Jump to content
CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

Recommended Posts

Anything I’ve heard has been him saying it wasn’t the right move for the Fury, and wishes the league all the best. The rumours of him trashing the league seem to have come from league mouthpieces who had an agenda. Are there any direct quotes from JDG?  I haven’t seen them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw somewhere that Hunt had previously stepped away from the Fury operation and then that the CanPL had contacted him to establish a CanPL team seems to indicate that Hunt disagreed with the approach taken by Fury (OSEG) management.  

Edit: I see Hunt's involvement as very positive.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

Anything I’ve heard has been him saying it wasn’t the right move for the Fury, and wishes the league all the best. The rumours of him trashing the league seem to have come from league mouthpieces who had an agenda. Are there any direct quotes from JDG?  I haven’t seen them. 

I recall an article from last year with direct quotes where he dismisses the Canpl and his plans to lead the Fury for the next 3 to 4 years to success in USL, there was no indication of any interest in the CanPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I recall an article from last year with direct quotes where he dismisses the Canpl and his plans to lead the Fury for the next 3 to 4 years to success in USL, there was no indication of any interest in the CanPL.

https://northerntribune.ca/de-guzman-on-canadian-premier-league/
 

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/is-ottawas-pro-soccer-future-with-the-canadian-premier-league


I’ve seen reports on twitter from people who’ve made the claim he’s ripped the CPL, and maybe he has, but I’ve not seen them from a reputable source. 

Edited by Ottawafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on Julian :

 

Used to be a big JDG fan, have a poster of him from a CMNT game I went to and wanted to frame it and put it up. His comments re the Canadian Premier League soured me on him and it was disappointing, he came off as a yes man to me trying to hard to follow the company line. His crocodile tears and head hanging at the Fury folding press con was overdone, embarrassing, and poor acting IMO. His poster sits in storage now at the bottom of a pile of sports memorabilia.

 

He may or may not get a job with the new CPL Ottawa club, if he does then meh, if not that's fine and understandable with the history involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

My thoughts on Julian :

 

Used to be a big JDG fan, have a poster of him from a CMNT game I went to and wanted to frame it and put it up. His comments re the Canadian Premier League soured me on him and it was disappointing, he came off as a yes man to me trying to hard to follow the company line. His crocodile tears and head hanging at the Fury folding press con was overdone, embarrassing, and poor acting IMO. His poster sits in storage now at the bottom of a pile of sports memorabilia.

 

He may or may not get a job with the new CPL Ottawa club, if he does then meh, if not that's fine and understandable with the history involved.

Agreed. Had he not been so needlessly critical of the CPL and tried so hard to paint the Fury as the victim, I'd be happy to have him join. But now . . . I just wouldn't feel right having him captain the ship. 

If Atlético coming in means wiping the slate clean of the Fury, then fair enough. Let it actually be a clean slate without the JDG/OSEG front office baggage that undermined what so many of us wanted and sank the team so many of us loved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether you’re a fan of his or not he shouldn’t be part of the club. There’s no reason. He wasn’t  successful in any capacity, the Fury were entirely mediocre. Combined that with the bad blood between the Fury and the CPL and the need for a clean slate it just doesn’t make sense to bring anyone from the old team on board. We have 11 pro clubs now, I’m sure he can serve Canadian soccer well elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all kind of ridiculous. Last year Y9 assistant Carmine Isacco said that TFC loanees would be much better off if they developed in the CPL rather than at Ottawa Fury. Should that impact Isacco's ability to land a job in the USL at some point in the future?

As my old boss used to say, "Everyone is in Sales".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lofty said:

JDG's value to Canadian football is a separate issue from how people feel about him.

Frankly, after reading some of the disparaging quotes about CPL attributed to him I was left thinking he was a bit of a self-serving...Wheels on the bus go round and round, Round and round...

Edit: one example; although I guess it is possible that somebody just made this up for no apparent reason:

 

Exactly, this sort of sh!t.

So is JdG going to be involved in a new Ottawa club, in a league he felt was of inferior quality to USL2, and then go about signing players from other CPL clubs to round out his squad? Is the squad, mostly from last year's team, going to get beaten in CPL by players he would not want?

