CPL Jersey Outfitter

Chad_Impact

4 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Any idea when kits will be revealed/available?

Tommy Wheeldon Jr said Cavalry designs will be out in the next couple weeks. Not sure actual kits. York 9 are doing that launch late November which will reveal the first players, and with that I assume, the kits. I'm sure CanPL is looking at November/early December to have them ready for Christmas. All speculation at this point though.

36 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

Tommy Wheeldon Jr said Cavalry designs will be out in the next couple weeks. Not sure actual kits. York 9 are doing that launch late November which will reveal the first players, and with that I assume, the kits. I'm sure CanPL is looking at November/early December to have them ready for Christmas. All speculation at this point though.

I had heard from a source in Halifax, that kits won't be available for sale until the new year. This was a couple months ago, so maybe timelines have changed. Would be a huge miss for kits not to be available before Christmas.

2 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

I had heard from a source in Halifax, that kits won't be available for sale until the new year. This was a couple months ago, so maybe timelines have changed. Would be a huge miss for kits not to be available before Christmas.

May be available for pre-order prior to Christmas with delivery officially set early in the new year. I've seen kit reveals & delivery timelines along that sort of style before. It's not as convenient as it should be, but it still usually gets the benefit of Christmas sales, without worrying about the Christmas delivery.

Just wrap a framed copy of the order receipt page with a picture of the kit for everyone you're buying it for, and they'll get excited about it twice.

4 hours ago, tyler453 said:

It's going to be Brennan, isn't it...

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the first open tryouts in Halifax the staff were all equipped with Macron, the shirts used for scrimmaging as well. Sept 20 we had images so that was already an indicator. 

http://canpl.ca/video/brennan-paulus-impressed-with-quality-increase-on-day-2-of-halifax-trials

You might have missed page 4 of this thread.

24 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I'm guessing it's a substantial contract.

i think it could be after year one like maybe up front macron is just supplying gear (maybe at a small cost) but if certain thresholds (say average 5k a game or each team sees jersey sales over 2k a year or a tv deal is reached) are met there is a bonus of some sort and a new level of a deal

Edited by matty

8 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

No mention of how much this deal is worth  ?   ?

In the article it said “It was their biggest investment in North America up to date” 

When they say long term deal, how long 5,10 years? 

I wonder how much per season Macron will pay to be League manufacturer/kit sponsor.

For example let’s say they will give €6M Euros which translates into $9M Canadian Dollars 

Do the 9 Million go to the League or divided among the 7/8 clubs in 2019 etc or half and half (4.5M for CPL) & (4.5M For Clubs)

I think with the creation of the CSB and recent aquasitions such as Stadium Digital and others will increase the probability to break even in the formative years

Must say, impressed with how things are going ??

Edited by Thomas

7 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

In the article it said “It was their biggest investment in North America up to date” ...

Noticed this too and this is the exciting part. While I don't think Macron are paying an arm and leg for the CPL deal, I do think this was a mega serious move for them to break into the North American market and that's the exciting part. They saw a chance for something big and I think they're using this to make a statement, similar to how the CPL is hoping to.

I hope Macron are with CPL how New Balance was to NLL and not afraid to roll with the punches. The scale of this project makes me think they are.

Edited by matty

I would suggest this would be a question that should be asked at the next biweekly discussion with Clanachan.  Not exact dollars, but more the structure of the deal. ie is it just kit/supplies, or is there money involved and possibly how that's determined (flat fee, per sale, etc).

On 9/29/2018 at 6:47 PM, Metroimpact said:

My guess is that it is just X dollars worth of equipment to the league/clubs and Y dollars for every jersey sold. 

...probably with a minimum sales threshold before revenues start flowing as I have seen it claimed that can be an issue that makes merchandise sales not worth pursuing on replica kit for smaller clubs in a Scottish context. For a league like CanPL that shouldn't be an issue as this is info I heard related to semi-professional clubs in a regional league format that normally have about 250 spectators on a good day where there is a potential market for the jerseys but not a huge one.

https://theathletic.com/576306/2018/10/09/canadian-premier-league-kit-partnership-reveals-insight-into-direction-of-new-league/

Canadian Premier League kit partnership reveals insight into direction of new league

Although the first Canadian Premier League kit partnership was signed outside of Bologna, Italy, CPL commissioner David Clanachan believes the deal was actually cemented months earlier in Toronto.

At the start of 2018, sportswear companies from around the world began expressing interest in providing the kits for the seven-team league. The CPL is set to begin in the spring.

But only Macron, who currently outfit five Serie A teams and two UEFA Champions League teams, Club Brugge and Red Star Belgrade, took it upon themselves to fly their CEO, Gianluca Pavanello, to Toronto, unprompted, to meet with CPL representatives.

