Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

The USL was unknown too, I'm sure fans will figure out a rivalry with Hamilton or Calgary just as quick as they figured out where in the hell is Swope Park or Loudoun united is.  

Edited by JamboAl
Double post

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Here is an example, Canada has two sanctioned pro basketball leagues now right  the NBL Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League. No one is telling anyone which one teams can play in or not. The unique sanctioning power soccer has in their sport is something I still shake my head one.

Soccer =/= basketball.

Imagine if teams were allowed to play wherever they wanted, would there still be as many top level leagues in Europe? Or would the elite teams breakaway and congregate in one league? That wouldn’t be good for any metric of development in a soccer context.

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sorry, what I meant was that the average fan has heard of Saint Louis FC, but won't know where Valour FC is.  Education will be required to tell people that Valour = Winnipeg.    

The average fan has probably heard of Saint Louis, sure, but not Loudoun. If education is required, it should be easier to educate fans about the Canadian teams because they can actually place those cities on a map and there are obviously fewer teams to worry about. 

I still maintain that Ottawa fans would be far more interested in seeing the CPL teams over Bethlehem, Charleston, Louisville, Penn FC, Richmond, Loudoun, Swope Park - none of whom I could place on a map - or the obvious farm teams in Orlando B, Atlanta 2, and NYRB II. It might be a small difference, but I think it makes a difference and could help to speed up the reintegration of Ottawa area fans. 

17 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Here is an example, Canada has two sanctioned pro basketball leagues now right  the NBL Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League. No one is telling anyone which one teams can play in or not. The unique sanctioning power soccer has in their sport is something I still shake my head one.

Probably why soccer is the most popular sport in the world

I have been enjoying the Ottawa Fury conversation for the last 12-18 months. If you understand how FIFA works, you saw this coming 12 months ago. FIFA has enormous financial interest in reducing cross-border competitions, such as, for example, blocking UEFA’s attempts to establish a Euro Super League.

Why does all that matter in tiny irrelevant Ottawa? (No disrespect meant, I love Ottawa, and I say that only from a world football perspective). One word: Precedence. Every exception that FIFA allows erodes it’s own grip on cross-border and international competitions, and hence, revenue. This is much much much bigger than Ottawa. 

Occasionally, we get the “who cares about FIFA” crowd posting things like, “Ottawa should play wherever they want”, and “this is a democracy”, and “we’ll sue them”. Those are very funny. Some of the other members try to explain how world football is govern, but the bottom line, it’s not like the NHL or CFL or MLB. If you want to run a football club, FIFA dictates, you follow, and you better understand the rules. Research that at your own leisure. 

Look, I’m a CPL STH, and I hate that Fury are dead. I feel for the fans. But, chin up people! This is a rebirth! Ottawa is too big, too important, and too beautiful to be out of the CPL for long. I say it will be 2022, and will treat 2021 as gravy!

15 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

CPL:                                                                                                       https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-statement-on-ottawa-fury-suspending-operations             

That’s quite the olive branch the CPL is outing out to Ottawa.  They’re also unabashedly saying that they will pursue an Ottawa team no matter what now.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They said the same thing previously I think. 

It will be interesting as any deal for soccer in Ottawa will have to go through OSEG as the manage TD Place. As typical with any lease deal OSEG could keep concessions and parking to themselves, maybe giving the CPL owner 5-10% of it. The CPL will have to rely on ticket sales and sponsorships for their revenue. Also they would be hamstrung by the conflicts that will likely come up with as a result of what deals OSEG already has in place. It will be interesting. 

I feel like my original thought still hasn't been answered: if Ottawa was losing money in USL and folding was a better option than joining the CPL, just what the hell is the situation with the CPL finances.  And yeah, I get that they didn't want to pay an expansion fee and I'm sure there's some hard feelings on both sides here.  But surely for the good of the game in Canada something could have been quietly arranged.  Like "sell you're USL franchise to a US market and that money covers your expansion fee".

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I feel like my original thought still hasn't been answered: if Ottawa was losing money in USL and folding was a better option than joining the CPL, just what the hell is the situation with the CPL finances.  And yeah, I get that they didn't want to pay an expansion fee and I'm sure there's some hard feelings on both sides here.  But surely for the good of the game in Canada something could have been quietly arranged.  Like "sell you're USL franchise to a US market and that money covers your expansion fee".

I don't think it's about the money, I think it's about ego/personality/etc. Fury ownership clearly just don't get along with CPL owners at this point.

5 hours ago, Sébastien said:

Yeah, TFC2 in USL1 is the big "wtf?!" that I see.

MLS? I get it.

T-Bay? I get it. LO1 would be unfeasible for them due to geography.

But TFC2? Come on. The fact that everyone is ok letting them continue in USL1 was a joke before, and it's even moreso one now.

The Canadian MLS reserve/2/Farm teams are seen as an extension of the parent club and not a standalone team, that's why TFC2 and the former VWCFC 2 and Impacts FC Montreal were allowed into the USL.

RE Kurt Larson:  Welcomed with open arms only if they have a nice big cheque to go along with it.  At the end of the day the USL franchise is worthless, you cant sell it, no one will buy it etc, CPL wanted something (several million etc--I'm not buying the 8mil some people throw around) and based on that the economics didnt make sense.  Plus they didnt like being forced into it...and mistakenly thought they could wangle out of it again somehow this fall. 

I just dont see how any of this gets settled...CPL lets them in with no fee??? Doubtful, how about CONCACAF changes their mind and gives another 1 year reprieve??  Not hardly.....or maybe Ottawa joins, pays the fee and vows to win the championship every year....

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

It’s a sport that has existed throughout the reshaping of countries and borders. The regulations are a result of a long history of trial and error 

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

That’s quite the olive branch the CPL is outing out to Ottawa.  They’re also unabashedly saying that they will pursue an Ottawa team no matter what now.

Just for fun I'm going to go devils advocate and see a potential dark side of the statement. Say it's more like the mafia coming for their protection money and fury refusing to pay. 

"Of course we respect your decision not to join the cpl. dont hestitste to let us know if you change your mind"

*The csa/concacaf/fifa heavies smash things up*

"...so OSEG let me ask you that question one more time..."

Also a passive a warning shot in that statement for any other potential ownership groups that they have to fit and toe the CPL line. 

Dont mess with Don Clanachan, he'll piss in your coffee. 

*edit* I do actually think the statement is pretty cold. Its straight in, not with mention of the Fury situation (further down the article) but firmly reiterating the intent to bring a CPL team to Ottawa. 

Edited by toontownman

26 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

The Canadian MLS reserve/2/Farm teams are seen as an extension of the parent club and not a standalone team, that's why TFC2 and the former VWCFC 2 and Impacts FC Montreal were allowed into the USL.

Wasn't Don Garber recently complaining though that Vancouver and Montreal can't put new teams in USL now?