CPL Jersey Outfitter

Chad_Impact

Valour Away is my favourite.

Halifax and Pacific away are too close to each other, especially given they have the same sponsor. But that is basically my only complaint. Next closest thing to a complaint is the camo for Cavalry, but that's probably just cause I'm descended from draft dodgers.

When I first saw the York 9 jerseys I thought the green majority one was the home. Happy to see the white one with the green stripes is the home, because I like it better and I prefer to buy home jerseys for my home teams. It's one of the better ones in my opinion, despite me not being much of a green guy.

Happy with the jerseys, and they all feel like they have been given specific attention. Well done Macron!

Ours is very polarizing as I think I've mentioned. I see Canadians loving it, but some of my English friends think otherwise. Maybe cos they prefer a more traditional style. Probably the same people who hated the Nigeria world cup kit, which is the same deal.

I tweeted this out, but I'll go again.

Home kits

7. Halifax Wanderers

6. Cavalry FC

5. Pacific FC

4. Valour FC

3. FC Edmonton

2. York 9

1. Forge FC

Away kits

7. Forge FC

6. Pacific FC

5. FC Edmonton

4. Halifax

3. York 9

2. Cavalry FC

1. Valour FC

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I kind of understand the fact that One Soccer and Macron are sponsors, maybe it’s less about the money and more about brand building.

Looks like a placeholder more than anything else when those two are involved and that CSB only got three of the seven corporate sponsors they were anticipating in this context. If they had a game of the week on TSN and Sportsnet it would probably have been easier for them to push this. Surprised York 9 wouldn't have their owner's construction company as the shirt sponsor. Local sponsors are often the way to go on this when you don't have a high profile in national media terms.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

-The key for any kits, historically, is that the main home jersey should reflect the club colours and the crest. Fans should want to predominantly purchase their team's home jersey, as it is closest to the identity of the team. 

Away is really second kit. It is there as a marketing option, and to avoid colour conflict when away, if necessary. There is no reason to wear the away shirt if you prefer to market your home shirt vs. a rival in their stadium.

Usually, the shirt supplier does the job of creating this "narrative", deciding which shirt is worn when and where, though most usually respecting the home standard.

-Then, there is always, effectively, two more shirts, which are the keeper's. Cavalry could have a black, and then a yellow, for example (they all could do yellow in fact). Saying this as eventually you can produce that keeper shirt and sell it as an option. I wear a black TFC shirt that was given me by a former keeper, I don't feel like a standard TFC supporter when wearing it, but it is a touch of Canadian soccer pride. 

-Kits change, the standard is to do so each season. If Macron feels that sales justify this, they might make tweaks starting year 2, because some fans actually do renew purchases, or respond to a change, with every season. So I think that Macron will also want to reflect on sales and popularity, and no kit, however deficient, has to be taken as a permanent condition.

-Here's a good question: if you were a tourist to any of the CPL cities (including Greater TO, or say north TO), or say a student at a university there, or someone working there on a short contracct and wanting to buy a "souvenir" for a kid or sibling, which shirt would be most successful for that market? I think Hamilton is well poised. Edmonton too because the name actually appears. HFX because the name is also there. 

If you want a memento of Winnipeg, you may not buy a Valour shirt as the city is not branded on it. Same with Pacific and Victoria. For this reason, I think that shirts like these should say the city's name somewhere,  like "Valour of Winnipeg", or the VanIsle phrase used by Pacific. This bolsters sales perspectives beyond the actual fan base.

The only thing I am really surprised about is everyone's positive reaction to the Y9 home kit.  To me it looks like it wouldn't be out of place in one of those early MLS photos.  Maybe it will grow on me, but not a fan at this point.

