Jump to content

James Pantemis


Grizzly
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Two mistakes, but played well otherwise.  Bad give away when he had loads of time and space, and dangerous tackle in the box which could easily have been a PK at the end of the game.  I feel the only reason they didn't give it was that technically, the extra time had run down.

Edit: I could be wrong, seems the player fouled was offside on the build-up, so the PK would never have been given.  

Edited by costarg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Two mistakes, but played well otherwise.  Bad give away when he had loads of time and space, and dangerous tackle in the box which could easily have been a PK at the end of the game.  I feel the only reason they didn't give it was that technically, the extra time had run down.

So basically picking up where he left off in OQ.   That is a mistake that I really hate to see because it is so utterly unnecessary.  Just play the ball early when you aren’t under pressure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope that with more playing time he can weed out those mistakes with his distribution with his feet.  When I watched him during the Olympic Qualifying, I actually thought he was pretty good with his feet other than the terrible give away he made that led to the goal.  All that being said, I have watched a lot of the Euros and have seen many a keeper give the ball away and some even top keepers like Pickford do it at least once a match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Colliedor said:

He's a good shot stopper. It's when the ball is at his feet things get scary. The same during the Olympic qualifiers. He really needs to work on his distribution and decision making. He puts his team in bad spots way too many times.

Do we have any young goalie in our system who is good at distribution / ball at feet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Do we have any young goalie in our system who is good at distribution / ball at feet?

I don’t even need keepers to be good distributors.  I need them to not dick around with the ball at their feet when they have a striker racing towards them and a high press happening.  It isn’t that Pantemis mis-hit a few passes.  It is that he had a number of times where he would almost (or did) turn the ball over in very dangerous positions.  There are times when you just need to put your foot through it.  I don’t care if it is a pinpoint pass - I just don’t want to see us give away possession near our 18 yard box.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t even need keepers to be good distributors.  I need them to not dick around with the ball at their feet when they have a striker racing towards them and a high press happening.  It isn’t that Pantemis mis-hit a few passes.  It is that he had a number of times where he would almost (or did) turn the ball over in very dangerous positions.  There are times when you just need to put your foot through it.  I don’t care if it is a pinpoint pass - I just don’t want to see us give away possession near our 18 yard box.  

Bingo!  I have serious issues with keepers these days timing their clearances for a split second before a rushing attacker gets to their feet.  It's purely a psyche thing, and totally unnecessary.  High price to pay for playing a stupid mind game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Bingo!  I have serious issues with keepers these days timing their clearances for a split second before a rushing attacker gets to their feet.  It's purely a psyche thing, and totally unnecessary.  High price to pay for playing a stupid mind game.  

It's brutal. And it may just be me but our keepers (Borjan and Pantemis) seem to do it more than our opponents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, costarg said:

Bingo!  I have serious issues with keepers these days timing their clearances for a split second before a rushing attacker gets to their feet.  It's purely a psyche thing, and totally unnecessary.  High price to pay for playing a stupid mind game.  

As predicted by all….. 15 min in, Pantemis taking his sweet ass time with the ball at his feet, rushing attacker takes it right off him for the easiest goal of his career. He needs to stop trying to act cool, we ain’t in high school kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, costarg said:

As predicted by all….. 15 min in, Pantemis taking his sweet ass time with the ball at his feet, rushing attacker takes it right off him for the easiest goal of his career. He needs to stop trying to act cool, we ain’t in high school kid.

Will keep happening due to his lack of experience and his lack of judgment.

He won’t have a long stint as the MTL GK, too many up and coming in the Can PL and in their academy, would like to see Breza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, costarg said:

As predicted by all….. 15 min in, Pantemis taking his sweet ass time with the ball at his feet, rushing attacker takes it right off him for the easiest goal of his career. He needs to stop trying to act cool, we ain’t in high school kid.

I see another Canadian GK has been infected with Borjan-itis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I see another Canadian GK has been infected with Borjan-itis

But in fact that did not happen with Borjan, he was backtracking to give himself space when receiving, and Godinho hit a very weak ball to him. I rewatched those highlights and to be honest, that was a tad unlucky for Godinho, and for Borjan not getting to it regardless. Then Godinho brainfarted on the penalty. We lost to Haiti because of our own dumb errors that day. 

Truth is, a keeper can only do this a couple times in a career. It can happen, but can't happen as a commonplace. I recall Busquets' father, Carles, did this in twice in one game, in goal for Barça vs Groningen in what I think was a preseason friendly, First, receiving the ball on a slow packpass from a sharp angle and letting it get by dumbly as the striker came in for the tap in. And then one  where he literally scooped a week bouncing cross into his own goal. Check out the first minute below.

So I do agree that if Pantemis or any keeper has this problem, it will stunt their career. I can't happen yearly. Not even once every 100 games. 3-5 per pro career in official matches I'd say would be about the max.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the 15min highlights on the MLS website it looks like he made one nice save on a breakaway to atone for his earlier error and didn't have much chance on the other 3 goals. As might be expected in a 5-4 match some brutal defending by both sides, with another Rudy Camacho special on Cincinnati's final goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing that really bugs me (and I am sure I am repeating myself) is just how utterly unnecessary those types of keeper mistakes are.  There is no reason whatsoever for them to happen.  They occur because you either wait way too long to make a clearing kick (that you could have just made earlier), or you try to hotdog with the ball against a guy who is most always faster and has better footwork skills.  For me, that is the most enraging part - there is no need for them to happen whatsoever.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...