Ottawa CPL Club

They were originally talking about being team #7 there in 2019 after a 6 team 2018 soft launch, so I suspect there's a little bit more to what's going on there as that was only seen as a temporary solution and it may still all be contingent in getting access eventually to a more suitable downtown stadium location.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sign-to-support-downtown-saskatoon-stadium

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They were originally talking about being team #7 there in 2019 after a 6 team 2018 soft launch, so I suspect there's a little bit more to what's going on there as that was only ever seem as a temporary solution and it may still all be contingent in getting access eventually to a more suitable downtown stadium location.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sign-to-support-downtown-saskatoon-stadium

What’s going on there has nothing to do with their stadium situation. It is 100% set. Period. 

But suspect away if you wish. 

Well, the argument that Ottawa Fury refused to join CPL because they couldn't squeeze their roster under CPL cap just went flying out the window...

But, critics of the Fury will no doubt note that if some of the team’s reasons for not joining the CanPL were to protect its roster and that it couldn’t possibly squeeze its 2018 roster of players into a projected CanPL salary cap, well, they’re going to note that the team just severed ties with 15 players on Tuesday, anyway. We’ll leave that for you all to argue about on the message boards.

???

Seems to me that the better source remains the CPL itself on which version of the events is to be believed...

Yeah, I both hope that the Fury are never admitted to the league and at the same time I want them in so we can mock them for it when they come to play.  

Not quite Schrodinger, almost Schadenfreude, there must be a German word that applies. ;)

They bail on the CPL because they claim it'd mean breaking up their roster . . . and then they go ahead and break up their roster.

I didn't think I could be more pissed off with my local club, but somehow they've found a way.

If any other current/former Fury FC fans are interested in giving the head office a piece of their mind (to choke on), feel free to join me in filling out this survey and telling them what you think of this bovine excrement. I know I, for one, won't be holding back.

I wouldn't shed a tear for OSEG if CPL moves on with a new ownership and rejects the Fury bid while the CSA lets them know that 2020 is when the USL party is over.

Go to L1O, sell to an ownership that CPL approves or fold. 

But I would "leave the door open" for an OSEG application to CPL II. OSEG needs a time out because they've been naughty

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I wouldn't shed a tear for OSEG if CPL moves on with a new ownership and rejects the Fury bid while the CSA lets them know that 2020 is when the USL party is over.

Go to L1O, sell to an ownership that CPL approves or fold. 

But I would "leave the door open" for an OSEG application to CPL II. OSEG needs a time out because they've been naughty

I still think that the optimal outcome is to have OSEG get its tête out of its derrière and join CPL. Yes, I'm beyond infuriated with them for the decision they made. Yes, the fact that they then decided to pull this nonsense just alienates me even further. But the fact is, they're still the biggest (soccer) game in town. They have an established brand, dedicated supporters, decent supporters groups, stable ownership/management and by far the best venue for pro soccer in the city. If we want CPL to be a success, we need to go with the options that are best placed to succeed. Let OSEG pay their penance by way of an expansion fee and some kind of dispersal of their roster (clearly we now have proof that the roster excuse is bull). They deserve to be treated worse, but for the sake of the game and the league, I still want to see them admitted ASAP.

If nothing else, they have given other CPL team supporters years of fodder to make any CPL-version of the Fury a despised rival for years to come.  They will be like the Boston Bruins of the CPL with multiple teams claiming a special kind of hatred for them.  I suspect there are already chants being dreamed up that push the bounds of civility.

I don't know, I'm already kinda moved on to be honest. 

Maybe it's because this CPL thing is starting to get real with trials and ticket purchases happening.  Real meat will be coming fast since signings will begin happening in November which means we're going to learn budget limits blah, blah, blah.  Finally coming to life.  By New Year's the real ticket  push will start along with a schedule and April will be here before we know it.

So yeah.  Ottawa whatever.  No one is going to be talking USL next year.  It'll all be about the CPL party and who's already trying to work the doorman to get in.

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

No, at the grandstand to the NE with renovations etc. 

Just to clarify, this does not mean a Sask team is 100% for 2020 only that if they do not launch in 2020, stadium won’t be the holdup. 

Interesting.  I kinda figured they were working with the University to play from Griffiths stadium.  

Im not inferring 100% I was just wondering.  I think Saskatoon is an undeveloped sports city like Halifax and they could do very well.  Also natural rivals for Winnipeg and good logistics to Calgary and Edmonton.

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Not to hammer away too much more at Ottawa than has already been done but this is certainly a huge about face.  All their reasons for staying out of CanPL don’t seem to hold water anymore. 

Their messaging is bad and the optics are terrible.

Maybe they see the error of their ways, and are indeed making an 'about face'......into the CPL.

4 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Maybe they see the error of their ways, and are indeed making an 'about face'......into the CPL.

Sadly no. When I wrote to the club to let them know that I was not renewing my season seats, the rep made it quite clear that there was no change coming.

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

Sadly no. When I wrote to the club to let them know that I was not renewing my season seats, the rep made it quite clear that there was no change coming.

As long as Maxim Tissot and Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé are back, I will still go to games. 

My kids like the games, and I usually can take a client to the game because it's in the middle of the afternoon. 

Win-win for me. 

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Not to hammer away too much more at Ottawa than has already been done but this is certainly a huge about face.  All their reasons for staying out of CanPL don’t seem to hold water anymore...

All depends on what their team salary budget will be next year relative to what's happening in CanPL. Think people are reading too much into this. A team that missed the playoffs was always going to make significant changes. The pertinent question at that point becomes whether they would have been able to sign the players that they will retain and those that they will add in a CanPL context.

9 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

As long as Maxim Tissot and Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé are back, I will still go to games. 

My kids like the games, and I usually can take a client to the game because it's in the middle of the afternoon. 

Win-win for me. 

Oh, I will absolutely continue to go to games as well. But with their decision to stay in USL and the terrible style of play for three years running, without any promise of change with Popovic remaining, I definitely will not be attending close to as many.

12 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Win-win for me. 

And on the plus side, I suspect you will have a lot more seat selection...

On 10/23/2018 at 7:28 PM, Sébastien said:

Interesting. When did you talk to them? 

I called them on Monday, to tell them I wasn't renewing, I quoted the following team stats:

• 2nd last in the USL in Goals Scored (31)
  • Last in the USL in Shots (321)
  • 6th in the USL in Fouls Conceded
  • 7th in Red Cards
  • 2nd Last in number of Passes
  • 2nd last in Passing accuracy (70%)

I went on to mention that Swope Park was one of the top teams in the league in those stats and most of the players are still there from when Popovic was was coaching them. I told them they needed better quality players and that most new coaches need 3 transfer windows to get the players they want in, so Popovic has one more window before I see him as part of the problem.

I asked them why they didn't chose CPL and they said they were going to wait and see how stable it is. I told them that I would be watching the off season to see what changes would be made and determine if I wanted to renew at that point. They told me that they couldn't guarantee me that I would be able to get my old seats if I didn't renew. I told them that I didn't think that would be a problem.

And all this went down on Tuesday? I wonder if their SSH base cratered.

• 4 weeks later...

In other unrelated news...

News of the lawsuit comes one day after the National Capital Commission told the Rendezvous LeBreton partners to get their act together, or it would look for other options to develop the site.

Edited by Ansem