Jump to content
CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, admin said:

**** that mealy mouthed ****.  They increased the risk of the biggest investment in soccer in this country in our lifetime. 

Our capital does not have a team in our new league because they  were not willing to step up when others were, and in a much better position than almost everyone else in the country.

Take your diplomacy elsewhere, they do not deserve our respect. 

Ok then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, BrennanFan said:

Was this not due to a backlash from the community clubs bc the Fury tried to poach all their best players (like what tfc academy did in the gta)? 

The Fury could have started their own academy at U8 and built up from there, you know, actually develop their own players and add to the pool.

Perhaps this is another reason the Fury should cease to exist so a new CPL club with a fresh start can work with the clubs to create an actual pyramid via financial incentives and solidarity agreements following player sales in place from day one.

CPL is not shy about being a selling league, the Fury is the absolute opposite.  

It's a very toxic atmosphere in Ottawa as far as the local clubs go. The two biggest clubs have effectively hijacked the district and are trying to cause problems for any program they see as a threat.  In an effort to get the clubs on board and help support the Fury, they had to scrap their academy - there was no actual poaching going on, but certain people at the local clubs saw that as taking food from their children's mouths.  One club still refuses to help promote the Fury out of spite for when they used to operate teams in the Super Y League.

Something like what Edmonton is doing might work better.  But there are a couple of really disgusting people involved in the local youth scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Protega said:

It's a very toxic atmosphere in Ottawa as far as the local clubs go. The two biggest clubs have effectively hijacked the district and are trying to cause problems for any program they see as a threat.  In an effort to get the clubs on board and help support the Fury, they had to scrap their academy - there was no actual poaching going on, but certain people at the local clubs saw that as taking food from their children's mouths.  One club still refuses to help promote the Fury out of spite for when they used to operate teams in the Super Y League.

Something like what Edmonton is doing might work better.  But there are a couple of really disgusting people involved in the local youth scene.

Running two age groups at no cost ( 16/18 ) is a lot different than running 10. When those two clubs have a footprint of 200,000 to draw from, it will be difficult to get kids into a pro club program at an early age. Unless they have better coaching and a path to another level, being the top team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I had forgotten is that Fury more recently ran a U19 and a U17 team that played in PLSQ.  I don't know for sure, but talk was that it was costing them too much money and there was no real benefit in it for them.  CPL should keep this in mind when considering operation of academies.  The financial benefits can come from either being able to spend less on transfer fees, or from earning revenue from selling players (or solidarity fees received).  If CPL teams won't be paying transfer fees anyway (at least not in the foreseeable future) and if there might not be a lot of demand for the purchase of their players, operating academies could end up being a financial burden with little benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Protega said:

It's a very toxic atmosphere in Ottawa as far as the local clubs go. The two biggest clubs have effectively hijacked the district and are trying to cause problems for any program they see as a threat.  In an effort to get the clubs on board and help support the Fury, they had to scrap their academy - there was no actual poaching going on, but certain people at the local clubs saw that as taking food from their children's mouths.  One club still refuses to help promote the Fury out of spite for when they used to operate teams in the Super Y League.

Something like what Edmonton is doing might work better.  But there are a couple of really disgusting people involved in the local youth scene.

That isn't an Ottawa problem, it is far too common. 

Something needs to be done to understand and mitigate the horrible lack of cooperation in soccer across all levels. 

The stories you hear over and over are really disheartening and frankly mind boggling. Something about the last year, even in the face of so many amazing announcements has really gotten to me.  Really pissed me off (hence the somewhat overreaction above).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

And I’ve stated I want to see the CPL succeed and I think the rightful home for the Fury is in the CPL. But their wait and see approach is partly about experience with those involved with the league and a financial one. They are doing their due diligence and rightfully so. As a business are they not entitled to look out for their interests as well?  

They they should have handled the PR around their decision with true professionalism, not like the amateurish path they chose which made the league looked bad. That's inexcusable and you come here running you mouth and making excuses over excuses refusing to condemn that.

Lame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, admin said:

**** that mealy mouthed ****.  They increased the risk of the biggest investment in soccer in this country in our lifetime. 

Our capital does not have a team in our new league because these weasels were not willing to step up when others were, and in a much better position than almost everyone else in the country.

Take your diplomacy elsewhere, they do not deserve our respect. 

wow you just got every v banned from ottawa fury games forever and make any fury fans on here feel welcome lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matty said:

wow you just got every v banned from ottawa fury games forever and make any fury fans on here feel welcome lol

The fury cannot afford to ban anyone from their games, they're already losing money despite being (or perhaps because they are) a farm team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

The fury cannot afford to ban anyone from their games, they're already losing money despite being (or perhaps because they are) a farm team. 

sure they can, it's not like 97.5% of us are going now. also they broke even last year reportedly 

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matty said:

sure they can, it's not like 97.5% of us are going now

You're right, I mean, the fury leadership decided they didn't want to attract more fans anyway, they probably don't care if they lose more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

That isn't an Ottawa problem, it is far too common. 

Something needs to be done to understand and mitigate the horrible lack of cooperation in soccer across all levels. 

The stories you hear over and over are really disheartening and frankly mind boggling. Something about the last year, even in the face of so many amazing announcements has really gotten to me.  Really pissed me off (hence the somewhat overreaction above).

