Ottawa CPL Club

Just now, RS said:

Easily? OSEG controls the best stadium in Ottawa, which will not be easy to replace.

Regardless, this is far from over.

Ottawa as a soccer market will be very attractive to investors, the most attractive market left I think.  

It is far from over but I'm calling it early.  Fury were having trouble getting a roster together already, now what player will go near them? They're a wounded animal, and the CPL clearly has friends in high places.  

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

While one part of me finds this hilarious, the other part of me is worried the Fury might fold over this. People rich enough to own sports teams don't like to be dictated to, the only way Goudie was going to switch was on his own terms

Whatever you think about the Fury for skipping out on CPL, they would be a loss to Canadian soccer

Not sure they will make that kind of massive business decision on the basis of ego.  The reality is that there is a ready league, likely of roughly equivalent quality to their present squad, ready to accept them.  Given the options seem to now be fold or join CPL, the case for folding may be pretty weak.  

As for your last statement, I too am sad that the Fury seemed to want no part of CPL.  But if this odd move does result in them folding, the loss of the Fury would open the largest (non-MLS) untapped market for CPL.  I get that the Fury in USL is better than no pro footy team in Ottawa, but it isn't better than some short term upheaval that may ultimately result in another major market helping to solidify CPL's position as a strong domestic league.  I suspect that is behind CONCACAF's decision - having MLS own the three biggest markets in the country is already enough of a challenge to a sustainable Canadian domestic league.  Allowing USL (a 2nd tier American League) to also cannibalize other major Canadian cities may be a bridge too far.  

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Ottawa as a soccer market will be very attractive to investors, the most attractive market left I think.  

It is far from over but I'm calling it early.  Fury were having trouble getting a roster together already, now what player will go near them? They're a wounded animal, and the CPL clearly has friends in high places.  

Meh. The Fury currently have more publicly announced players under contract for 2019 than any CPL club.

It's still puzzling as to how CONCACAF even has the power to do this. AFAIK sanctioning is up to the individual federations.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure they will make that kind of massive business decision on the basis of ego.  

You may be right, but I'm not convinced. I recall Mr. Fath saying he would prefer to fold than go to USL after everything that happened. Especially considering none of these businesses are particularly lucrative

Ultimately, and apologies to Fury fans who this impacts, but I am not opposed to it.  The fragmentation of our national landscape has to be seen as a major impediment to a strong domestic league.  The MLS teams probably have to much clout to mess with, but mandating that the rest of the markets get on board is not, IMO, ove-reaching.  

22 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

They can and will be replaced quite easily. In fact, I think that would be the best way forward in Ottawa. The Fury are now damaged goods.  Time for a fresh start.

Agreed.  The Fury mean nothing.  It's Ottawa we need.  The Fury have completely screwed themselves and their fans.  Are they going to go to war with FIFA to play in USL ???  

I have little sympathy for them.  If CPL is that painful for them, fold the team and let another owner start fresh in CPL.

There will be lots of prospective owners with deep pockets that would be willing to make this work in Ottawa.

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Meh. The Fury currently have more publicly announced players under contract for 2019 than any CPL club.

It's still puzzling as to how CONCACAF even has the power to do this. AFAIK sanctioning is up to the individual federations.

Not true. Read the Athletic article.

None of this adds up to me. The team is run by De Guzman who in tight with the CSA. Isnt the owner of the Fury on the BOD if the CSA? What is the up side of the USL? Facebook streaming? That classic rivalry with AtlantaUnited 2? Clearly there is more interest in the CPL early returns have markets half the size exceeding the Fury in season tickets. This whole dance has seemed strange from the start

8 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Hmmm interesting statement at the end of that story I’d never heard before.

“In joining the USL, the Fury negotiated an agreement that allows it to exit with proper notice to join the CPL.”

I wonder what that agreement included. Obviously indicated that Ottawa had decided to eventually join the CPL before it even agreed to join the USL back in 2017.

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Yes they have. And now they’ll have to come hat in hand to the CPL with a serious dose of humility. Otherwise it’s goodnight to the Fury. I’ve maintained that the decision to remain in USL was a huge error in judgment from the start. Of course I couldn’t have predicted this outcome, instead I predicted a decline into ignominy and irrelevance, but this decision has pushed the issue. 

I would still like to see the Fury in the CPL, but part of me says ‘fuck em, they don’t deserve to be saved’

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Yes they have. And now they’ll have to come hat in hand to the CPL with a serious dose of humility. Otherwise it’s goodnight to the Fury. I’ve maintained that the decision to remain in USL was a huge error in judgment from the start. Of course I couldn’t have predicted this outcome, instead I predicted a decline into ignominy and irrelevance, but this decision has pushed the issue. 

I would still like to see the Fury in the CPL, but part of me says ‘fuck em, they don’t deserve to be saved’

If they are going to come in kicking & screaming, I agree, let them fold.  CPL are riding a positive tidal wave at the moment.  We don't need their poison.  Start fresh with CPL ownership that want to embrace OUR league.

JULIAN DE GUZMAN ADDRESSES OUR FANS 

Dear Fury FC supporters,

We received some extremely disappointing news today and I wanted to let you know about it personally.  CONCACAF, the soccer governance body for North America, Central America and the Caribbean, has informed Canada Soccer that FURY FC’s  sanctioning to continue playing in the USL in 2019 has been revoked.  This came as a shock to all of us in the FURY FC/OSEG family, and I promise you we’ll do all we can to fight this decision and be on the pitch and ready for an exciting season of USL soccer in the spring. 

By CLICKING HERE you’ll find a news release that provides more detail on the CONCACAF decision.  In the meantime, please keep the faith as we work through this unfortunate situation  We’ll update you as more information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Julian de Guzman

General Manager, Ottawa Fury FC

Can't wait for CanPL to start and was quite frustrated when the Fury opted out but I think this was a shitty decision for soccer in Ottawa and in Canada.  Might be looking at one less team and a bunch less spots for Canadian players than we could have had in 2019.

If CanPL thrives the Fury would have joined in time.  Seeing a lot of angry comments on Twitter from Fury fans and I'm wondering what the longterm damage to SOCCER in Ottawa might be.  For those who think you can just throw a CanPL team in there and expect all those fans to switch their loyalties at the drop of a hat, I don't think that's how loyalties work.  

If I had been a Fury supporter all these years, supporting Canadian players before there was a CanPL, I'd be pissed too.

After all the talk of wanting clubs instead of franchises to get away from MLS-style centralized control and excessive rules, we now have a club that made a decision and is being overruled by a central governing body.