CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, Viruk42 said:

Why? 

Here is the question then, who has more power here, the CSA or CPL/CSB, if the the CSA say you can only play in the CPL then they have to be let in. The CSA can dictate that. 

OSEG has five owners of which John Pugh is one them. He is a true soccer guy and sits on the CSA board. This whole thing is bizarre. By not letting them stay in the USL, they have damaged the market, as going with no team in 2020 makes a out of sight, out of mind scenario. I can see OSEG deciding that rugby league looks interesting and with all the buzz it’s getting right now with Sonny Bill Williams signing with Toronto, I can see that interest really ramping up.

I know it’s not ideal in some eyes to be in USL, but it’s a much better option than not having a team at all.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

I know it’s not ideal in some eyes to be in USL, but it’s a much better option than not having a team at all.

There is a third option that some keep ignoring - getting a CPL team up and running in Ottawa. 

Yes, this is a loss in the near term and it sucks for Ottawa footy fans. But if OSEG was as resistant to the idea of joining CPL as some of their comments and actions suggest (though this is still speculation) maybe people in the know thought it was better to get started in the hard work of building an Ottawa based CPL team than perpetuate the status quo.   

I still maintain that if this ultimately results in a CPL team in Ottawa, it will have been the right move. 

Here is the question then, who has more power here, the CSA or CPL/CSB, if the the CSA say you can only play in the CPL then they have to be let in. The CSA can dictate that. 

OSEG has five owners of which John Pugh is one them. He is a true soccer guy and sits on the CSA board. This whole thing is bizarre. By not letting them stay in the USL, they have damaged the market, as going with no team in 2020 makes a out of sight, out of mind scenario. I can see OSEG deciding that rugby league looks interesting and with all the buzz it’s getting right now with Sonny Bill Williams signing with Toronto, I can see that interest really ramping up.

From what the Fury have said, it was neither the CSA, nor the CPL, that made the decision. They wanted to stay in USL, apparently the CSA gave them the okay. Which suggests it's CONCACAF/FIFA, maybe US Soccer, that wasn't cool with it. But why should they be cool with it? They don't care about Ottawa, or even really Canadian soccer, they likely have bigger concerns. The Fury wanted sanctioning to be in USL, but why should CONCACAF give them the okay? They don't have to, they have rules in place for this kind of situation and the Fury wanted to be special, despite no evidence that they actually deserved to be treated as a special case. 

The Fury and OSEG aren’t victims here. This is exactly what most of us said would happen when they chose to play the role of stick in the mud. This was very avoidable and foreseeable, and it’s entirely the Fury’s own doing. I feel for the fans, as I said in a previous comment, but I won’t go along with this bs about the Fury being innocent little victims who were blindsided by this monstrosity! 

I hope we can all move on. I hope that a new CPL club is created in Ottawa now, owner by serious people. It’s what Ottawa fans deserve. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

The USL was unknown too, I'm sure fans will figure out a rivalry with Hamilton or Calgary just as quick as they figured out where in the hell is Swope Park or Loudoun united is.  

Sorry, what I meant was that the average fan has heard of Saint Louis FC, but won't know where Valour FC is.  Education will be required to tell people that Valour = Winnipeg.    

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

The USL was unknown too, I'm sure fans will figure out a rivalry with Hamilton or Calgary just as quick as they figured out where in the hell is Swope Park or Loudoun united is.  

Edited by JamboAl
Double post

Here is an example, Canada has two sanctioned pro basketball leagues now right  the NBL Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League. No one is telling anyone which one teams can play in or not. The unique sanctioning power soccer has in their sport is something I still shake my head one.

Here is an example, Canada has two sanctioned pro basketball leagues now right  the NBL Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League. No one is telling anyone which one teams can play in or not. The unique sanctioning power soccer has in their sport is something I still shake my head one.

Soccer =/= basketball.

Imagine if teams were allowed to play wherever they wanted, would there still be as many top level leagues in Europe? Or would the elite teams breakaway and congregate in one league? That wouldn’t be good for any metric of development in a soccer context.

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sorry, what I meant was that the average fan has heard of Saint Louis FC, but won't know where Valour FC is.  Education will be required to tell people that Valour = Winnipeg.    

The average fan has probably heard of Saint Louis, sure, but not Loudoun. If education is required, it should be easier to educate fans about the Canadian teams because they can actually place those cities on a map and there are obviously fewer teams to worry about. 