 

 

The same mentality that encompasses the bigger local clubs is seemingly the same mentality that’s pervasive on this board. The I want soccer to succeed but only on my terms and my way. You ask how you get cooperation but you just ripped the Fury for not doing things the way you see fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, Ottawafan74 said:

Keep hearing the CPL is going to have a really difficult season. The whole thing was rushed, sponsors are not happy and they can’t attract enough decent players to build rosters. At this point glad the Fury didn’t get involved in this amateur hour operation. 

 

6 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I get that. But my guess is if you are posting on this site you are genially invested in the development of the game in Canada, more so than the average fan or soccer parent. Instead of a rising tide line of thinking there’s more of a F them let’s crap on them any chance we get mentality. It’s counterproductive and serves no purpose other than internet trolling. Why can’t you wish both the CPL and the Fury are successful because that’s what’s going to further Canadian soccer players?

These two quotes next to each other are hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

 

These two quotes next to each other are hilarious.

You understand what passing along information is right?  It sounds like there’s a real problem getting it off the ground which is why I said at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

You understand what passing along information is right?  It sounds like there’s a real problem getting it off the ground which is why I said at this point. 

You and your sources (Fury sources?) Are full of crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You and your sources (Fury sources?) Are full of crap

Didn’t come from the Fury. And you’re right, they may be off the mark. But they may also be right and I trust where the info is coming from so I have no reason to doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

You understand what passing along information is right?  It sounds like there’s a real problem getting it off the ground which is why I said at this point. 

That post got you pigeonholed as a heretic basically, because any expression of concern over what's happening is interpreted as opposition to the league and wanting the league to fail. You only need to look at the rosters to see that with the arguable exception of the Forge things haven't gone all that smoothly on attracting players. There are still at least 24 Canadians playing for American USL Championship and USL1 teams in addition to the 25-30 that will be on the Fury and TFC II and another 35 on MLS rosters, so you are still looking at somewhere in the 80-90 range playing professionally in North America outside of CanPL before you start adding in Canadian players who are playing at a genuinely pro level overseas. Getting into a bidding war to get more of those guys into CanPL would have been a recipe for huge financial losses, so we are going to find out very soon now if there really has been a sizable previously untapped pool of domestic players that can provide watchable pro level soccer. Fingers crossed there has been.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That post got you pigeonholed as a heretic basically, because any expression of concern over what's happening is interpreted as opposition to the league and wanting the league to fail. You only need to look at the rosters to see that with the arguable exception of the Forge things haven't gone all that smoothly on attracting players. There are still at least 24 Canadians playing for American USL Championship and USL1 teams in addition to the 25-30 that will be on the Fury and TFC II and another 35 on MLS rosters, so you are still looking at somewhere in the 80-90 range playing professionally in North America outside of CanPL before you start adding in Canadian players who are playing at a genuinely pro level overseas. Getting into a bidding war to get more of those guys into CanPL would have been a recipe for huge financial losses, so we are going to find out very soon now if there really has been a sizable previously untapped pool of domestic players that can provide watchable pro level soccer. Fingers crossed there has been.

I see that. Internet group think at its finest. Guess we will see this summer how things are working out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That post got you pigeonholed as a heretic basically, because any expression of concern over what's happening is interpreted as opposition to the league and wanting the league to fail. You only need to look at the rosters to see that with the arguable exception of the Forge things haven't gone all that smoothly on attracting players. There are still at least 24 Canadians playing for American USL Championship and USL1 teams in addition to the 25-30 that will be on the Fury and TFC II and another 35 on MLS rosters, so you are still looking at somewhere in the 80-90 range playing professionally in North America outside of CanPL before you start adding in Canadian players who are playing at a genuinely pro level overseas. Getting into a bidding war to get more of those guys into CanPL would have been a recipe for huge financial losses, so we are going to find out very soon now if there really has been a sizable previously untapped pool of domestic players that can provide watchable pro level soccer. Fingers crossed there has been.

What reasonable person expected the majority of CDN USL players,  TFC 2 players (with a direct pathway to TFC) and players already on MLS rosters to jump to the CPL??  You cant just make **** up and then use that as justification to say that things havnt gone smoothly.  Only an idiot would think that a new league filling out its rosters would go smoothly.  Or that every player in NA would leave whatever situation they were in the go to the new league.  Saying that kind of stuff is the backhanded unintentional/very intentional slights on the CPL that nobody wants to hear. 

And as far as Ottawa goes, I hope they do well, I'll watch them on youtube (along with other USL CDNs) and eventually I hope the CPL does well and they join.  What I dislike is when i hear Fury mouthpieces (not you ottawafan,), guys that should know better, slag CDN players and teams (Ivory and rumor has it even Deguzman).  If its really just we'll be prudent, wait and see, dont take an active part in knocking it down before they have even played a game.  People are pissed because the Fury joining could have been a real boost to the league and instead it was just another example of infighting f*ckin up soccer in canada.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, Ottawafan74 said:

At this point glad the Fury didn’t get involved in this amateur hour operation.

 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

You understand what passing along information is right?

You calling it amateur hour, still without providing any kind of context, is passing along information? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matty said:

wow you just got every v banned from ottawa fury games forever and make any fury fans on here feel welcome lol

Nah, they are smart enough to see frustration at this situation. It is what it is, eventually it will get sorted out. 

For Canada games, the Fury staff, fans and organization are hands down the best in the country to deal with.  There is no better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, admin said:

For Canada games, the Fury staff, fans and organization are hands down the best in the country to deal with.  There is no better.

 

You should specify Canadian women or youth games, Ottawa hasn't hosted the men's team for a game since 1989.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...