Ottawa CPL Club

So a tenancy agreement from a third party could bring them perhaps 1 mil in revenue. Not to mention the spin off to the retail area they control. They just have to sit back and be landlords. They would say No? Sound like smart dudes

If they're negotiating in good faith im sure the city would be thrilled with that. Aren't taxpayers money involved here?

Edited by SpursFlu

Its odd - when it comes to the idea of the Fury moving to CPL, some are arguing it was purely a financial decision and not a product of ill will towards CPL.

But when it comes to the idea of allowing another CPL club to play in the stadium and pay OSEG rent (a basic business decision), it seems like this might be something that they would not agree to.

It seems like it can't be both.  Either OSEG is making a financial decision and should be fine with another CPL tenant potentially setting up shop, or they are not open to that possibility (and likely made other CPL-related decisions on the basis of more than financial considerations). 

In respect of international protocols for sanctioning, Canada Soccer provides approval through its Board of Directors on an annual basis for sanctioning of the participation of all Canadian soccer clubs in cross border leagues. In 2019, Canada Soccer has brought forward to US Soccer and Concacaf a request for the sanctioning of 13 teams across six leagues, including the Ottawa Fury FC in the USL, to compete for the 2020 season.

Ottawa Fury FC were informed of the approval by Canada Soccer’s Board of Directors on 17 May and that the next steps in the process would continue in accordance with Concacaf timelines. As recent as 7 November, Canada Soccer continued to work through the subsequent approval process with US Soccer and Concacaf to facilitate a decision being made by the other governing bodies.

Edited by Ansem

But arent taxpayer dollars involved? How can they do that? There has to be a price? They would likely be violating their contract with the city? They don't own the stadium.. they're providing a service for the city and just saying no to a potential revenue stream because of a personal motive would likely violate the terms of their contract with the city

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Its odd - when it comes to the idea of the Fury moving to CPL, some are arguing it was purely a financial decision and not a product of ill will towards CPL.

But when it comes to the idea of allowing another CPL club to play in the stadium and pay OSEG rent (a basic business decision), it seems like this might be something that they would not agree to.

It seems like it can't be both.  Either OSEG is making a financial decision and should be fine with another CPL tenant potentially setting up shop, or they are not open to that possibility (and likely made other CPL-related decisions on the basis of more than financial considerations). 

MLS MLSE controlled proxy war. They're like villagers having a crate of Soviet era machine guns dropped into their village. These guys are going down with the ship

If the City of Ottawa wants a footie team in TD there will be a team in TD regardless of what OSEG would rather.  At a reasonable rent to-boot.

Still, really good time to be exploring alternatives.  Think IGF is a good building for footie but with the right alternatives would swap some of a modern CFL's stadium luxuries for a cozier home.  In a heartbeat.

54 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How bad do you think the Fury faithful will take this? If by hook or by crook the 2 sides get a deal and in 2021 we see a reformed CPL Fury, will there be lasting effects?  It seems like the Eddies couldnt seem to get the fans out this last season after taking a year off.  

The Eddies ran it like a turnkey operation. Instead, they should have done things to change it from the NASL match day experience.

They also went with too much of the old guard in terms of players who weren't that easy to watch - now at least they got rid a bunch of them.

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's not about refusing to let a team play and pay rent. It's about ensuring that deal can be struck between the two that makes financial sense for both. Will that be possible? I don't know.

It's obvious that CPL budgets are low, and there's only one team who is playing in a stadium not owned/operated by their owner or by the municipality. I have no clue what type of rent or agreement OSEG would put forward. The question is: would it be too much for a CPL club? How does stadium advertising get split, in-stadium purchases, etc? Who pays for the change of lines of the pitch?

I'm sure OSEG and the City would want another tenant at Frank Claire. I just don't know if the numbers would make sense for a CPL franchise, because we know so little about CPL finances generally, and not a whole lot more from OSEG.

***Final Edit

But I hope a CPL club comes in, and does so quickly. If they have a launch party, I will be there. And will one of the first in line for season tickets.

Edited by Sébastien

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, as far as another soccer group going into TD??  Oh you bet, OSEG wont want that at all.  But others were qouting an article as proof OESG might be having trouble with the stadium, which could be a reason for all this, which I think is not true at all.  

