Ottawa CPL Club

Learned long ago when business is involved to never say never.

Before that learned to never, ever, bluff.   Assume whatever confrontation you're involving yourself in is going to arrive at the worst and if you weren't willing to go there, then don't. 

With those two thoughts in mind, I somehow  find myselft recalling how Saputo didn't think he should be paying a $35M expansion fee to join MLS and held out.  And then paid it.  Because he realised MLS called his bluff and that soccer world was just going to keep on moving forward with or without him.

I think OSEG just learned a lesson in recognizing a bluff.  I also HOPE they've learned a lesson in how their soccer world will  just keep moving forward.  With or without them.  

Speaking of bluffs, anyone doubt that under the right circumstances Bob Young wouldn't be willing to spread around a little bit of seed money to get potential partners over the hump in Ottawa and into the CPL?

I don't.     

50 minutes ago, narduch said:

Wasn't Don Garber recently complaining though that Vancouver and Montreal can't put new teams in USL now?

If TFC can have a reserve club that meets the special criteria why couldnt Van and Montreal.  Maybe because they dont actually want their own team..ie too expensive??  How many guys did Montreal actually loan out??  5??  I cant see why Van and Montreal loan out to CPL, Or if we dont want that look, goto other USL clubs (even TFC2), god knows there are about 100 of them.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I do actually think the statement is pretty cold. Its straight in, not with mention of the Fury situation (further down the article) but firmly reiterating the intent to bring a CPL team to Ottawa. 

The CPL is making no bones about it- they want a CPL team in Ottawa.  The path of least resistance was for the Fury to join.   If they’re not willing to join the CPL plans on moving forward without them.

Well, OSEG found a new tenant for the stadium pretty quick:

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/other-sports/professional-rugby-a-good-bet-for-td-place-in-2021/wcm/b0661733-b45f-4877-a946-7269283c05c3

Wonder how much this factored in to them being willing to just fold the Fury. 

Also, as a soccer fan and rugby Union fan, f*** rugby league.😁

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Probably why soccer is the most popular sport in the world

Im sorry but if you think FIFA sanctioning is the reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.... (I wont finish that)

Soccer is popular because it requires no equipment and can be played in any country world wide rich or poor. It is also a very basic game - two teams trying to kick a ball into an opposing net. It can be played in almost any climate on a variety of surfaces. 

It is fun to play and a pleasure to watch. It is quite a universal sport easy to understand and enjoy. 

Its popularity has nothing to do with the mobsters at FIFA who brought you slaves (literally losing their lives) building stadiums for a World Cup in Qatar. They are gangsters and criminals - nothing more nothing less.

5 hours ago, Cblake said:

Here is an example, Canada has two sanctioned pro basketball leagues now right  the NBL Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League. No one is telling anyone which one teams can play in or not. The unique sanctioning power soccer has in their sport is something I still shake my head one.

I agree its total insanity. How can some 'governing body' determine what **professional** club (that has millions of dollars invested) can play in what league. 

I mean whats the criteria? Fury didn't pay a big enough bribe?

We have a world cup in Qatar (logical choice - no bribes there). We have a situation where migrant workers getting paid virtually nothing are dying building stadiums - basically slave labor) and not a few people dead ALOT.

Now a branch of this same body is telling a little club in Ottawa they cant play in a North American league and strong arming them out?

And people think this is OK?

This should never fly in Canada and Ottawa should raise hell

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Now a branch of this same body is telling a little club in Ottawa they cant play in a North American league and strong arming them out?

You really think the Ottawa Fury, a 6 year old pro club that's only been in its league for 3 seasons, is going to be the one to bring down FIFA? Are you having a laugh? 

Yes, FIFA is corrupt. So? They set the rules by which soccer teams and governing bodies have to follow and if you don't like it, that's too bad for you. You know who hates the world cup in Qatar? All of the major European teams and leagues that are going to have a big winter break where all their best players go to get heat stroke. And yet it's still happening. So if the elite European teams and leagues can't bring down FIFA, how the hell do you think a mediocre team in a small country that plays in a minor league is going to do it?

