2018 Voyageurs Cup

With Edmonton now out I would assume it will be a 3 round tourney with a draw for PLSQ, L10 vs Impact, Fury. With the two highest placed MLS teams, Toronto and Van getting a by to the semi's. It adds extra games for the Impact but thats only a good thing for Canadian soccer as they will most likely play young Canadians and it will give the lucky semi pro team who draws them a lot of exposure. Hopefully it will also mean that the games are televised as its a big team in the quarters instead of just Div 2 teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might add extra games for the Impact, as they'd have to get past Vancouver as well. But it's not like they have Champions League games, so they could start in the April 17/April 24 Champions League window. Though that's before both L1O and PLSQ start their seasons.

Even if they have to travel to Hamilton(?), it's not that big of a deal, and presumably they can send a B squad for the first leg. Though regional match-ups like Quebec-vs-Quebec and Ontario-vs-Ontario match-ups are quite traditional in many cup competitions, and would probably maximize attendance.

It would certainly be more interesting than having the two minnows knock themselves out first.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the format has been chosen.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-s15268

• In 2018, the competition will feature six clubs from four different leagues: Toronto FC (MLS), Impact Montreal FC (MLS), and Vancouver Whitecaps FC (MLS) all earn automatic berths to the semi-final round. Ottawa Fury FC (USL) earns a second qualifying round berth. In addition, the champions of Ontario and Quebec’s top senior club competitions, League1 Ontario and Première ligue de soccer du Québec, earn entry to the opening first qualifying round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Canadian_Championship

1 hour ago, Raven1555362272 said:

• In 2018, the competition will feature six clubs from four different leagues: Toronto FC (MLS), Impact Montreal FC (MLS), and Vancouver Whitecaps FC (MLS) all earn automatic berths to the semi-final round. Ottawa Fury FC (USL) earns a second qualifying round berth. In addition, the champions of Ontario and Quebec’s top senior club competitions, League1 Ontario and Première ligue de soccer du Québec, earn entry to the opening first qualifying round.

EDIT: Just saw it in the English version. It didn't show up in the French version.

On 2017-12-20 at 11:35 PM, Raven1555362272 said:

That's disappointing. I would have rather they keep the inter provincial cup and have only the winners advance, so they would at least keep the history of that trophy.

But given they said both made it I was hoping they could both play pro clubs. The format they chose cuts the chances of an upset or even a hotly contested loss in half.

I'm really disappointed in the format that was chosen, especially since we were originally told that the PLSQ and L1O teams would not be facing each other in an opening round. They've earned their place and deserve to play against the pros.

Hopefully this is the only year that plays out this way and the CanPL (and maybe PDL) teams are allowed in for the 2019 version.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, Rintaran said:

I'm really disappointed in the format that was chosen, especially since we were originally told that the PLSQ and L1O teams would not be facing each other in an opening round. They've earned their place and deserve to play against the pros.

Hopefully this is the only year that plays out this way and the CanPL (and maybe PDL) teams are allowed in for the 2019 version.

The CSA also originally thought that FCE would still be in this tournament, so plans had to justifiably change.

11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

The CSA also originally thought that FCE would still be in this tournament, so plans had to justifiably change.

Yeah, but we have already made suggestions for what they could have done. Personally I was hoping for one tier 3 team against Ottawa and one against an MLS team (probably Vancouver because they weren't a finalist this year). It would make the tournament more fair (reducing the number of rounds for the bottom teams) and also ensure both teams get exposure against a pro team, one of them even getting a shot against an MLS team.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have had two 3 team groups plus a final. It would have given each team four games in group stage while giving the lower level teams some exposure. Now there would have been some obstacles to this like sticking the MLS teams with games if this nature, making one of the D3 squads travel to Vancouver, the D3 teams stadiums for games against MLS sides etc but in the end I think it could have been worked out.

Schedule is out, recap here https://the11.ca/canadian-championship-schedule-finally-gets-itself-away-from-the-nhl-playoffs/

First Qualifying Round (1QR)
6 June 2018 AS Blainville v Oakville Blue Devils
13 June 2018 Oakville Blue Devils v AS Blainville

Second Qualifying Round (2QR)
20 June 2018 Winner 1QR v Ottawa Fury FC
27 June 2018 Ottawa Fury FC v Winner 1QR

Semi-Final Round
18 July 2018 Winner 2QR v Toronto FC
18 July 2018 Impact Montreal FC v Vancouver Whitecaps FC
25 July 2018 Toronto FC v Winner 2QR
25 July 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Impact Montreal FC

Final Round
8 August 2018 Winner Semi-Final v Winner Semi-Final
15 August 2018 Winner Semi-Final v Winner Semi-Final

5 hours ago, mtlfan said:

Blainville are plying their home game in Laval according to Canada Soccer.  This I do not like but It must be because of Blainville not having a proper pitch.

Do you know what about their pitch isn’t proper? No lights? Grid iron lines? Lack of seating?

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

Do you know what about their pitch isn’t proper? No lights? Grid iron lines? Lack of seating?

This is their facility. Field may be artificial but it looks soccer specific. Hard to tell if there are seats or lights. I might see light standards. 

IMG_20180111_232452.png

17 hours ago, Cblake said:

Would be interesting to see if Oakville or Blainville think about recruiting some short term re-enforcements for their V Cup march. Imagine someone along the lines Patrice Bernier among others suiting up.

Something along the lines of what Wembley FC did a few years ago for their FA Cup matches.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/18534739

There's actually some fairly lengthy roster requirements pages 37-38 here:
https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0121/1208/1_L1O_Operations_Manual_v8_10_updated_03_30_2017.pdf

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

There's actually some fairly lengthy roster requirements pages 37-38 here:
https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0121/1208/1_L1O_Operations_Manual_v8_10_updated_03_30_2017.pdf

I just read those rules and the short version is that they have to be rostered players (not registered with another team, and no “temporary eligibility permits” allowed, whatever that is). Also, a maximum of 10 players can be added to the roster since last fall.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Heepster said:

"it will be nice to add some depth to the Canadian Championship with more rounds"

How many more rounds would they make MLS teams play?

I am guessing that when they add rounds for MLS it will come with a change to a single knockout format instead of home and away. I get the feeling that MLS teams don’t want to be playing more than 4 games for this tournament at this time. So if we get 8ish more teams from CPL that would take us to 13 teams in the tournament. Add a few more from D3 to round it out to 16 teams. Then make it a single knockout and you get a max of 4 games. I really, really, hope they don’t do something like give the MLS teams a bye past a round where CPL teams are playing. A bye for the champs if needed, sure. But MLS and CPL should be treated as the same tier.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, mtlfan said:

Blainville are plying their home game in Laval according to Canada Soccer.  This I do not like but It must be because of Blainville not having a proper pitch.

Did Canada Soccer mention where in Laval AS Blainville will be playing? I am in the Rive-Nord all the time, and wouldn't mind checking this game out.  

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Did Canada Soccer mention where in Laval AS Blainville will be playing? I am in the Rive-Nord all the time, and wouldn't mind checking this game out.  

Don't think it was announced.

I'll be there too though, hope to have at least a small V's section at the first game. 

Going to have, I think, a pretty big one on the second leg. 

50 minutes ago, admin said:

Don't think it was announced.

I'll be there too though, hope to have at least a small V's section at the first game. 

Going to have, I think, a pretty big one on the second leg. 

Yeah, the V`s tend to be very SW Ontario oriented. 

En tout cas, I hope that Blainville puts on a good show and pulls through. 

Archived