CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Anyone who is opposed to JDG being part of soccer in this country doesn’t know what they are talking about. He is exactly what this country needs more of. 

I'm sure he can have a role withing the CSA too. I'm just sceptical about him within the CPL as a GM or coach 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Anyone who is opposed to JDG being part of soccer in this country doesn’t know what they are talking about. He is exactly what this country needs more of. 

He just dug himself into a hole being zealously loyal to his employers--to the possible detriment of future considerations elsewhere. It was a misinterpretation of the role. In sports you don't have to slag others to defend your own, it happens a lot, but it can be avoided.

But then At Madrid comes along, and it looks like a perfect fit: At Madrid could care less about internal CPL bickering, and JdG doesn't have other options in Canada right now, barring a future move to an MLS team, or national team coaching. But I am not even sure if he has his coaching licenses in order--does he?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He just dug himself into a hole being zealously loyal to his employers--to the possible detriment of future considerations elsewhere. It was a misinterpretation of the role. In sports you don't have to slag others to defend your own, it happens a lot, but it can be avoided.

But then At Madrid comes along, and it looks like a perfect fit: At Madrid could care less about internal CPL bickering, and JdG doesn't have other options in Canada right now, barring a future move to an MLS team, or national team coaching. But I am not even sure if he has his coaching licenses in order--does he?

If someone had the feathers ruffled over something he may have said, tough sh!t. Move on. Only concern is what’s best for the development of the game and Canadian players. 

5 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

If someone had the feathers ruffled over something he may have said, tough sh!t. Move on. Only concern is what’s best for the development of the game and Canadian players. 

Actually, it is probably not going to work that way. He said some garbage, he insulted others and the league directly, and if he does have a role in the new Ottawa team, any reporter is free to ask him about it. 

And I doubt he'll say "tough **** move on". 

He's already misinterpreted his role once, if he does it again depending on whether his employer sees him as a liability or not, he may find he's the one who will have to move on.

That does not change my opinion that for At Madrid someone like him might make them comfortable coming into an unknown entity like CPL.

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements! 

I must have slept through the part where JDG knocked it out of the park as the Fury GM. 

Since it is a league where clubs are independent, it's up to them to hire him if they see value/a role for him. If no one extends an offer, you have to take it for what it is. 

As for the league, they are a business, and a business have every rights not to employ someone who publically put the product down. 

Edited by Ansem

15 minutes ago, gator said:

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements

I don't think the mainstream press would really care about/be aware of his previous statements.  The Canadian soccer press might be more inquisitive.  But if JdG were to become involved, he'd be as supportive of the CPL program as he needed to be because that would be his job. 

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I must have slept through the part where JDG knocked it out of the park as the Fury GM. 

Since it is a league where clubs are independent, it's up to them to hire him if they see value/a role for him. If no one extends an offer, you have to take it for what it is.

As for the league, they are a business, and a business have every rights not to employ someone who publically put the product down. 

The league is a business.  Atletico Madrid is a (larger) business too.  I don't think the CPL would have a lot of power to say no if Atleti wanted him part of the Ottawa team.  (BIG ASSUMPTION: JdG being involved) 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The league is a business.  Atletico Madrid is a (larger) business too.  I don't think the CPL would have a lot of power to say no if Atleti wanted him part of the Ottawa team.  (BIG ASSUMPTION: JdG being involved) 

That's exactly what I said.

Clubs can do whatever they want, just don't expect the league to give him a job.

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's exactly what I said.

Clubs can do whatever they want, just don't expect the league to give him a job.

You are right.  I read through your comment too quickly.  My apologies.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are right.  I read through your comment too quickly.  My apologies.

No worries. I agree that he can play a huge role within Canadian soccer with his experience with the National team and overseas.

I think he'd be far more useful at the CSA helping the youth teams to start and working with young players. 

Just my opinion

I don't know.  Of two minds but generally think if The Guz gets the gig in Ottawa past comments won't be so overshadowing as to not quickly become water under the bridge.  It will have to be.

5 hours ago, gator said:

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements! 

I talked to JdG a couple of times at Fury SSH events and when repeatedly pressed about how he feels about the CanPL, he always told us that he wishes them nothing but the best and hope it succeeds, but it just wasn't right for the Fury at that time. The way everything went down, I can't help but feel there were power struggles going on inside of OSEG that we were not privy to. The fact that this is Jeff Hunt's baby and not John Pugh and the only one that didn't seem broken up at the Fury Folding press conference was CEO Mark Goudie, I think this has all been a big kabuki production.

Anything I’ve heard has been him saying it wasn’t the right move for the Fury, and wishes the league all the best. The rumours of him trashing the league seem to have come from league mouthpieces who had an agenda. Are there any direct quotes from JDG?  I haven’t seen them. 

