CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

It’s always sad when something you get emotionally invested in ends, but I really hope these rumours are true; you Ottawa fans deserve a pro soccer club. OSEG wasn’t the right partner. If it’s true that it’s a La Liga club that’s part of the ownership group, that’s a big deal. They’d have the know how to make something like this really work. 

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm already over the moon at the prospect of a CPL team finally being in Ottawa. As soon as everything gets confirmed, I'll be one of the first to get season tickets (something I could never justify with the NASL/USL, just given the sheer number of teams I couldn't care less about). I wish it had worked out with OSEG and the Fury, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

As for JDG: No. Non. Nein. Nee. Nyet. NAY NAY. 

Too much bad blood and needless animosity. He's made his bed, now he has to lie in it. 

Edited by m-g-williams

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not thrilled with this type of naming convention, but I'm not against it fully either.

I'm hopeful that given the (relatively) common nature of Atlético's strip that Macron can turn it around in fairly short order.

Edited by Andrew W
I'm a dumbass

3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

'll be one of the first to get season tickets (something I could never justify with the NASL/USL, just given the sheer number of teams I couldn't care less about). I wish it had worked out with OSEG and the Fury, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

As for JDG: No. Non. Nein. Nee. Nyet. NAY NAY. 

Too much bad blood and needless animosity. He's made his bed, now he has to lie in it. 

You will have to beat me to the head of the line 😎 Agree with everything else, I went to as many NASL games as I could, never went to a USL game, had no interest in the league.  The only game I went to was the Canadian Championship game against HFX.

The one big concern I have is how committed Atletico will be to this project if it doesn't meet their expectations.  Most other clubs in this league have their success (and the success of the league) as their main focus; for Atletico this is more of a side gig.  OSEG support seemed to be a great thing for the Fury Academy and the Fury Women's side, but look how quickly that dried up when things got tough.  Hopefully Atletico isn't too quick to take their ball and go home if things go sideways.

The other concern I have is how much independence this club will have from Atletico.  Others will know better than I would about how things stack up with their network of other clubs.

A lot of effort has gone into avoiding the appearance of a development league.  It would be a shame if this Ottawa side essentially turned out to be a development club.

I don't understand the hate towards JDG. He was an employee who was told he would lose his job if Fury lost their license and said things that weren't that bad. The Bekker being the only player they wantes wasn't crazy since a lot of them hadn't played  a decent level pro or were coming off lacklustre season.

If it happens, I like Atletico Ottawa.  

Fortunately, there are rules in the CPL to prevent this from being entirely a feeder club.  But I would have no problem with Atletico putting a few of their promising kids in the lineup.  In fact, I would kind of expect and wish it.

Looks like the 32% owner of Atletico de Madrid Idan Ofer is also the majority owner of Famalicao in the first tier of Portugal..interesting..lots of possibilities there..theres 2 players of atletico madrid on loan to atletico san luis and one on loan to famalicao..and one atletico madrid b player on loan to famalicao..and atletico madrid b is in the third tier currently in first place in their group

19 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

...A lot of effort has gone into avoiding the appearance of a development league...

Everybody already knows that any player that has a standout season in CanPL will want to move on to another league so why is that even important? Beyond that Atletico Ottawa isn't going to turn off the soccer community because it at least sounds like a pro soccer team name in a way the Ottawa Fury did not and Pacific, Cavalry, Valour and Forge certainly do not. If it only took a year to start to figure that out at least the learning curve has been steeper than it was with MLS. 

58 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

A lot of effort has gone into avoiding the appearance of a development league.

They have been clear they dont want it to be a reserve team league but they actively promote it as a development league for players. 

I am very excited by this development though. I think like the red bull franchises this would hopefully be a sister team to their others and not an Atletico II. They already have a B team in spain. It's just about building profile around the world. I think it will he a huge profile boost to the league and really a bit of a boon they picked CPL not MLS. They have a chance to get in pretty much on the ground floor if the league grows. It's about growing their branding across the globe and they have a good base in north america to develop more young players if they want.

Exciting times but not celebrating just yet.

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

A lot of effort has gone into avoiding the appearance of a development league.  It would be a shame if this Ottawa side essentially turned out to be a development club.

I think there is a massive difference between being seen as a developmental D2 for MLS, and being seen as a lower tier league with a relationship to one of the best leagues in the world.

MLS is, at best, in the 3rd tier of world footy.  I consider 1st tier to be Spain, England, Germany, Italy.  France, Netherlands, Belgium and one or two more are what I consider tier 2.  Lots of tier 3 clubs.  Leagues like Portugal and Scotland with a couple of huge teams and the rest as makeweights tend to straddle  my somewhat arbitrary taxonomy.

I mention this because there is a huge difference in terms of the perception with respect to the leagues you openly declare yourself subordinate to.  For CPL, being openly 2nd class when it comes to la Liga is really no surprise to anyone.  Being a development league for MLS is something entirely different.  And I know that MLS is a stronger league top to bottom.  But openly declaring  yourself as an inferior feeder league to what is, ultimately, not a very strong league would be detrimental to what CPL is trying to achieve.  Part of CPL's success will depend on diverting national attention from the 3 MLS clubs.  That is hard to do if you have embedded subordination into the very DNA of your league structure.

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

The other concern I have is how much independence this club will have from Atletico.  Others will know better than I would about how things stack up with their network of other clubs.

I dont think we have had a player in La Liga since de Guzman and noone in La Liga 2 now that Tabla is gone. If CPL can develop a player good enough for either of those leagues that is incredible.

I might, just might, be able to swing an Ottawa vs Pacific road trip. My wife's been wanting to do a trip to Ottawa since we got back at this end of the country, and this just might be enough for us to forget about the costs (and headaches with toddlers) and just do it.

10 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Ottawa CPL 2020 =  Ott v York9 road trip for me too. 

This would be my  fourth Ottawa season opener I attend (Ottawa pioneers, Fury at university, Fury at TD Place. I think I just dated myself.😀

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

They have been clear they dont want it to be a reserve team league but they actively promote it as a development league for players. 

Sorry, you are correct.  I should have specified reserve league rather than development league.

I guess an Atletico Ottawa v Atletico Madrid friendly should be something to look forward. Let's find out who is the most Atletico! Sorry had to slip in a joke. But seriously that would be cool for football fans in that area

26 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sorry, you are correct.  I should have specified reserve league rather than development league.

👍Thought that was probably what you meant! Either way it is a huge club that will bring exposure and resources into the league. 

I can see peoples worries about them potentially bailing if things get tough but I don't know this would be different with a Canadian owner either. That is up to the CPL bigwigs to vet potential ownerships and make sure they are in for the long haul. Biggest difference is the expansion fee to join the league, running of the club etc.. will be nothing to a club the size of Atletico.

In comparison to starting an MLS team or a team in another bigger league somewhere else in the world, this will be very cheap and likely reasonably straight forward to run. The way the league is set up and operates is much more natural to them than the MLS would have been. 

I am excited for what the ownership can also bring to the league in terms of experience and resources. There is much the league and other clubs/ownership could potentially gain from the experience this ownership would bring.