CPL All-star game

Jith12

9 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Wouldn't it be good to pick up casual fans, though? Also, extra revenue from tv, tickets and merch will be great for the league, won't it?

Do people even watch MLS all-star?

Getting owned and toy with by Euro clubs is a poor way to sell your league if you ask me

I think the MLS route is the way to go. It is stupid to have an allstar game mid season sporting wise, but the amount of money and attention it could generate I think means we'll end up having one. Maybe start out with clubs like Rangers, MLS allstars would destroy Rangers. Maybe clubs like Celtic or Ajax, storied clubs that have huge name recognition, but are clearly a level or 2 below the top clubs on the field. Although I can't stress enough how much Rangers would be a fit as a very famous team, but one that also sucks. 

Just to add onto this thought though, A European club with a CMNT player on it that could be heavily promoted would work well as well. Like when Bayern and Julien Green feature vs the MLS all stars, he was the big focus for the media when talking about Bayern. Same with Zalaem when Arsenal played MLS. For us that could be Hutch and Besiktas, Arfield and Burnley, Hoilett for Cardiff if they make it back to the prem. Perhaps more comparable to the examples above regarding americans would be Liam Millar with Liverpool. In the future it could be CanPL allstars vs Alphonso Davies and whichever big club he's sold to. 

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Getting owned and toy with by Euro clubs is a poor way to sell your league if you ask me

The All-Star game is the highest single revenue generating game for MLS. It's a shit game, but they sold 61,000 tickets at over $200 a pop and get to keep half the money. Even after costs the league probably made $2-3 million off this year's game.

Friendlies makes more sense than all-star.

Your local team playing a Euro side in a friendly will get more casuals to the game.

8 CPL teams playing friendlies against Euro or CONMEBOL teams the same week is better than 1 all-star game where the best Canada has too offer gets humiliated.

Seriously, at least losing in a friendly is not as bad as all stars losing and all the teams get to make extra money and feature a special match locally to attract more casuals.

Just saying.

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Friendlies makes more sense than all-star.

Your local team playing a Euro side in a friendly will get more casuals to the game.

8 CPL teams playing friendlies against Euro or CONMEBOL teams the same week is better than 1 all-star game where the best Canada has too offer gets humiliated.

Seriously, at least losing in a friendly is not as bad as all stars losing and all the teams get to make extra money and feature a special match locally to attract more casuals.

Just saying.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. 

Go for cash grabs. I get it, the league needs this sort of thing to offset the actual season, and I don't mind seeing my local team try to get something out of a big name club, even if we get wrecked

What I dislike is advertising the fact that North American soccer is so far back that we need to cobble together the best of the best in the league to take on one of those clubs competitively. That's just going to reinforce "eurosnob" tendencies  

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

It......makes........bank

But petsonally I'd rather teams just arrange friendlies with mid level Euro clubs

13 hours ago, BradMack said:

I think the MLS route is the way to go. It is stupid to have an allstar game mid season sporting wise, but the amount of money and attention it could generate I think means we'll end up having one. Maybe start out with clubs like Rangers, MLS allstars would destroy Rangers. Maybe clubs like Celtic or Ajax, storied clubs that have huge name recognition, but are clearly a level or 2 below the top clubs on the field. Although I can't stress enough how much Rangers would be a fit as a very famous team, but one that also sucks. 

Just to add onto this thought though, A European club with a CMNT player on it that could be heavily promoted would work well as well. Like when Bayern and Julien Green feature vs the MLS all stars, he was the big focus for the media when talking about Bayern. Same with Zalaem when Arsenal played MLS. For us that could be Hutch and Besiktas, Arfield and Burnley, Hoilett for Cardiff if they make it back to the prem. Perhaps more comparable to the examples above regarding americans would be Liam Millar with Liverpool. In the future it could be CanPL allstars vs Alphonso Davies and whichever big club he's sold to. 

Second this. Would love to see a CanPL All-star team pump Rangers. I think Celtic and the top half of the Eredivise would thoroughly handle a CanPL all-star team though.

I voted for the "club outside of Canada and US" option. I don't care at all about All-Star games, but as has been mentioned, they can make money. So I think whatever makes the most money is best, and I think that game makes the most money.

@Ansem's idea about a friendly weekend where all the clubs play a home game against an out of league club is good though. I don't like it for MLS, but for a league just starting out that is going to have to find a way to make some money, I'm all for it. I wouldn't even be against going to a game like that.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I really like @Ansem's idea more than a singular friendly. Although one might argue that an allstar game seems more of an event, and has a better chance at getting on TSN or Sportsnet, which would provide the league with more coverage and buzz. But Imagine a big Scottish team playing in Halifax, Montpellier or Marseille playing in QC, an Icelandic team playing against FC Edmonton... ;) . It could be a really fun weekend for the league and a great marketing tool. Have every team play a friendly against a recognizable foreign side (only really need 1 or 2 big, big teams) and spread out the games between Friday night and Sunday afternoon and you could have a really nice peice of content that the TV companies would love to have mid summer.  