20 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I agree its total insanity. How can some 'governing body' determine what **professional** club (that has millions of dollars invested) can play in what league. 

I mean whats the criteria? Fury didn't pay a big enough bribe?

We have a world cup in Qatar (logical choice - no bribes there). We have a situation where migrant workers getting paid virtually nothing are dying building stadiums - basically slave labor) and not a few people dead ALOT.

I think it's ok because I'm sick of American interest dominating our media and watching Canadian resources going in to American pockets. I'm a huge basketball fan but I for the most part ignore the NBA for the same reasons. Thank God fifa exists. I wish Hockey Canada would grow a spine and help rescue hockey in this country and stand up to the NHL but good luck with that.

What if PSG just up and joined the epl? Why not? Go for it. PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona go join the epl. Who says they can't? Right? What's the problem? To hell with everyone else

Edited by SpursFlu

14 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

You know who hates the world cup in Qatar? All of the major European teams and leagues that are going to have a big winter break where all their best players go to get heat stroke. 

You know who hates it even more? The hundreds of family members who have lost parents, siblings and children used as slaves in appalling  conditions to build stadiums for the billionaire autocrats running Qatar. AS the fat cats at FIFA sit back sucking on brandy slapping each other on the back about a job well done. 

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

You know who hates it even more? The hundreds of family members who have lost parents, siblings and children used as slaves in appalling  conditions to build stadiums for the billionaire autocrats running Qatar. AS the fat cats at FIFA sit back sucking on brandy slapping each other on the back about a job well done. 

So the American media has convinced you that Fifa is the devil. So if you have a problem with Qatar then why not hate on Qatar? You can go around in circles on this all day long. The middle East is crazy by our standards sure but they love the sport. As much as anyone else. They don't deserve a World Cup?

19 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So the American media has convinced you that Fifa is the devil. So if you have a problem with Qatar then why not hate on Qatar? You can go around in circles on this all day long. The middle East is crazy by our standards sure but they love the sport. As much as anyone else. They don't deserve a World Cup?

They have the world cup because they paid FIFA massive bribes. You understand that right?

48 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Yes, you're probably right there. But that is still more likely to bring down FIFA than a mediocre club in a small country in a minor league. If you have constructive ways to bring down FIFA, I'm all for it, the organization is terrible and should be dismantled. The simple fact is, however, that Ottawa and the Fury are not about to do it - especially when their complaint is that they want to play in a second tier American league. Oh boo hoo, poor OSEG and their millions, I'm so sad for them 🙄

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it's ok because I'm sick of American interest dominating our media and watching Canadian resources going in to American pockets. I'm a huge basketball fan but I for the most part ignore the NBA for the same reasons. Thank God fifa exists. I wish Hockey Canada would grow a spine and help rescue hockey in this country and stand up to the NHL but good luck with that.

What if PSG just up and joined the epl? Why not? Go for it. PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona go join the epl. Who says they can't? Right? What's the problem? To hell with everyone else

I mean, we're heading towards a closed-circuit Champions League where all of those teams and the most profitable ones from the EPL join up.  So yeah, you're going to see that.  And yes, it will be to hell with everyone else.  I don't know at all what you mean by hockey Canada "standing up" to the NHL.  Hockey Canada is incredibly profitable and there's no chance of them getting the Stanley Cup back.

1 minute ago, Viruk42 said:

Yes, you're probably right there. But that is still more likely to bring down FIFA than a mediocre club in a small country in a minor league. If you have constructive ways to bring down FIFA, I'm all for it, the organization is terrible and should be dismantled. The simple fact is, however, that Ottawa and the Fury are not about to do it - especially when their complaint is that they want to play in a second tier American league. Oh boo hoo, poor OSEG and their millions, I'm so sad for them 🙄

I can agree with that. There is no chance Fury could ever 'take down' FIFA. However a lawsuit and PR campaign could make things uncomfortable for Concacaf. 

