CPL Jersey Outfitter

Chad_Impact

With the CPL coming together, I've been thinking about whether the league will go with an MLS/Addidas style deal or one where the teams find an outfitter themselves. I personally like a league with more variety of brands and styles, but if the league chooses one, I think it's important to make the right choice. The league will need the jerseys and team gear to not just look good on the field, but on the streets, pubs, schools, and basically, anywhere fans wear them. It's going to be an important part of creating a culture around this league. I think Nike or New Balance would be best for this.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer a league-wide outfitter or teams having their own? Do you prefer any brands? 

5 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

The league will be trying to sell itself as a real D1 league,...

That's the way it looked until Paul Beirne started talking on podcasts about a national TV deal not being part of their business plan and the goal being to have something that is doable in markets as small as 200k with 4500-6000 mentioned on crowds (i.e. strong CHL franchise type numbers) so they have plenty of scope for growth which would not be the case if they wound up needing to have 20,000 plus spectators to make the finances work given the limited number of markets that are likely to ever sustain that. My guess would be that they probably would go for a league wide deal on jerseys once all the pieces fall neatly into place, but it probably wouldn't be all that lucrative initially unless/until they get on television or streaming services with significant ratings and there is a proven market for replica jersey sales which may take a while in the probable absence of Beckham, Blanco, Pirlo and Schweinsteiger type DP signings.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's the way it looked until Paul Beirne started talking on podcasts about a national TV deal not being part of their business plan and the goal being to have something that is doable in markets as small as 200k with 4500-6000 mentioned on crowds (i.e. strong CHL franchise type numbers) so they have plenty of scope for growth which would not be the case if they wound up needing to have 20,000 plus spectators to make the finances work given the limited number of markets that are likely to ever sustain that.

Yea that vision isn't a good plan for survival if they're going coast to coast

Honestly, I'd rather see each club allowed to pursue its own jersey and kit manufacturer. If a club in Québec did NOT pick Louis Garneau, that already dominates the cycling, running, Track and tennis markets (I have a Garneau jersey and bike), I'd be shocked. They sell well, and already have a deep infrastructure in place with 20+ stores in the province. Tapping into that market is critical. 

I care more about long term financial success, and finding existing corporate partners with inherent benefits than I do about what is 'big league soccer'. 

Also, whomever manufactures the Impact's socks and jerseys is a terrible manufacturer, and shouldn't be used. Ever. 

Edited by ChrisinOrleans
Changed 'fabricator' to manufacturer.

1 minute ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, I'd rather see each club allowed to pursue its own jersey and kit sponsor. If a club in Québec did NOT pick Louis Garneau, that already dominates the cycling, running, Track and tennis markets (I have a Garneau jersey and bike), I'd be shocked. They sell well, and already have a deep infrastructure in place with 20+ stores in the province. Tapping into that market is critical.

Opus bikes are better

2 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, I love my Garneau, but the best x-country bike I've ever owned was made by DeVinci in Chicoutimi, Québec. That thing took the trails of Parc Gatineau better than my Garneau, and was slightly cheaper. Honestly, I don't know why I 'upgraded'. 

A good salesman got you to upgrade. Speaking of which.....wanna buy an opus....or a kona?

44 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea that vision isn't a good plan for survival if they're going coast to coast

Think there's a niche in Canada waiting to be filled for a summer sports league to provide live sports entertainment in markets that are seen as being too small for CFL expansion given minor league baseball usually isn't much of a factor. The CFL painted themselves into a corner in future expansion terms by creating a sport that needed 20,000 to work. So although it's not what a lot of people that have been following events expect/want:

I think Paul Beirne is onto something if he can persuade the people with the cash that it's the way to go. The CHL seems to do OK following that kind of strategy in the absence of a huge national TV contract, lucrative jersey sale contracts or a hockey version of SUM.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think there's a niche in Canada waiting to be filled for a summer sports league to provide live sports entertainment in markets that are seen as being too small for CFL expansion given minor league baseball usually isn't much of a factor. The CFL painted themselves into a corner by creating a sport that needed 20,000 to work. So although it's not what a lot of people that have been following events expect/want:

I think Paul Beirne is onto something if he can persuade the people with the cash that it's the way to go. The CHL seems to do OK following that kind of strategy in the absence of a huge national TV contract, lucrative jersey sale contracts or a hockey version of SUM.