It was then that Clanachan realized the Italian company understood the vision of the CPL better than their competitors. The CPL signed a six-year deal with Macron late in September.

“If you’ve been in business, you know there are people that can promise you the sun, the moon and the stars,” Clanachan said. “There’s very few people that can deliver that.”

In that first meeting, Pavanello sold Clanachan on Macron’s mission. They certainly don’t have the brand recognition of Adidas or Nike, but they pride themselves on their unique, bespoke kits. Macron currently provides sportswear for well over 50 soccer clubs across Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Belgian leagues, as well as dozens more across Europe, Asia and Australia.

And nearly all of the kits look different from others.

That approach spoke to Clanachan, who admits the CPL is trying to differentiate themselves from their competitors. One of the most pressing questions surrounding CPL teams, for example, is how they will compete with established, higher profile Canadian soccer teams such as Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps.

In signing with a company known for bespoke uniforms, Clanachan believes the league is taking early steps to increase awareness of the league’s brand identity.

“If you follow anything we’ve done with the Canadian Premier League, you’ll know that we are a group of storytellers,” said Clanachan. “Most soccer supporters are. They’re good storytellers. At our league, there’s an art to the story. When you build something, from the ground up, at the local level, we like to say we’re fuelling a movement. And to do that, you have to stand out.”

Soccer kits are big business. CNBC estimated that Serie A side Juventus sold $60 million (US) worth of Cristiano Ronaldo kits within 24 hours of his Juventus shirt being released to the public this summer. Barcelona recently signed a 10-year kit deal with Nike that will pay the club approximately $130 million (US) per season for the next nine years.

While the CPL doesn’t expect to enter the same stratosphere as those figures, Clanachan does understand why fans want to shell out big cash for club kits. Most soccer clubs release a new home and away kit every season, with many of the world’s more popular clubs also releasing a third kit.

“They steep themselves in the identity of the club,” Clanachan said of soccer fans.

To ensure that there was no groupthink in Macron’s designs, Clanachan surprised the company on his most recent visit to Italy by asking them to place all their designs side by side on one overhead slide.

When he saw all 14 kits (Each CPL team will have one home and one away kit in the first season) side by side, he knew the league had made the right choice.

“They knocked it out of the park,” said Clanachan.

Kit aficionados may appreciate Clanachan’s excitement over the individuality Macron bring to their designs. The world’s major kit providers are renowned for their reach but also for their dependence on template kits that simply change a colour here or there. Footy Headlines, one of the world’s leading soccer kit websites, has noted that 49 different teams around the world are wearing the Condivo kit template by Adidas for the 2018-19 season.

Clanachan does not want the league’s kits and by extension, the league itself, to be lumped in with any other teams or leagues around the world. So when Macron pitched him on designing bespoke kits for the entire league, his eyes lit up.

“Bespoke does not mean changing the colour of the collar,” said Clanachan.

Clanachan knows that in a crowded sports landscape, the CPL only gets one chance to brand themselves as an alternative to some of the more established sports leagues across Canada in their inaugural season.

“It’s a blank canvas,” said Clanachan. “You’re not being compared to anyone else prior to. You set the bar. You set the standards.”

While he could not provide a specific date for initial kit release, Clanachan assured that the kits would be released “well in advance of the season starting.”

But the question remains: does the league really expect Canadian soccer fans to begin shelling out for Macon CPL kits en masse and in turn, support the league? Not a single roster player has been named with the league set to begin in approximately six months. So much of how the CPL will operate in terms of salary structure, scheduling, travel demands and roster construction, including local player quotas, is still unclear.

Scott Mitchell, CEO of Canadian Soccer Business, finds hope for the league’s future in the ticket drives currently ongoing across the league.

Mitchell, one of the founders of the CPL, runs the league’s corporate partnerships. A veteran of the ticketing business, Mitchell is bullish on interest in the league’s inaugural season. He believes some CPL clubs will average 10-12,000 spectators per match, with others in smaller facilities selling out stadiums with approximately 6,000 spectators.

“We’re not hoping, or wishing,” said Mitchell. “We’re seeing the results with the membership drives.”

And he believes strong kit sales could follow.

“You’re seeing an underlying thirst to see something positive for Canadian soccer,” said Mitchell.

Clanachan added that a number of CPL clubs plan to include an authentic Macron home team kit with initial season ticket packages and that CPL kits sold in stores will be identical to what players wear.

There’s a long way to go for CPL clubs to be considered in the same breath as any Champions League team. But in trying to set themselves apart with bespoke designs and a commitment to be different from their competitors, Clanachan believes the league is moving in the right direction.

“It’s a very positive vote for the future of soccer in Canada,” said Clanachan.

“I’m trying to figure out how I can buy 14 different kits.”

10F58484-9BFC-4865-B7E3-15722B127D24.jpeg