CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

Just wondering is it clear that the Ottawa team will be starting the spring season and not the fall season only?

Seems to be cutting it very close, they should be signing players immediately or they will be scrambling later to fill their squad and have a poorly built team with obvious holes.

4 minutes ago, fil said:

Just wondering is it clear that the Ottawa team will be starting the spring season and not the fall season only?

Seems to be cutting it very close, they should be signing players immediately or they will be scrambling later to fill their squad and have a poorly built team with obvious holes.

Spring season. According to Atleti's release, they'll start play April 11th.

36 minutes ago, fil said:

It is possible that they'll be signing players behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Maybe he wanted to live in Finland

Vaasa is more temperate and sunnier than Ottawa during the playing season (both countries using an April-October kind of schedule), but I find it hard to imagine someone would want to leave Tulsa (averaging 175.8 hours of sun in January) for Vaasa (averaging 29.1 hours of sun in January) at this time of year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(for reference, Ottawa apparently averages 122.4 hours of sun in January)

5 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Vaasa is more temperate and sunnier than Ottawa during the playing season (both countries using an April-October kind of schedule), but I find it hard to imagine someone would want to leave Tulsa (averaging 175.8 hours of sun in January) for Vaasa (averaging 29.1 hours of sun in January) at this time of year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tulsa is friggin HOT for us Ottawans (Ignore this)

Sorry didn't read the last sentence. Considering they aren't paid in the off season I would imagine a lot of them leave their USL to go home, where they may get free rent and food if they can tolerate their parents :) 

Edited by Senorpopps

35 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Having been to neither I would rather live in Finland than Tulsa

40 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Been to both places and I would rather be in Vaasa than Tulsa.  And there are no tornadoes in Finland. 

Edited by JamboAl

3 hours ago, fil said:

They start in April. 

They probably have signed players but haven't announced it yet. 

They can sign 5 guys from the fury, five to ten cpl free agents, loan some young players from Spain and will be fine. 

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I mean, same, I was just trying (and failing) to make a joke about how dark and depressing Vaasa would be in the winters.

20 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think it has to be @Ansem who starts the thread, he’s been the biggest believer in an Ottawa franchise since the CPL began!

edit: never mind it’s been created! Props to Ansem though.

Sorry for stealing you're thunder Ansem! I'm just really excited as well ...

6 hours ago, fil said:

In the NASL San Antonio and Puerto Rico were a couple of clubs that always put together a roster late, as in middle of feb- march for the most part, for an April start. Think they did this on one hand to save $ as players were still available at that time but many likely couldn't necessarily garner the biggest salary and were just looking to get on with a team.

5 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I mean, same, I was just trying (and failing) to make a joke about how dark and depressing Vaasa would be in the winters.

I found the numbers interesting! But then I started to question exactly what they mean. I don’t know what your source is or if they explain what the numbers mean, but Ottawa can’t possibly have only 4 hours per day of daylight right? So it must be counting cloud cover as not being sunlight?

17 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

My mom’s family is from Vaasa.  From my cousin’s Facebook it doesn’t look depressing at all.  Summers there are incredible though.  It’s like being in a combination of the Muskoka’s and a small ocean front town.  

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I found the numbers interesting! But then I started to question exactly what they mean. I don’t know what your source is or if they explain what the numbers mean, but Ottawa can’t possibly have only 4 hours per day of daylight right? So it must be counting cloud cover as not being sunlight?

Honestly the source is wikipedia, which then cites some meteorological place. But yes, I'm fairly certain that cloud cover = no sun for that purpose - if you look at the weather network's 7 day forecast, it'll say that there's only going to be 2 hours of sun tomorrow despite sunrise being ~7:30 and sunset ~5.

9 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

My mom’s family is from Vaasa.  From my cousin’s Facebook it doesn’t look depressing at all.  Summers there are incredible though.  It’s like being in a combination of the Muskoka’s and a small ocean front town.  

Oh I'm sure the summers are great, and probably most of the year. I just have trouble picturing a place that's as cold as Ottawa with 1/4 the sun in the winter - I don't mind Ottawa winters, but the best days are the ones that are super cold and very bright, the worst are medium cold and grey, so getting an average of 1 hour of sun per day in the depths of winter... no thanks.

Having said that, my Northern Irish colleague told me that's about how much sun his town gets in the winter, so what do I know (very little).

[edit] apologies to all for how off topic this is

Edited by Viruk42