Chl is limited in coast to coast action and isn't pro.

The model bernie has hinted at publically will not survive without tv and the dollars it can help bring in and betting on small cities to regularly SELL 4k tickets in fringe sport, without tv or star power is a great risk that has more going against it than for it.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Chl is limited in coast to coast action and isn't pro.

The model bernie has hinted at publically will not survive without tv and the dollars it can help bring in and betting on small cities to regularly SELL 4k tickets in fringe sport, without tv or star power is a great risk that has more going against it than for it.

Pretty sure explicitly said that the model doesn't depend on a TV contract 

That's not to say that I buy the CHL-eque narrative, I think it's pretty clear that that's not what they are going for initially 

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Pretty sure explicitly said that the model doesn't depend on a TV contract 

That's not to say that I buy the CHL-eque narrative, I think it's pretty clear that that's not what they are going for initially 

I know but I'm sure they're looking for a tv deal as soon as possible because top tier sports in north america need tv to survive. I believe bernie did say the tv thing was short term.

You can't live on gates and you can't live on streams yet.

A big issue is beirne is selling 2 different cpls. One is fully pro and the other is closer to semipro

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, matty said:

I know but I'm sure they're looking for a tv deal as soon as possible...

It sounded to me like they see webstreams as the way ahead due to changes in the landscape of sports broadcasting that have arisen from cord cutting especially among people under 50, and although they certainly won't say no to a lucrative TV deal, it definitely sounded like they are not counting on having one. People online and in blogs usually try to visualize what they are going to try to do by using MLS as the template, but given MLS has the three largest markets taken and the overall population of Canada is 10% or so of what MLS has available to it, that's probably not the best parallel to make. They will need to come up with a specifically made in Canada approach to get it to work and the CHL is not a bad place to look for pointers on how to do that.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It sounded to me like they see webstreams as the way ahead due to changes in the lanscape of sports broadcasting that have arisen from cord cutting especially among people under 50, and although they certainly won't say no to a lucrative TV deal, it definitely sounded like they are not counting on having one. People try to understand what they are going to try to do by using MLS as the template, but given MLS has the three largest markets taken and the overall population of Canada is 10% or so of what MLS has available to it, that's probably not the best parallel to make. They will need to come up with a specifically made in Canada approach to get it to work and the CHL is not a bad place to look for pointers on how to do that.

Cordcutting has been on the decline (slowed by more than 25% in less than a year) and cable subs are on the rise in canada. Also the tv deal might not make them money but it allows them to make a great deal more money than streams possibly could (hence why esports is making the move).

I agree they have to counter but small markets and no tv likely won't work. Nor will semi pro

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I know but I'm sure they're looking for a tv deal as soon as possible because top tier sports in north america need tv to survive. I believe bernie did say the tv thing was short term.

You can't live on gates and you can't live on streams yet.

A big issue is beirne is selling 2 different cpls. One is fully pro and the other is closer to semipro

Honestly, I think they are probably looking long and hard about streaming. With comments about thinking about a post-cable media landscape, a second to none digital platform, etc, to me that seems like Plan A. 

Obviously things could change and maybe it's just Beirne managing expectations, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see streaming long term 

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Honestly, I think they are probably looking long and hard about streaming. With comments about thinking about a post-cable media landscape, a second to none digital platform, etc, to me that seems like Plan A. 

Obviously things could change and maybe it's just Beirne managing expectations, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see streaming long term 

Like i said esports are creating a channel and making tv deals to make money and of course wwe is losing a lot of money partly thanks to running a streaming service. Playing a long game is fine but when you have 20+ years ahead of you where cable will be king.....