OSEG would probably be in favour of another team coming into TD. Leasing revenue without the risk and more programming for the area, which they've talked about as necessary for the health of the entire development.

16 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

If the City of Ottawa wants a footie team in TD there will be a team in TD regardless of what OSEG would rather.  At a reasonable rent to-boot.

Still, really good time to be exploring alternatives.  Think IGF is a good building for footie but with the right alternatives would swap some of a modern CFL's stadium luxuries for a cozier home.  In a heartbeat.

Hard for OSEG to refuse revenues opportunities out of pettiness with CPL. The city doesn't care about drama...it wants it's money.

Have to fill those dates.

Also, why would you piss off fans who wants soccer in Ottawa? Some of them are fans of the 67s and Redblacks

It's been hard for me to read this thread and stay dispassionate and logical, but I'll try.

First, I think the governing bodies of Canada Soccer, USSF, and CONCACAF need to respond to this press conference. Goudie basically said that CONCACAF decisions override any national body. If so, then what's the point of having a national body? From what he said, it sounds like CONCACAF ghosted them without letting them know of the alternatives. If OSEG started this process in May and got approval from CanSoc by June, why didn't CONCACAF immediately tell them in no uncertain terms that they were not getting 2020 sanctioning to give them time to make alternative arrangements? It comes across as CONCACAF choosing a timeline that would cause the Fury the most damage. 

If CONCACAF really did let the Fury know earlier, then it's all on the Fury. But if the governing bodies left the Fury to twist in the wind, then that speaks to something personal, not professional in their conduct. Then again, it's the same with Goudie in the Fury presser talking of ulterior motives, lack of trust, and ransom notes. There's a deeper story here, but I'm betting no investigative reporter cares enough to dig for it.

And don't think that the MLS clubs aren't taking notes how the Fury have been treated. They'll be busy planning contingencies for when CONCACAF tries to do the same to them. TFC especially. MLSE is owned by the two most powerful media conglomerates in Canada who would have no qualms about turning up the bias against CONCACAF if it threatens one of their investments. As we all fond of saying, it's just business.

And speaking of business, part of me can't help but feel a nagging suspicion that OSEG is using the politics as a smokescreen for dropping a money-losing operation. The truth lies buried somewhere inbetween and I don't think anyone is going to find it for at least another decade or longer.

Regardless of the motives, the outcome is a dead club. I keep asking myself, who benefits from this? Where's the money trail? Does Montigliani really think that there is an investor who would try to put a club in a city where attempts have failed more than once? It's all fine to talk of Bob Young being a white knight, but then I worry about one owner holding too many clubs and the whole thing collapses like a pack of cards.  

This has probably set back professional soccer in the capital for probably a decade. Think of the cascading effect among prospective CanPL owners - if that can happen to the Ottawa Fury, what's to keep that from happening in their own city? How many investors will get cold feet and delay starting a franchise, which in turn leads to CanPL fans getting tired of the stale, same 7 clubs and slowly drifting away to where there are only 1-3000 per attending per game? When the media money runs out in 10 years and there is no follow-up contract, what then? I don't know about you guys, but I'm really concerned about unexpected ramifications of today's events on the future of Canadian Soccer. 

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

In respect of international protocols for sanctioning, Canada Soccer provides approval through its Board of Directors on an annual basis for sanctioning of the participation of all Canadian soccer clubs in cross border leagues. In 2019, Canada Soccer has brought forward to US Soccer and Concacaf a request for the sanctioning of 13 teams across six leagues, including the Ottawa Fury FC in the USL, to compete for the 2020 season.

Ottawa Fury FC were informed of the approval by Canada Soccer’s Board of Directors on 17 May and that the next steps in the process would continue in accordance with Concacaf timelines. As recent as 7 November, Canada Soccer continued to work through the subsequent approval process with US Soccer and Concacaf to facilitate a decision being made by the other governing bodies.

So that pretty much exonerates Canada Soccer from being a villain in this sad affair. However, that Nov 7th timeline seems to contradict what Goudie said about being told they were on their own in mid October. Now attention turns to  the USSF and CONCACAF responses. The longer they wait to address this, the more suspicious this becomes that it's personal and not professional. Looking forward to their spin.

