BREAKING: Could FC Edmonton be joining the CPL sooner than expected?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really has me shaking my head is why the Faths continue to stay in this NASL sinking ship. At least, Riccardo Silva sees the light and knows that the NASL is about to hit the iceberg. For this reason he's bailing out. What really annoys me is the stubbornness of the Faths. Why? BTW...Steven Sandor just fired me a tweet going back 2 weeks ago. He mentions that the Faths hate the idea that the CPL want to establish a single entity system. They prefer the independent-individual ownership system. Is there anyway they can be convinced.

5 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

What really has me shaking my head is why the Faths continue to stay in this NASL sinking ship. At least, Riccardo Silva sees the light and knows that the NASL is about to hit the iceberg. For this reason he's bailing out. What really annoys me is the stubbornness of the Faths. Why? BTW...Steven Sandor just fired me a tweet going back 2 weeks ago. He mentions that the Faths hate the idea that the CPL want to establish a single entity system. They prefer the independent-individual ownership system. Is there anyway they can be convinced.

Depends what they're being convinced of.

If they're being convinced that they shouldn't personally like independent-entity, good luck.

If they're being convinced that independent-entity is a weaker business model, presumably they would be convinced if that independent-entity system hits said iceberg and sinks.

4 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Because right now there are so many other places to play... USL wouldn't really lower their costs that much. They would have to play against reserve sides which would really hurt their image in Edmonton. That could lower their attendance. They would have to buy into a new league and lose their shares in the NASL. They wouldn't have the opportunity to switch to CPL until their agreement with USL is over, unless they want to lose more money. Not to mention they would give up their individual ownership to move to USL. To me, staying in NASL doesn't seem so bad. 

Once the CPL starts up i could see them joining. He doesn't like single entity, but we don't know what part of it he doesn't like. We don't know the CPL's business plan, maybe he is ok with the way they will run it. When Fath made those comments he was not referring to CPL, not unless he was in communication with them 6 months ago and they already had established a business plan.

What i don't get is why people complain about the Faths when the Faths know they will lose money each year, yet they continue to pour money into the team and atmosphere. I get to go watch live soccer for $20 because he is investing thousands and maybe millions each year just to provide a team. The Faths have faced so many problems and almost every person would have given up by now.

Maybe after seeing how much money he has lost for this you can see why spending more just to give up control of the team doesn't seem like a good idea to him. I would think it is like his baby, he doesn't want to give up control now. Not unless it is for a very good opportunity, and the USL is NOT that. The CPL on the other hand, might be. 

7 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

What really has me shaking my head is why the Faths continue to stay in this NASL sinking ship. At least, Riccardo Silva sees the light and knows that the NASL is about to hit the iceberg...

David Beckham's franchise might finally be voted into MLS today. That has been expected to happen for years now. The only mystery in all of this was why Riccardo Silva thought it was a smart business move to invest heavily in a D2 team in Miami against that backdrop. The NASL and USL have to tell the USSF what teams are in for 2018 by the end of this month, so there will be a few more weeks of hysteria on this sort of topic.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The only mystery in all of this was why Riccardo Silva thought it was a smart business move to invest heavily in a D2 team in Miami against that backdrop.

Riccardo Silva is a multi-billionaire who attends almost every Miami FC game. He loves the sport and the city of Miami. I don't think he's approaching this from a purely business perspective. It seems he's willing to spend just about whatever it takes to own a major American soccer team.

38 minutes ago, Yohan said:

SF Deltas in trouble. If they don't get an increase in attendance, they might fold after this season.

Why does that suddenly bring CPL any closer? The NASL have run league owned franchises in the past, and were able to sell Jacksonville to new owners this season after taking over in the aftermath of last season. I was amazed they survived last year, so they seem to be able to linger on like cockroaches during a nuclear winter probably because there is a definite niche for a league with no single entity and no B teams and the USSF seem to want them around for some reason and didn't go for the kill when they had the chance, which suggests there are probably legal reasons why that might be a major problem for them.

6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Riccardo Silva is a multi-billionaire who attends almost every Miami FC game. He loves the sport and the city of Miami. I don't think he's approaching this from a purely business perspective. It seems he's willing to spend just about whatever it takes to own a major American soccer team.

Yeah and he's building quite the base and a winning team with that. Once (if) that MLS team finally comes to Miami, he's got a real head start. Sure they're going to loose some fans, but a lot will stay if they like Miami FC (which they seem to do).

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why does that suddenly bring CPL any closer? The NASL have run league owned franchises in the past, and were able to sell Jacksonville to new owners this season after taking over in the aftermath of last season. I was amazed they survived last year, so they seem to be able to linger on like cockroaches during a nuclear winter probably because there is a definite niche for a league with no single entity and no B teams and the USSF seem to want them around for some reason and didn't go for the kill when they had the chance, which suggests there are probably legal reasons why that might be a major problem for them.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/will-nasl-stop-playing-san-francisco-deltas-division-ii-sacntioning

Pretty pessimistic analysis of whether NASL is going to survive to 2018.

NASL is just unstable right now, and scrambling to meet USSF Div 2 standards, which will be hard reach for 2018. To me it looks like USSF isn't doing much to support NASL and wait and see if NASL can manage on their own. CPL has CSA support, and while throwing in your lot with CPL is a risk itself, but if FCE thinks NASL is going to collapse, or at least lose Div 2 status... then what?

Did FCE talked to Ottawa Fury owners and found out why Fury left NASL?

29 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I feel like the demise of NASL could be beneficial to CPL beyond just Edmonton joining...I mean it could strongly position CPL as the 2nd top league behind MLS...

The USSF isn't going to let the NASL teams fall into oblivion. There seems to be big things at work in terms of the American soccer pyramid. Two American D3 leagues are kicking off in 2018 and it is looking increasingly likely that the USL is going to drop the MLS2 teams down into their D3 division, which would leave the USL in a pretty strong place (until MLS raids it for FC Cinnianati, Pheonix Rising and SacRepublic).

11 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The USSF isn't going to let the NASL teams fall into oblivion. There seems to be big things at work in terms of the American soccer pyramid. Two American D3 leagues are kicking off in 2018 and it is looking increasingly likely that the USL is going to drop the MLS2 teams down into their D3 division, which would leave the USL in a pretty strong place (until MLS raids it for FC Cinnianati, Pheonix Rising and SacRepublic).

yeah...

I think CPL has a chance to be stronger than USL.

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

yeah...

I think CPL has a chance to be stronger than USL.

It isn't like the USL has been held down from losing teams for long in the past though. Seattle, Montreal, and Portland were all the most popular team in USL at some point, they lost all three and were fine. As long as they keep finding cities like Cincinnati and Sacramento they'll be a very strong league...and it's not like there is a shortage on 200,000+ American metro areas.

40 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Two American D3 leagues are kicking off in 2018 and it is looking increasingly likely that the USL is going to drop the MLS2 teams down into their D3 division

I know about the rumored USL split, but what is the other D3 league?

Archived