CPL Jersey Outfitter

Chad_Impact

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Like i said esports are creating a channel and making tv deals to make money and of course wwe is losing a lot of money partly thanks to running a streaming service. Playing a long game is fine but when you have 20+ years ahead of you where cable will be king.....

Fair enough. Let's let the thread get back to the topic

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Seems like it. I was just interested in seeing what they've done in the past. Its an extremely slow call day...eight hours in and probably 30 minutes worth of actual work ?

Same

Dryworld had qpr, watford, several brazilian teams and an indian team and lost them all in less than a year.

Inaria has fce

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, matty said:

Cordcutting has been on the decline (slowed by more than 25% in less than a year) and cable subs are on the rise in canada. Also the tv deal might not make them money but it allows them to make a great deal more money than streams possibly could (hence why esports is making the move).

I agree they have to counter but small markets and no tv likely won't work. Nor will semi pro

According to CBC cord cutting hit a record high and is expected to increase http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord-cutting-convergence-group-1.4075486 http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tv-cord-cutting-2016-1.4027661

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Until they realised they were wrong http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord-cutting-mario-mota-1.4246518 (22% not 25% my bad)

5 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Fair but at that pace it will still be more cutters than 2 years ago, that's still a bad rate, being not as bad as a record is not a good number. 

I've read a fair bit about it and most don't seem to think cordcutting will kill cable for decades as cable and internet are packaged in such a way that there cable is mostly stable.

The biggest concern held by media and cable companies is the growing trend of cord-cutting. But these concerns may be overblown, at least according to a new Deloitte study.

Deloitte's 11th Annual "Digital Democracy Survey" found that the percentage of American homes that pay for TV services has remained relatively stable over the years, according to a CNBC report.

The survey consists of 2,121 consumers and found that Americans are holding on to their TV packages — despite the fact that it's easier to cut the cord today than ever before — because TV is often bundled with an Internet subscription service.

The percentage of households who subscribe to at least one streaming provider has risen from 31 percent in 2012 to 49 percent in 2016. Yet at the same time, the percentage of households who also pay for a TV service fell just 2 percent, from 76 percent in 2012 to 74 percent in 2016.

https://www.benzinga.com/media/cnbc/17/03/9202594/the-cord-cutting-trend-is-a-myth-new-survey-finds

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, matty said:

I've read a fair bit about it and most don't seem to think cordcutting will kill cable for decades as cable and internet are packaged in such a way that there cable is mostly stable.

The biggest concern held by media and cable companies is the growing trend of cord-cutting. But these concerns may be overblown, at least according to a new Deloitte study.

Deloitte's 11th Annual "Digital Democracy Survey" found that the percentage of American homes that pay for TV services has remained relatively stable over the years, according to a CNBC report.

The survey consists of 2,121 consumers and found that Americans are holding on to their TV packages — despite the fact that it's easier to cut the cord today than ever before — because TV is often bundled with an Internet subscription service.

The percentage of households who subscribe to at least one streaming provider has risen from 31 percent in 2012 to 49 percent in 2016. Yet at the same time, the percentage of households who also pay for a TV service fell just 2 percent, from 76 percent in 2012 to 74 percent in 2016.

https://www.benzinga.com/media/cnbc/17/03/9202594/the-cord-cutting-trend-is-a-myth-new-survey-finds

I'd say any drop in subscriber numbers when the market size is increasing a failure(not necessarily a fatal one but one nonetheless) but there's also the fact young people are watching way less TVhttp://www.marketingcharts.com/featured-24817 and they are way important for advertising. There's also more channels than before so the viewership is more spread out. 

Just now, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I'd say any drop in subscriber numbers when the market size is increasing a failure(not necessarily a fatal one but one nonetheless) but there's also the fact young people are watching way less TVhttp://www.marketingcharts.com/featured-24817 and they are way important for advertising. There's also more channels than before so the viewership is more spread out. 

Viewership is spread out over general things but sports is still sports. There's still only a handful of big channels. Young people (millenials) don't watch sports in general right now (unless it's esports) and those that do still prefer watching it on TV even to streaming. While 18-35 would go for a sports streaming service, the other demos (aka the bigger ones) are less game.

Also companies are spending more on advertising to older people than ever before

19 minutes ago, matty said:

Viewership is spread out over general things but sports is still sports. There's still only a handful of big channels. Young people (millenials) don't watch sports in general right now (unless it's esports) and those that do still prefer watching it on TV even to streaming. While 18-35 would go for a sports streaming service, the other demos (aka the bigger ones) are less game.

Also companies are spending more on advertising to older people than ever before

I'm not saying you're wrong about the last part but I'm more than willing to bet that's because that's who's watching tv and that overall spending is still towards younger people. Plus every year the amount of people who prefer or are okay with streaming gets bigger. 

Just now, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I'm not saying you're wrong about the last part but I'm more than willing to bet that's because that's who's watching tv and that overall spending is still towards younger people. Plus every year the amount of people who prefer or are okay with streaming gets bigger. 

Overall spending seems to b shifting (it's slowly coming out that online ads are mostly bunk) but it doesn't change the desire for products to be on TV and have 50k people seeing a logo on a jersey on a TV rather than 7k on a stream. TV also has the advantage of public places which streaming is unlikely to have anytime soon. We're still a long way off TV not being king. 

36 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I was wondering if anybody knew how the National Lacrosse League does things. They seem to have a viable structure with few teams spread over a wide geographic area. Is there something about the way they do things that CPL could learn from?

NLL does a lot of things to get by including not paying too much for talent, being very conservative with expansion and having a monopoly on a sport that has a passionate fanbase that's lead Twitter and Under Armour to partner with them. They also lucked into being founded by New Balance (who are still heavily involved via Warrior).

CPL should take a lot of notes from NLL, especially since Lee Genier is involved, but it seems to not be doing so as much as one would think as we're seeing stadiums being built, higher salaries being talked about and lots of quick expansion. The only thing missing is TV which as I've said is likely something they're on the hunt for.

Looking back at the NLL and New Balance relationship (because this thread is about kits), I think having the right partner here is key. Even if not a big brand (New Balance wasn't the household name it is today in 1987) the partner needs to be willing and able to handle supply long term and possible take the bumps the league takes almost as if it's a co-investor. At the end of the day merch is going to be a big part of this league.

Edited by matty

On 16/09/2017 at 9:06 PM, Chad_Impact said:

The league will be trying to sell itself as a real D1 league, a big brand's gear will help that image. 

Other than MLS, I can't think of another league that makes all teams use the same kit manufacturer.  MLS is doing a lot of things right, but to me, that makes it seem a bit more mickey mouse than it should.

On 19/09/2017 at 8:31 PM, SuperCanuck said:

Other than MLS, I can't think of another league that makes all teams use the same kit manufacturer.  MLS is doing a lot of things right, but to me, that makes it seem a bit more mickey mouse than it should.

Crazy that MLS's cousins A-League and ISL let everyone have different jerseys.

Honestly I think if FCE are interested in the league cause everyone is pretty independent, I think we will see multiple companies doing jerseys.