CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, RS said:

The fact of the matter is that none of that will matter if JDG is hired.

I personally dont care whether he's hired or not. Just voicing why I think he won't based on his track record as a GM, not necessarily on what he said but it doesn't help.

I think he'd make a great mentor to youth talent at the CSA or at a CPL club (wouldn't most likely earn what he used too)

Maybe they'll hire him but it's just fact that there are better options out there if we're talking GM/coach...we'll see

4 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

My point is if the new club wants to hire him he’s more than qualified. But a couple Internet fan boys are attributing quotes to JDG that in their opinion disqualifies him from any coaching position. Let it go, there’s no real proof he said anything negative about the CPL. 

Thanks for unintentionally tipping us off: he is being considered for a coaching position. Appreciate it.

No one here thought that might be the case: we all just assumed he'd stay in a similar role.

And here is where you thankfully missed the point, which is that JdG, by his accredited despective comments and reactions about the CPL, possibly (only possibly) disqualified himself as a GM of a CPL team. He did nothing last year to make any sort of fan think he was not qualified to coach, because he was not coaching. 

We fan boys are a lot more logical and have better reading comprehension that you give us credit for.

6 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

The only thing I will say about the bolded idea is that if the attributed quotes are true, your claim is demonstrably false.  There is good reason to believe that he tried to undermine the entire project of CPL by disparaging player quality.  That is directly putting his own self interest ahead of the "growth of the game in Canada". 

The new powers-that-be will either hire him or not.  But to claim that he is some kind of benevolent altruist when it comes to soccer in this country is wrong.  He is simply a guy who said what he needed to say to keep his bosses happy and to keep his job, even though it required him to devalue the CPL project. 

4 hours ago, RS said:

How many people even know about JDG's comment outside of this board and the CPL subreddit? I suspect the number is minuscule, and the number of people who care is even less.

When all else fails, resort to the "nobody cares" trope. Very lazy non-argument.

Not to mention that the people at CPL are surely aware of all JDG's disparaging comments and by all accounts are quite salty about the Ottawa Fury; and guess who the prospective new owners are talking to?

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

When all else fails, resort to the "nobody cares" trope. Very lazy non-argument.

Not to mention that the people at CPL are surely aware of all JDG's disparaging comments and by all accounts are quite salty about the Ottawa Fury; and guess who the prospective new owners are talking to?

When all else fails? Have I been defending JDG in here at all?

Your argument is lazier than the one you're accusing me of.

55 minutes ago, RS said:

When all else fails? Have I been defending JDG in here at all?

Your argument is lazier than the one you're accusing me of.

You mean my point about CPL caring about what JDG said and the prospective new owners talking to CPL: hence the people who matter certainly caring about what JDG said?!! 😂

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You mean my point about CPL caring about what JDG said and the prospective new owners talking to CPL: hence the people who matter certainly caring about what JDG said?!! 😂

The people who matter are Atleti's higher-ups. Full stop.

Maybe the CPL brass were as hurt by JDG's comments as many on here seem to be, maybe not. Chances are he doesn't get hired regardless (for reasons I posted further upthread).

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I like how everyone is in the office working during the week, but soccer execs do business trips to Madrid on the weekend for one reason only: to catch a game.

And At Madrid is at home this weekend to Leganés, playing at noon on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like how everyone is in the office working during the week, but soccer execs do business trips to Madrid on the weekend for one reason only: to catch a game.

And At Madrid is at home this weekend to Leganés, playing at noon on Sunday. 

Now just need to pass photos of Hunt, Clanachan, et al. to Spanish press to confirm on game day!

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I hope JDG gets consideration as the Manager for the new Ottawa team. He got passionate about defending his team and said things he may regret. I would want someone passionate about my team!

As much as I like him, I don't want him as manager. I'd like him as assistant manager or player liaison, though. I asked him in a SSH Q&A if OSEG was giving him the chance to take courses on GMing to help him develop and succeed, but he said he was mostly learning on the fly. He would best be served in an assistant role if he really wants to improve that particular skill-set.

I don't think this has been posted here.

https://apt613.ca/atletico-ottawa/

It is rumoured that for a team to play in 2020, the CPL has a deadline of January 31 to get a deal done, though sources have told Apt613 that a deal is so imminent that CPL clubs have already been advised to expect an Ottawa club this season, while other outlets have indicated a deal may be done already and an announcement could come in the next week.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm guessing Zoom Langwa will end up in Ottawa.. he was released by HFX right?

He showed his interest on Twitter!

The person who wrote the article in as.com is actually based in Mexico and covers San Luis, their team there. I wrote her.

So perhaps she has some info on what the holding (At Madrid will go into Ottawa via ATLETICO DE MADRID INTERNATIONAL HOLDING SL, which was founded in December 2018 with limited capital) is doing from there, more than in Madrid, or has some contacts.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The person who wrote the article in as.com is actually based in Mexico and covers San Luis, their team there. I wrote her.

So perhaps she has some info on what the holding (At Madrid will go into Ottawa via ATLETICO DE MADRID INTERNATIONAL HOLDING SL, which was founded in December 2018 with limited capital) is doing from there, more than in Madrid, or has some contacts.

Ever since the rumours started I've been checking the Canadian trademark registry very regularly. AM hold one trademark in Canada under the name CLUB ATLETICO DE MADRID, S.A.D. Paseo Virgen del Puerto, 67 Madrid E-28005 SPAIN. It was filed in January of 2018 via an intellectual property lawyer in Montreal. The design trademarked is the classic "Atletico de Madrid" logo and wordmark  and was filed for dozens and dozens of goods and services.

CPL Soccer Holdings LTD which holds the trademarks for all current teams does not have anything Ottawa related yet.