The only problem is it might be tough for every team to land a marquee friendly every year. You would need a headlining team for sure and some smaller but recognizable clubs. An AC milan or Liverpool might headline one year and have a Celtic/Rangers be the b game, and then smaller EPL or historically big/recent prem Championship clubs like Aston Villa or Fullham, or big teir 2 clubs like Anderlect or FC Kobenhavn fill out the rest of the roster. That would be good for TV and accomplishable, but might be hard to sell tickets to Calgary vs Kobenhavn though... Im basically just rambling on this at this point... just a thought. 

13 minutes ago, BradMack said:

The only problem is it might be tough for every team to land a marquee friendly every year. You would need a headlining team for sure and some smaller but recognizable clubs. An AC milan or Liverpool might headline one year and have a Celtic/Rangers be the b game, and then smaller EPL or historically big/recent prem Championship clubs like Aston Villa or Fullham, or big teir 2 clubs like Anderlect or FC Kobenhavn fill out the rest of the roster. That would be good for TV and accomplishable, but might be hard to sell tickets to Calgary vs Kobenhavn though... Im basically just rambling on this at this point... just a thought. 

I actually think the CPL should arrange tours for Euro teams. Like offer teams a game in the west and east so they can really build their  presence in Canada, cause if there's one thing the CPL has going for it it's the fact Canada is a major market. Like during a 2 week break or something book Wednesday and Sunday games for say Feyenoord, Aberdeen, Deportivo and Panathinaikos. I might say don't do it for TV and just do it as live event to sell out the place.

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I can also see it being a big risk for the league to pay up front for so many teams to come out at once, especially considering how the Eusebio Cup seems to be selling (though it now mysteriously is listed as sold out) 

Friendlies generally make a lot of money. I'm sure the Hamilton game will do fine. If you have Canadian teams involved you should be able to make a decent profit unless the CPL is drawing TFC2 levels of fans.

8 minutes ago, matty said:

Friendlies generally make a lot of money. I'm sure the Hamilton game will do fine. If you have Canadian teams involved you should be able to make a decent profit unless the CPL is drawing TFC2 levels of fans.

Hopefully. I actually really like the idea of  a "friendly week" across the entire CPL, but I would think that the league would work up to it, maybe only do it in two markets at first, to avoid a massive loss if the first iteration goes poorly. Even if friendlies generally sell well, there's always some risk the first time you do it

(I'm assuming some sort of collectivized ownership obviously) 

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Hopefully. I actually really like the idea of  a "friendly week" across the entire CPL, but I would think that the league would work up to it, maybe only do it in two markets at first, to avoid a massive loss if the first iteration goes poorly. Even if friendlies generally sell well, there's always some risk the first time you do it

(I'm assuming some sort of collectivized ownership obviously) 

Agree it would be something to build towards likely. I know I've gone on about TV a lot as well but I really do think friendlies like this should be kept to LIVE events so that there's nothing taking away from tickets selling and so that it's a little more special for fans. I honestly think the extra $100-$150k generated by the extra ticket sales would be worth it.

If they do do something like a tour with 4+ teams maybe give a cup to the team that does the best, everyone likes silverware.

I think that the friendly week(end) is a great idea. It would probably make more money than a single all-star game and money is exactly what we need. We could also cash in on when the European clubs tour North America and play in the International Champions Cup and other friendly tournaments. We could copy the ICC thing and have a bunch of low-level European Clubs playing CPL clubs all over Canada. It would probably make a good amount of money for the teams and the league.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

I think that the friendly week(end) is a great idea. It would probably make more money than a single all-star game and money is exactly what we need. We could also cash in on when the European clubs tour North America and play in the International Champions Cup and other friendly tournaments. We could copy the ICC thing and have a bunch of low-level European Clubs playing CPL clubs all over Canada. It would probably make a good amount of money for the teams and the league.

That's what I said (sort of).

THE CPL CHALLENGE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Some of the World's mot decentest clubs challenge Canada's league for the bragging rights

16096998.jpg
COMING 2018..................?

Edit: Bragging Rights was such a stupid Pay-Per-View (basically a poor man's Survivor Series a month before Survivor Series) but damnit it's awesome that Edge and Jericho (who also had Davey Boy Jr and Tyson Kidd on his team) basically were the stars of the winning teams because Canadians rock at pro wrestling

45 minutes ago, matty said:

That's what I said (sort of).

THE CPL CHALLENGE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Some of the World's mot decentest clubs challenge Canada's league for the bragging rights

16096998.jpg
COMING 2018..................?

Edit: Bragging Rights was such a stupid Pay-Per-View (basically a poor man's Survivor Series a month before Survivor Series) but damnit it's awesome that Edge and Jericho (who also had Davey Boy Jr and Tyson Kidd on his team) basically were the stars of the winning teams because Canadians rock at pro wrestling

You mean fake wrestling, right?

20 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Edit: Or maybe just an attraction to things that peaked in the mid 80s :P

Ummmmm ACTually, Wrestling peaked popularity wise in like 1998 and in ring performance wise this year (maybe, if it has reached a new level then a CANADIAN helped it reach new highs cause CANADIANS ROCK AT PRO WRESTLING)

Archived