CANWNT's next captain

Jith12

Christine Sinclair is still playing well and is determined to finish the cycle, so no new captain until around 2020 . I voted "other".  After 2020,  I think the captain should be Jessie Fleming, who  will be about 22 or 23 years old.  She joined the CANWNT in 2013 as very level-headed  mature 15 year old. Faced the media and answered tough questions during youth national team losses in 2014. Ashley Lawrence would be my second pick. Unsure about Sophie Schmidt, by 2020  she'll be 32-33 years old and could be playing reduced minutes coming off the bench.

On 12/09/2017 at 1:33 PM, tc-in-bc said:

Christine Sinclair is still playing well and is determined to finish the cycle, so no new captain until around 2020 . I voted "other".  After 2020,  I think the captain should be Jessie Fleming, who  will be about 22 or 23 years old.  She joined the CANWNT in 2013 as very level-headed  mature 15 year old. Faced the media and answered tough questions during youth national team losses in 2014. Ashley Lawrence would be my second pick. Unsure about Sophie Schmidt, by 2020  she'll be 32-33 years old and could be playing reduced minutes coming off the bench.

I completely agree with you on that front. I forgot to consider that Sinclair will be around for the rest of the cycle. That being said, I'm somewhat surprised about the 6 "other" votes. Are these all for Fleming or for other players?

On 9/13/2017 at 3:14 PM, Jith12 said:

I completely agree with you on that front. I forgot to consider that Sinclair will be around for the rest of the cycle. That being said, I'm somewhat surprised about the 6 "other" votes. Are these all for Fleming or for other players?

Mine is the 8th.  It is for Fleming.

12 hours ago, anotherlovatic said:

Even though I voted for other (Fleming), I think that it depends when Sinclair retires. If Sinclair retires earlier than expected (2020), then it might be given to Schmidt for a few more years, before heading to Fleming.

I like the idea of giving the captaincy to Schmidt if there is a transition period where Fleming might still not be experienced enough to take on the role.

I think Fleming and Beckie need to be options.  Honestly, some of those listed will be trying to hang on to a spot or gone when Sinc retires.  I think that eliminates Matheson, Chapman, Scott and Schmidt.  I also think its possible a new wave of players creates an option.  I'm not sure there is a standout yet because of age differences but Fleming and Lawrence seem possible.

31 minutes ago, nstarsfan said:

I think Fleming and Beckie need to be options.  Honestly, some of those listed will be trying to hang on to a spot or gone when Sinc retires.  I think that eliminates Matheson, Chapman, Scott and Schmidt.  I also think its possible a new wave of players creates an option.  I'm not sure there is a standout yet because of age differences but Fleming and Lawrence seem possible.

Agreed. Only time will tell who the frontrunner for the armband is.

Archived