NASL demoted to division 3

Rheo

13 minutes ago, ted said:

Holy Crap!  This is huge news. 

It has implications for CanPL does it not? Something about escape clauses and Edmonton? 

The numbers are fuzzy in my head (I think it was a Cosmos Country podcast over a year ago), but I seem to remember the exit fees for NASL were in the millions if 1) NASL was at least Division II and 2) NASL had at least 8 teams. If those conditions weren't met, it was something paltry, I think less than 100k

It was reported last year that some teams stayed in NASL for the sole fact that they were playing chicken hoping that someone else would be the one to pay the high price to leave, leaving 7 teams remaining able to leave on the cheap, but no one made the first move

All of the above I think was from the Cosmos Country, who I don't think would intentionally mislead, but don't take it as official fact

But yeah, I know we've been prognosticating on NASL's future for forever, but I bet the house of cards falls here, and probably leaves Edmonton with few options outside of CPL

First, NASL hasn't been demoted so your title is wrong.

Second, the NASL still has time to reapply for D2 apparently for 2018 and rumors are they are exploring a few options on adding teams as we speak. Atlanta is supposed to be the 11th team added for 2018 and New Orleans have presented last July to the NASL BOG and were going to come in for 2019 -  that may be moved up to fall 2018 which with those 2 moves satisfies the 12 teams and one being a central time zone team.

There's more still to happen before this plays out either way.

The biggest problem for NASL is that whenever they get a successful team, MLS poaches the city for an MLS club.  It seems that once a NASL team spends the dollars and time to build a successful soccer market, the MLS inevitably comes knocking (unless you are the Cosmos).

You can't be a successful league if your most secure clubs keep leaving.

The other problem is just how constant these potentially fatal issues are.  It is hard to get strong and build something when you keep getting put on life support.  Potential clubs will look elsewhere, existing clubs will be quietly exploring exit strategies if other options exist, etc.  

I just hope FCEd see CPL as an attractive alternative, rather than just closing shop or riding NASL into oblivion.

Archived