Edited by Initial B

2 minutes ago, Initial B said:

So that pretty much exonerates Canada Soccer from being a villain in this sad afair. Now attention turns to  the USSF and CONCACAF responses. The longer they wait to address this, the more suspicious this becomes that it's personal and not professional. Looing forward to their spin.

It's unlikely the USSF addresses this and CONCACAF will just state the rules being applied.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It's unlikely the USSF addresses this and CONCACAF will just state the rules being applied.

But then that opens up a whole can of worms, with the CanSoc statement saying they had 11 teams applying for cross-border sanctioning. Why single out the Fury unless the other clubs are also going to get similarly treated?

I'm not sure how CONCACAF could have made themselves any clearer than they already had last year. 

It's all well and good that Canada Soccer and the USSF are cool with Ottawa playing in USL but it isn't just down to them.  For their own reasons CONCACAF doesn't want cross-border leagues if an alternative exists.  Period.  

The cynic in me suspects Canada Soccer approved Ottawa's application knowing exactly what was coming from CONCACAF.  And why wouldn't they?  Let someone else wear this.

19 minutes ago, Initial B said:

But then that opens up a whole can of worms, with the CanSoc statement saying they had 11 teams applying for cross-border sanctioning. Why single out the Fury unless the other clubs are also going to get similarly treated?

Isn't that stated in the rules?

1 minute ago, Initial B said:

Then what about the TFC Academy teams playing in the US development league when they have OPDL (Not to mention TFCII in USL1)? Or the Thunder Bay Chill when they have L1O? 

Because there arent millions of dollars tied up in trying to establish a national OPDL league

6 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Bingo. Fury are being singled out.

Yeah, TFC2 in USL1 is the big "wtf?!" that I see.

MLS? I get it.

T-Bay? I get it. LO1 would be unfeasible for them due to geography.

But TFC2? Come on. The fact that everyone is ok letting them continue in USL1 was a joke before, and it's even moreso one now.

Edited by Sébastien

3 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Then what about the TFC Academy teams playing in the US development league when they have OPDL (Not to mention TFCII in USL1)? Or the Thunder Bay Chill when they have L1O? 

Thunder Bay Chill was granted a special exception. The travel between Thunder Bay and the existing L1O teams is killer. As a result, L1O didn't want them (because of the sharp increase in costs for their teams), and TB didn't want L1O for the same issues (especially as they currently operate in a smaller region designed specifically to decrease those costs). Ontario Soccer, which governs sanctioning of provincial leagues, understood the exceptional circumstances and acted appropriately.

3 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Yeah, TFC2 in USL1 is the big "wtf?!" that I see.

MLS? I get it?

T-Bay? I get it. LO1 would be unfeasible for them due to geography.

But TFC2? Come on. The fact that everyone is ok letting them continue in USL1 was a joke before, and it's even moreso one now.

I agree, it's strange for them to let TFC II continue in USL-1. Although, there is no "comparable league" at this time (a CSA division-2 that is a step down from CPL & up from L1O).

That said, we haven't exactly heard anything about their status for 2020, so for all we know, they might end up with similar issues.

37 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I

This has probably set back professional soccer in the capital for probably a decade. Think of the cascading effect among prospective CanPL owners - if that can happen to the Ottawa Fury, what's to keep that from happening in their own city? How many investors will get cold feet and delay starting a franchise, which in turn leads to CanPL fans getting tired of the stale, same 7 clubs and slowly drifting away to where there are only 1-3000 per attending per game? When the media money runs out in 10 years and there is no follow-up contract, what then? I don't know about you guys, but I'm really concerned about unexpected ramifications of today's events on the future of Canadian Soccer. 

I buy all that but a new guy coming into CPL isnt going to have sanctioning problems, which is "the reason" why the Fury have packed it in for the time being.  If you cant play with the americans and cant make a deal with CPL..then you are stuck.   But any new team will not be in that situation, so I'm not sure if it hurts on that front.  To me this is a self inflicted wound...if Fury were playing hardball as far as rosters and cap last year and then again this year on a break on a entrance fee then they dont really want soccer then eh?  You took your ball and decided not to play because you couldnt make a deal with the only league that you were going to be allowed to play in.  There was no "choice" for Fury....it was CPL or nothing and they chose nothing.  Very dissapointing