CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The league desperately needs an eighth team to sort out its weeknight heavy schedule. Pure speculation on my part but that may have been worth something from an expansion fee standpoint. Getting in there before rugby league may also have been a consideration.

So the move for Spring 2020 isn't because it is an attractive option for the team - it is because the league desperately needs to solve a scheduling problem.

And it isn't because AM thought the fee was actually worth the investment - it is likely that they got a sale price because they were helping to overcome this scheduling nightmare.

And you wonder why some people slag you on here...

The more I think about this the quick start is not really as quick as it appears. Its really a continuation of the Fury but by doing it this way it allowed OSEG to recover likely more money from the sale of their USL rights than Atletico is paying for this expansion team I would assume. 

So happy about this.  Ottawa deserves a team.  The fans deserve local footy.  And CPL deserves the market.  Win win win. 

I wasn't dancing on the Fury's grave by any stretch (the most obvious solution was to have them sign up), but this was definitely the vision when people were espousing the "get on board or get out of the way" sentiments. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I was wondering about this kind of a former-Fury ticket holder drive. Would this new group even be allowed to do that? More specifically, are they allowed to procure the contact info for the list of Fury ticket holders? Or does that break any sort of privacy laws?

Oh my, let's be realistic. I am sure half a dozen former employees have that list, though they'd never say. People walk out of jobs with information they perhaps should not have all the time. It is not even a long list of names. 

You just do not do a massive mail out calling it former Fury ticket holders--you just send.

All this assuming that for some reason the Fury owners would not share a list to fill a stadium they happen to own, they get concessions from, a cut on merchandising, over and above whatever deal you make on stadium rental.

Three things from that Press Release.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

First, press conference and launch on February 12, so they are giving themselves time.

Second, they are starting in late April, no half season, from the get-go. Meaning a balanced schedule with 8 teams, great news.

Finally, I really liked that they mention the legacy of the woman's team in the press release, it suggests they may have some ideas in this regard. But what?

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Three things from that Press Release.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

First, press conference and launch on February 12, so they are giving themselves time.

Second, they are starting in late April, no half season, from the get-go. Meaning a balanced schedule with 8 teams, great news.

Finally, I really liked that they mention the legacy of the woman's team in the press release, it suggests they may have some ideas in this regard. But what?

Clanachans quotes regarding the Womens league being ‘Further along than I expected’ are a nice tie in. Those quotes were back in August so a bit of a stretch to believe this had anything to do with Ottawa/Atletico. Possible Atletico had been in touch and had a relationship before Ottawa became a possibility though. 

2021 could be possible, in his quotes it was speculated they would use league 1 ontario as a basis but we have some womens teams across the country. I hope they wait until 2022 at least. It's hard enough running one league efficiently I am sure. 

Also lets get that nonsense out the way and celebrate HARD. Welcome Ottawa. Feb 12 is too far away but I will take it!

I haven't been keeping up with all the hoopla around the Ottawa situation. I do know that Fury suspended operations and I can see Athletico are teaming up with the man who owns the CFL and OHL team in Ottawa.

Is this a re-birth of the Fury under the Athletico family? Or are the Fury completely dead now? Either way I am curious, if not excited, to see what the branding is with Athletico involved.

Will be interesting to see how they stock pile players for the roster. I wonder if the 6 international players will be u21 players from athleticos academy/ reserves 

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, this. That's why yesterday morning I felt confident enough to post in the morning that there didn't seem to be an announcement coming. For every single club reveal for the CPL we new a date and time before the day of the announcement.

Well, looks like I was wrong about this one! Announcement made with no schedule.

At least we have a heads up on the Feb 12th reveal which presumably where we will learn the team name and see the logo, and possibly the jerseys.

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

Will be interesting to see how they stock pile players for the roster. I wonder if the 6 international players will be u21 players from athleticos academy/ reserves 

If you stick 6 Spanish 3rd tier players into the team, that really raises the level of the team in CPL terms.

It's like asking what would happen if you sent half a dozen players at the level of Piette and Aparicio-- because both are where they are after Spain third tier. In any case, I am begging the question; B team players from Atlético would be strong.

As would taking players not getting minutes in LigaMX.

Another thing is if our season really is at all meaningful for Atletico B players, they are almost done in late April. They are leading their division, they play until mid-May then almost sure to have a promotion playoff. So after that, late May, or into June, players might be freed up. Unless earlier they loan out those not getting minutes on the B team, which is a possibility. I see checking now that they loan players to teams in Spanish 4th tier to get them minutes and off the bench.

The way the CPL season is divided up, it is not a natural calendar for a player in Spain, as most would want to do the preseason with their base team in July-August.