I saw somewhere that Hunt had previously stepped away from the Fury operation and then that the CanPL had contacted him to establish a CanPL team seems to indicate that Hunt disagreed with the approach taken by Fury (OSEG) management.  

Edit: I see Hunt's involvement as very positive.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

Anything I’ve heard has been him saying it wasn’t the right move for the Fury, and wishes the league all the best. The rumours of him trashing the league seem to have come from league mouthpieces who had an agenda. Are there any direct quotes from JDG?  I haven’t seen them. 

I recall an article from last year with direct quotes where he dismisses the Canpl and his plans to lead the Fury for the next 3 to 4 years to success in USL, there was no indication of any interest in the CanPL.

12 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I recall an article from last year with direct quotes where he dismisses the Canpl and his plans to lead the Fury for the next 3 to 4 years to success in USL, there was no indication of any interest in the CanPL.

https://northerntribune.ca/de-guzman-on-canadian-premier-league/

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/is-ottawas-pro-soccer-future-with-the-canadian-premier-league

I’ve seen reports on twitter from people who’ve made the claim he’s ripped the CPL, and maybe he has, but I’ve not seen them from a reputable source. 

Edited by Ottawafan

My thoughts on Julian :

Used to be a big JDG fan, have a poster of him from a CMNT game I went to and wanted to frame it and put it up. His comments re the Canadian Premier League soured me on him and it was disappointing, he came off as a yes man to me trying to hard to follow the company line. His crocodile tears and head hanging at the Fury folding press con was overdone, embarrassing, and poor acting IMO. His poster sits in storage now at the bottom of a pile of sports memorabilia.

He may or may not get a job with the new CPL Ottawa club, if he does then meh, if not that's fine and understandable with the history involved.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

My thoughts on Julian :

Used to be a big JDG fan, have a poster of him from a CMNT game I went to and wanted to frame it and put it up. His comments re the Canadian Premier League soured me on him and it was disappointing, he came off as a yes man to me trying to hard to follow the company line. His crocodile tears and head hanging at the Fury folding press con was overdone, embarrassing, and poor acting IMO. His poster sits in storage now at the bottom of a pile of sports memorabilia.

He may or may not get a job with the new CPL Ottawa club, if he does then meh, if not that's fine and understandable with the history involved.

Agreed. Had he not been so needlessly critical of the CPL and tried so hard to paint the Fury as the victim, I'd be happy to have him join. But now . . . I just wouldn't feel right having him captain the ship. 

If Atlético coming in means wiping the slate clean of the Fury, then fair enough. Let it actually be a clean slate without the JDG/OSEG front office baggage that undermined what so many of us wanted and sank the team so many of us loved. 

Whether you’re a fan of his or not he shouldn’t be part of the club. There’s no reason. He wasn’t  successful in any capacity, the Fury were entirely mediocre. Combined that with the bad blood between the Fury and the CPL and the need for a clean slate it just doesn’t make sense to bring anyone from the old team on board. We have 11 pro clubs now, I’m sure he can serve Canadian soccer well elsewhere.

It's all kind of ridiculous. Last year Y9 assistant Carmine Isacco said that TFC loanees would be much better off if they developed in the CPL rather than at Ottawa Fury. Should that impact Isacco's ability to land a job in the USL at some point in the future?

As my old boss used to say, "Everyone is in Sales".

JDG's value to Canadian football is a separate issue from how people feel about him.

Frankly, after reading some of the disparaging quotes about CPL attributed to him I was left thinking he was a bit of a self-serving...Wheels on the bus go round and round, Round and round...

Edit: one example; although I guess it is possible that somebody just made this up for no apparent reason:

Edited by Lofty

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

JDG's value to Canadian football is a separate issue from how people feel about him.

Frankly, after reading some of the disparaging quotes about CPL attributed to him I was left thinking he was a bit of a self-serving...Wheels on the bus go round and round, Round and round...

Edit: one example; although I guess it is possible that somebody just made this up for no apparent reason:

Exactly, this sort of sh!t.

So is JdG going to be involved in a new Ottawa club, in a league he felt was of inferior quality to USL2, and then go about signing players from other CPL clubs to round out his squad? Is the squad, mostly from last year's team, going to get beaten in CPL by players he would not want?

There is a bit of toxic bull there. If the CPL explains to At Madrid that they can do a good job without having to inherity the potential liability of JdG, they might actually understand. It could go either way. It depends, in fact, on the graciousness of the league more than anything else. Or if the new owners stubbornly insist on Julian.

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

So some random poster on a CPL forum claims he said this. I don’t see direct quotes. Whether he said it or not, move on. 
Only thing that matters is he cares about the growth of the game in Canada and can bring more to the table than most.