree and disagree on the looking like shit thing. I mean, it does, but I'd argue it also has the space for a popup stadium just like Halifax. If that's an option elsewhere, it should be an option there too.

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

They paid an expansion fee to join the NASL, lost that when they joined the USL and paid another expansion fee. They estimate the current valuation of the club at around $7.1 million.

[...]

The Fury believe that if they did make the Jump to CPL and it failed, they would be not be allowed back to the USL because their spot would be snapped up and with no league to play, they would be forced to fold. This is something that supporters should consider - if CPL fails, there is no option for the remaining viable clubs to join an american league, so I'm praying that it is successful.

[...]

They said that if forced, they would obviously have to join the CPL, but they hope to see it successful and join at the point that makes the most business sense to them and pay the franchise fee. Quite a few of the attendee conversations I overheard wanted to see the Fury in CPL sooner than later, because they felt more invested cheering against Canadian cities than American ones.

I knew and said it back when the Fury joined USL, that it meant they were not likely to join CPL because three leagues in ~4 years was not something they'd want. I hate the argument about CPL failing though - sure, it could fail, but it would have been less likely to fail if it had 2 established teams instead of 1, a team in the capital, and no Canadian team holding out by staying in a mediocre American league. If the CPL fails without the Fury joining they will be a reason why. At this point my distaste for OSEG is strong enough that I would get season tickets to support the CPL but then cheer for the visitors every time.

23 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Agree that there and these are valid concerns, but having attended Carleton and played on the field in a rec league, I sort of agree and disagree on the looking like shit thing. I mean, it does, but I'd argue it also has the space for a popup stadium just like Halifax. If that's an option elsewhere, it should be an option there too.

Would Carleton allow a pop-up on campus of the size needed to house 2000 more seats to bring up to the CPL's minimum desired size? What would happen to the trees surrounding it? is there enough space between the stadium and Bronson Ave?

Also looking like shit compared to TD Place is including facilities available. I really don't think it's an ideal venue 

32 minutes ago, matty said:

Would Carleton allow a pop-up on campus of the size needed to house 2000 more seats to bring up to the CPL's minimum desired size? What would happen to the trees surrounding it? is there enough space between the stadium and Bronson Ave?

Also looking like shit compared to TD Place is including facilities available. I really don't think it's an ideal venue 

There is enough space on all sides to add some seating, definitely enough on the Bronson side to build a larger grandstand.

Who knows if Carleton is willing though. They have been in a constant state of construction and expansion for about 6-7 years so they’re definitely open to new projects. I don’t see their justification though, the football team doesn’t draw well enough to warrant it.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

There is enough space on all sides to add some seating, definitely enough on the Bronson side to build a larger grandstand.

Who knows if Carleton is willing though. They have been in a constant state of construction and expansion for about 6-7 years so they’re definitely open to new projects. I don’t see their justification though, the football team doesn’t draw well enough to warrant it.

looking at an ariel view it looks like there's a number of trees very close to the field (other than the Bronson Ave side). Are you suggesting building on the end zone or is there more space than there appears to be?

1 minute ago, matty said:

oh yea you could do that but that could also be an issue with the school. people are weirdos

Very true. Honestly, being fairly connected to the Carleton community I highly doubt this could/would happen. There’s also the issue of the turf being used primarily for football. One can dream though.

They could easily build where I’ve marked in red.

B65262D4-01CB-4E41-8502-DAD80646DC06.jpeg

There is the other field at Carleton too. A bit of building in the way for one corner, but fewer trees and it's not used for handegg games. It's not quite as big a field overall, but I'm not sure by how much or whether that would matter.

I should add, I'd be surprised by this too but are we not allowed to dream of the day when we have a national soccer pyramid that includes +3 pro or semi-pro teams inside Ottawa's greenbelt? ?

7 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

There is the other field at Carleton too. A bit of building in the way for one corner, but fewer trees and it's not used for handegg games. It's not quite as big a field overall, but I'm not sure by how much or whether that would matter.

I should add, I'd be surprised by this too but are we not allowed to dream of the day when we have a national soccer pyramid that includes +3 pro or semi-pro teams inside Ottawa's greenbelt? ?

Actually, this scenario in Ottawa would not be good as the product wouldn’t be sustainable.  One strong team in Ottawa and maybe a 2nd smaller side would be all this market could take in any of our lifetimes or the ones of our children.

Edited by JamboAl

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Clubs like the Royals and St Anthony's have done well in Ontario Cup terms over the years. Maybe at some point Canadian soccer will stop reinventing the wheel and start treating what's already there with the respect it deserves?

Gloucester Celtic from the Ottawa area has been more successful in recent years.  A lot of those lads are former Carleton Ravens from the last 10 years or so.

GWS

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Actually, this scenario in Ottawa would not be good as the product wouldn’t be sustainable.  One strong team in Ottawa and maybe a 2nd smaller side would be all this market could take in any of our lifetimes or the ones of our children.

It could if 

D1 Ottawa CPL

Rivalries with Montreal, Quebec City, the rest of Ontario and Canada really will boost attendance and relevance in the city. 

D2 Gatineau

A team for Quebecers on the other side of the river to identify with and support to encourage them to promote for a potential Ottawa/Gatineau rivalry. That's how you build a soccer culture but they should start at D2.

Potential rivals: Sherbrooke, Saguenay, GTA teams)

D3 Kingston and Belleville 

Higher priorities in my opinion for L10 to improve logistics. 

Edited by Ansem

On 3/28/2019 at 10:36 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Very true. Honestly, being fairly connected to the Carleton community I highly doubt this could/would happen. There’s also the issue of the turf being used primarily for football. One can dream though.

They could easily build where I’ve marked in red.

B65262D4-01CB-4E41-8502-DAD80646DC06.jpeg

Did you major in graphic design?