There is a bit of toxic bull there. If the CPL explains to At Madrid that they can do a good job without having to inherity the potential liability of JdG, they might actually understand. It could go either way. It depends, in fact, on the graciousness of the league more than anything else. Or if the new owners stubbornly insist on Julian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lofty said:

JDG's value to Canadian football is a separate issue from how people feel about him.

Frankly, after reading some of the disparaging quotes about CPL attributed to him I was left thinking he was a bit of a self-serving...Wheels on the bus go round and round, Round and round...

Edit: one example; although I guess it is possible that somebody just made this up for no apparent reason:

 

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it here because we can be zealots together, worship the people we love and demonize the people we hate. But this is just for fun, tongue in cheek. Somewhere in the "real world" which is increasingly online, we as a human race seem to have lost the plot and prefer outrage and lifetime bans over second chances. I'm not sure, but I think second chances are the sign of strength in a culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue isn't second chances - it's who gets them and what they get them for.

AS for JdG, I don't find his comment about Bekker all that offensive. I would have said similar before CPL season started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

Actually it was TSN's Fury analyst Graeme Ivory:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

You keep on harping that anyone critical should move on, move on. But it's Ottawa that has moved on, don't you realise. The CPL is alive and kicking and in the same place it was last year. So you are reading the situation backwards. It is OSEG that was forced to move on--and maybe Julian de Guzman. 

By the way, there is no evidence he cares more about the growth of the game than any other former national team player. As for him being able to bring more to the table than most:  what do you mean, most forklift drivers? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Was he not a former employee at that point?  And aren’t those his quotes, and not JDG?

That's Graeme Ivory reporting on the Fury media conference in February 2019. It's unlikely that Ivory would have been invited to a media conference if he was, at the time, not a member of the media. It's also unlikely that he would have made **** up as you seem to be implying - he is/was very much pro-Fury and not a fan of the push to get them in CPL. I mean, just read his pinned tweet, where he specifically thanks Julian De Guzman, among others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You keep on harping that anyone critical should move on, move on. But it's Ottawa that has moved on, don't you realise. the CPL is alive and kicking and in the same place it was last year. So you are reading the situation backwards. It is OSEG that was forced to move one--and maybe Julian de Guzman. 

By the way, there is no evidence he cares more about the growth of the game than any other former national team player. As for what he could bring to the table: you mean most forklift drivers I suppose.

My point is if the new club wants to hire him he’s more than qualified. But a couple Internet fan boys are attributing quotes to JDG that in their opinion disqualifies him from any coaching position. Let it go, there’s no real proof he said anything negative about the CPL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

That's Graeme Ivory reporting on the Fury media conference in February 2019. It's unlikely that Ivory would have been invited to a media conference if he was, at the time, not a member of the media. It's also unlikely that he would have made **** up as you seem to be implying - he is/was very much pro-Fury and not a fan of the push to get them in CPL. I mean, just read his pinned tweet, where he specifically thanks Julian De Guzman, among others.

 

He worked for the team and also worked on TSN 1200 doing a soccer show and did the games on the radio ( both CC and calling ).  Again he seems to be offering his opinion here; don’t see him attaching it to JDG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

He worked for the team and also worked on TSN 1200 doing a soccer show and did the games on the radio ( both CC and calling ).  Again he seems to be offering his opinion here; don’t see him attaching it to JDG. 

FFS, take off your blinders dude. A pro-JDG and pro-Fury journalist tweets that the team didn't want anyone in the CPL besides Bekker and you're claiming it's his opinion and only his opinion? Complete and utter bull and you know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most. 

So for what reason must he work for the Ottawa CPL club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

FFS, take off your blinders dude. A pro-JDG and pro-Fury journalist tweets that the team didn't want anyone in the CPL besides Bekker and you're claiming it's his opinion and only his opinion? Complete and utter bull and you know it.

If you say so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So for what reason must he work for the Ottawa CPL club?

I’m not saying they have to. They will run a search and see who they feel fits best going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

I’m not saying they have to. They will run a search and see who they feel fits best going forward. 

So then what's your problem with people not wanting him to work for the new club?

You keep telling people to move on but you're the one who keeps telling people their opinions are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So then what's your problem with people not wanting him to work for the new club?

You keep telling people to move on but you're the one who keeps telling people their opinions are wrong.

All I said was he should be a candidate. That’s when people freaked out, pinning the same old rumours on him that disqualifies him for some reason. Still waiting for someone to prove their opinions right. 

Edited by Ottawafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...