I like the rest.  It is a bit odd that the two coastal teams would have jerseys that somewhat mirror each other.    I get that there are differences, but as @SuperCanuck pointed out...

https://content.invisioncic.com/r248504/monthly_2019_04/1859795890_ScreenShot2019-04-04at5_14_32PM.png.8be5e76f4c13b6eb7b4b5098e1bd40c9.png

...that is pretty damn close for a 7 team league.  And in the group pic, the colours don't look even closer together than in the above composite.  Not going to say anything to Marcus Haber though.  Jesus he looks like one big hombre in that picture. 

Overall, it is sort of like the OneSoccer announcement - it may or may not be absolutely ideal, but I am just glad to have more concrete info and images coming out in the build up to launch.  Plus it is unrealistic to expect 14 out of 14 to be home runs. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

I have a few thoughts on the kits (overall very pleased with the designs and the subtleties for each, wish there were greater variety in sponsors), but my big concern is this: why can't I seem to find a link to actually order them? We're 22 days aways from kick-off and I want to be able to order a Wanderers jersey in time to receive it before the inaugural match in Hamilton.

6 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I have a few thoughts on the kits (overall very pleased with the designs and the subtleties for each, wish there were greater variety in sponsors), but my big concern is this: why can't I seem to find a link to actually order them? We're 22 days aways from kick-off and I want to be able to order a Wanderers jersey in time to receive it before the inaugural match in Hamilton.

There doesn't seem to be a link from the CanPL website but they were posting the online shop URL on twitter. A definite oversight.

https://shop.canpl.ca/

Been checking the CPL site constantly since midnight lmao, thanks for posting the shop.canpl.ca link. I must say one thing quickly, where are those beautiful jackets at?? That's what I'm ready to splash the cash on at this point more so than the jerseys.

I have to say, I have yet to meet one person who didn't like the Nigeria WC jerseys, everybody I know absolutely loved it. I don't think the York9 pea soup green colour is that aesthetically pleasing for the general public though, but I'm down with it.

York 9 and Cavalry home kits definitely stand out as winners, although all are good.  Tons of positive feedback online from fans. 

The York 9 kit is in a class with the Nigeria and Jamaica kits.  Speaking of the Jamaican kits.. they were made by Umbro on the first try - meanwhile they gave us f all for 8 years.

Its really tough and almost impossible to do something unique without being corny.  The York 9 kit nails it because it’s not far out and it matches their crest and the whole 9 stripes thing they’re going for.  Like @Unnamed Trialist said about kits matching crests I’d definitely agree and say most kits nailed it.

Pacific FC for example.. that’s a brand.  Purple and teal together is unique and makes me think of that team and Vancouver island.  Just like you think Barcelona when you see their colours because it’s unique to them. 

Edited by Keegan

Just now, Keegan said:

York 9 and Cavalry home kits definitely stand out as winners, although all are good.  Tons of positive feedback online from fans. 

The York 9 kit is in a class with the Nigeria and Jamaica kits.  Speaking of the Jamaican kits.. they were made by Umbro on the first try - meanwhile they gave us f all for 8 years.

Yup - very modern kit who experiments with new things. Nigeria is the same deal, as I mentioned earlier.

17 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

I was fine with the PFC home kit until seeing the hi-res, the trident and VW make it too busy.

You have an odd definition of "too busy". I was in the PFC Store for the unveiling yesterday and in the crappy lighting I didn't even notice the trident of the two-tones of purple on the home jersey. It would be difficult to make a soccer jersey any more plain.

As for the sponsor logo, I don't see how an iconic, simple brand logo can be considered busy.

15 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Valour had the best (surprise !)

You must be a Man United fan:

compare.jpg

Edited by ted
spelling and grammar issues galore!

4 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So... the sizing is pissing me off. I’ll need to buy a XXXL to match an American XL, and surprise surprise... there’s no 3XL in stock! Wtf?!

Season ticket holders here in Victoria got first dibs at ordering last week as part of our season ticket (without seeing the jerseys) and the sizing chart says I need a 4XL or 5XL when I usually fit a Canadian XL comfortably.