CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Some Fury fans hold a grudge against CPL and see it (rightly or wrongly) as the cause of the Fury's demise.  Would they - or at least a large number of them - be so annoyed as to boycott a local pro team playing in a Canadian league?  Again, I can't see it - at least not for any great length of time.

No, definitely not; my point was just that I can see a lot of people not getting along in the supporters' section. I'm sure people will get over it eventually and I don't think it'll affect the new club's success, but plenty of vitriol is still being thrown around over it.

Edited by Zem

Personally hoping for a 2020 launch.  

The CPL won't launch this season unless they think they can make it work.  We are just catching wind of this, but behind the scenes there has no doubt been preparations unfolding for months.

Can't wait to bring my Valour family on a road trip to our nations capital !

19 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

The CPL won't launch this season unless they think they can make it work.  We are just catching wind of this, but behind the scenes there has no doubt been preparations unfolding for months.

My turn to return the hospitality; and tickets would be on me. 

2 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I would guess that the number of Fury fans who boycott an Ottawa-CPL team would be roughly similar to the number of Ottawa-CPL fans who boycotted the Fury, though I have no basis for that assumption outside of my own feelings on the issue.

I'm going to guess that number would be less than 5.  And the supporters section was already somewhat divided before the whole CPL thing existed (for some good reasons and some stupid ones IMO).  Hopefully this will be a fresh start for everyone.   

Edited by JamboAl

22 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Agreed that background preparation has probably been happening, but even if this is out-of-the-blue, there is plenty of time to enter the Fall 2020 season as a ‘showcase’ team. Jut seems like a looooong time till 2021. 

Well Valour only has 4-5 guys under contract, a new Ottawa club wouldnt be very far behind them.  And to think of it, they probably have more guys waiting around in Ottawa to sign with the new club....they'll be further along than Winnipeg in a week.  

10 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

So this would presumably imply a deal with OSEG to use Lansdowne is also done.  Don't think they would start for 2020 without that in place.

2 minutes ago, ray said:

So this would presumably imply a deal with OSEG to use Lansdowne is also done.  Don't think they would start for 2020 without that in place.

Bingo!

21 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

o.O

This guy has a good track record now so this has a lot of credibility. Espanyol are quite a big club so there's not that many that are "much bigger". How about Peter Lim and Valencia?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This guy has a good track record now so this has a lot of credibility. Espanyol are quite a big club so there's not that many that are "much bigger". How about Peter Lim and Valencia?

Ya, I've seen Lim and Valencia mentioned online. I'm still wondering about Atletico Madrid, since they part-own a Mexican side and have previously part-owned Indian and French teams.

Just goes to show you, sometimes when these big wigs say things are going on behind the scenes...things actually are.  It does make sense if the players new something was happening because I thought they would have dispersed long ago.  Even TMG hasnt officially announced a signing eh??  

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The League a few months back have said they made 3 different schedules, one of them included a 8th team. <br><br>In my opinion this will be much better since it will be balanced and will make sure weekend games happen often. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CanPL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CanPL</a> <a href="https://t.co/cWkU6pKC4n">https://t.co/cWkU6pKC4n</a></p>&mdash; Thomas Nef (@ThomasNef2) <a href="https://twitter.com/ThomasNef2/status/1217512531897380864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 15, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The League a few months back have said they made 3 different schedules, one of them included a 8th team.

In my opinion this will be much better since it will be balanced and will make sure weekend games happen often. #CanPL https://twitter.com/hammyd0wns/status/1217511937422041096 

10 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

I wonder what the name of the club will be.  Real Ottawa (Royal Ottawa), Athletic Ottawa, Deportivo Ottawa? 

With all due respect to the Ex Fury fans, that "Fury"name was just terrible

Its probably going to be something much more vague sounding like the majority of the other CPL teams

15 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

I wonder what the name of the club will be.  Real Ottawa (Royal Ottawa), Athletic Ottawa, Deportivo Ottawa? 

With all due respect to the Ex Fury fans, that "Fury"name was just terrible

I think the league will not want those names, it did try to stay away from the MLS trend of using "United, Real, Inter etc..."

The schedule balance thing probably best explains why they would be willing to start this eighth team as a rush job. The weeknight games were definitely problematic from an attendance standpoint (Halifax excepted). Have to wonder how much of a role Mediapro had in this and whether this was choreographed for a while now along with the FC Miami angle. We'll probably never find out all the gory details.