I still maintain that Ottawa fans would be far more interested in seeing the CPL teams over Bethlehem, Charleston, Louisville, Penn FC, Richmond, Loudoun, Swope Park - none of whom I could place on a map - or the obvious farm teams in Orlando B, Atlanta 2, and NYRB II. It might be a small difference, but I think it makes a difference and could help to speed up the reintegration of Ottawa area fans. 

17 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Probably why soccer is the most popular sport in the world

I have been enjoying the Ottawa Fury conversation for the last 12-18 months. If you understand how FIFA works, you saw this coming 12 months ago. FIFA has enormous financial interest in reducing cross-border competitions, such as, for example, blocking UEFA’s attempts to establish a Euro Super League.

Why does all that matter in tiny irrelevant Ottawa? (No disrespect meant, I love Ottawa, and I say that only from a world football perspective). One word: Precedence. Every exception that FIFA allows erodes it’s own grip on cross-border and international competitions, and hence, revenue. This is much much much bigger than Ottawa. 

Occasionally, we get the “who cares about FIFA” crowd posting things like, “Ottawa should play wherever they want”, and “this is a democracy”, and “we’ll sue them”. Those are very funny. Some of the other members try to explain how world football is govern, but the bottom line, it’s not like the NHL or CFL or MLB. If you want to run a football club, FIFA dictates, you follow, and you better understand the rules. Research that at your own leisure. 

Look, I’m a CPL STH, and I hate that Fury are dead. I feel for the fans. But, chin up people! This is a rebirth! Ottawa is too big, too important, and too beautiful to be out of the CPL for long. I say it will be 2022, and will treat 2021 as gravy!

15 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

CPL:                                                                                                       https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-statement-on-ottawa-fury-suspending-operations             

That’s quite the olive branch the CPL is outing out to Ottawa.  They’re also unabashedly saying that they will pursue an Ottawa team no matter what now.

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

That’s quite the olive branch the CPL is outing out to Ottawa.  They’re also unabashedly saying that they will pursue an Ottawa team no matter what now.

They said the same thing previously I think. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They said the same thing previously I think. 

It will be interesting as any deal for soccer in Ottawa will have to go through OSEG as the manage TD Place. As typical with any lease deal OSEG could keep concessions and parking to themselves, maybe giving the CPL owner 5-10% of it. The CPL will have to rely on ticket sales and sponsorships for their revenue. Also they would be hamstrung by the conflicts that will likely come up with as a result of what deals OSEG already has in place. It will be interesting. 

I feel like my original thought still hasn't been answered: if Ottawa was losing money in USL and folding was a better option than joining the CPL, just what the hell is the situation with the CPL finances.  And yeah, I get that they didn't want to pay an expansion fee and I'm sure there's some hard feelings on both sides here.  But surely for the good of the game in Canada something could have been quietly arranged.  Like "sell you're USL franchise to a US market and that money covers your expansion fee".

I wish I could link the local CTV News item on the Fury.  It would make most of you guy’s/gal’s blood boil; made it sound like OSEG was the victim.  At least, that’s my take on it.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I feel like my original thought still hasn't been answered: if Ottawa was losing money in USL and folding was a better option than joining the CPL, just what the hell is the situation with the CPL finances.  And yeah, I get that they didn't want to pay an expansion fee and I'm sure there's some hard feelings on both sides here.  But surely for the good of the game in Canada something could have been quietly arranged.  Like "sell you're USL franchise to a US market and that money covers your expansion fee".

I don't think it's about the money, I think it's about ego/personality/etc. Fury ownership clearly just don't get along with CPL owners at this point.

37 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

I don't think it's about the money, I think it's about ego/personality/etc. Fury ownership clearly just don't get along with CPL owners at this point.

Oh, I don't disagree that's a factor.  But to fold a club over that?  That seems to be another level.

CONCACAF says Fury blew it. 

"We have recently been working through an incomplete application for Ottawa Fury to compete in the United Soccer League in 2020. We will not comment on the details of that application, and given today’s announcement we now consider the matter closed." 2/2

An "incomplete application". Right. Probably just forgot to check off the "Do you want correspondance in English or French" box.

5 hours ago, Sébastien said:

Yeah, TFC2 in USL1 is the big "wtf?!" that I see.

MLS? I get it.

T-Bay? I get it. LO1 would be unfeasible for them due to geography.

But TFC2? Come on. The fact that everyone is ok letting them continue in USL1 was a joke before, and it's even moreso one now.

The Canadian MLS reserve/2/Farm teams are seen as an extension of the parent club and not a standalone team, that's why TFC2 and the former VWCFC 2 and Impacts FC Montreal were allowed into the USL.