Im not sure how many millions OSEG controls they run a CFL team and a Jr. Hockey team. Point is Fury was a professional team with millions invested - how can some FIFA tell them where they can play?

The answer is because they are mobsters and bullies. They know Fury dont have means to kick up a big fuss and USL wont raise one for them. 

Of course they wont challenge MLS sides because they know they wont stand for that BS. The Saputos and MLSE would never stand for that and they have the means to back themselves. Which is why FIFA will pick on FURY and bully them out of operation. 

Seems like racketeering to me. Agree though Fury wont be able to fight it.

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

So how is the PCSL allowed to operate with teams in both Canada and the US?

Yeah, I think it's been at least a decade since the PCSL had US teams. They still could as there is no D3 currently in BC which is why the Highlanders and Rovers play in the USL system.

That might change BTW, see this topic: BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

Edited by ted
spelling

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I can agree with that. There is no chance Fury could ever 'take down' FIFA. However a lawsuit and PR campaign could make things uncomfortable for Concacaf. 

Im not sure how many millions OSEG controls they run a CFL team and a Jr. Hockey team. Point is Fury was a professional team with millions invested - how can some FIFA tell them where they can play? ...

CONCACAF sanctioned them last year and are claiming that the sanctioning process was still very much in progress this year, so this probably isn't going anywhere now in terms of legal action. The politics gave the Fury a face-saving way out of soccer. The ongoing rumblings over sanctioning didn't help obviously but if the Fury had been making money for OSEG they would still be playing in one league or the other, because by the sounds of things they need revenue desperately and even the CFL team may not be 100% secure in the years ahead.

My take on this is essentially what I said a year ago when they first were denied sanctioning that was reversed.  Fury have just made a shockingly bad business decision by staying in the USL in year 1. 

Granted, they were not put in an enviable situation by the circumstances they found themselves in by having to choose in year 1 between USL and CPL but as others have said, they should have known years ago that this was a likely eventuality.  They either had to stay on the outside and hope they could claim “special circumstances!” Indefinitely or at least until they could wiggle their way in for nothing once the league was established or join a first year league with all the risks it entails. In fairness to them, not an enviable choice but it’s the choice they should have been aware of they needed to make. 

If I was them, I would have joined the league in year 1 as they would have seen from the inside the commitment of the ownership groups and whilst still a risk, that to me was a lot less risky than staying outside, hoping for an indefinite exemption in the FIFA world, and not paying an expansion fee once the league was established. from a business point of view, the CPL teams took all the risks, establish the league, signed the deal with media pro, got the sponsors, etc., they should be rewarded for those risks as Fury didn’t help them to create it   Fury bet against them league by staying outside and now they go burned.  It’s as simple as that  

Getting involved with pro soccer in North America has usually been a shockingly bad business decision. The one good thing about the press conference was hearing John Pugh state that CanPL are following the MLS business model given MLS has been by far the most successful soccer league in North America in terms of financial stability.

The one thought that crossed my mind at that point is that if OSEG are already struggling financially in terms of their total operation they may not have been keen on taking on a risky 10 year commitment with no easy escape route no matter how it is structured. Don't often write this but Duane Rollins may have called it right last year that they may have been looking for a way out of the sport to cut their losses and were not fully committed even to the USL team.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Bad business decision? The opposite.

OSEG only ran the Fury to get the original contract without a competition.

These guys are about property development. The CFL is a toy. The other sports are an obligation.

of course they knew this could happen ... they were probably banking on it! (And it sounds like they bailed before it was fully settled or all options exhausted?)

If anything, OSEG made a great business decision staying in USL as the sanctioning issue gave them cover for getting out of a money losing venture - one that was never really part of their core plans anyway. This was their ticket out and they took it.

How bad would it look for Their contract with the city if they just shut up shop for no reason other than for losing money? 

How bad would it have looked if they joined CanPL and bailed for year two?

Edited by The Real Marc