tc-in-bc

2017 Canada Summer Games Winnipeg / Women Soccer ( July 29 - August 3 )

[ 1 ]   Groups:

Group A :    Alberta, British Columbia, Newfoundland & Labrador

Group B:     Quebec, Saskatchewan, Yukon

Group C:     Prince Edward Island,  Ontario, Northwest Territories

Group D:     Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia

[ 2 ]    Tournament schedule in central time:

https://cg2017.gems.pro/Result/Event_PO_T_T.aspx?Event_GUID=354d8bab-5f07-4808-9fbe-c80999897f3f&SetLanguage=en-CA

[ 3 ]  Streaming schedule in central time:

http://sportscanada.tv/canadagames/2017womenssoccer

- the first stream is Team British Columbia vs Team Newfoundland & Labrador , Saturday, July 29 , 2:37pm  PT, 4:37pm  CT, 5:37pm  ET

[ 4 ] TSN broadcast schedule:

http://sportscanada.tv/canadagames/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/07/ENGLISH.pdf

Ontario 13.5 million vs. PEI 0.1 million

Ontario 13.5 million vs. NWT 0.04 million

Final Score:

Politics 1 - 0 Sport

Surprise is Nova Scotia making to the semis and the disappointing performance of BC.

Have the non-powerhouse provinces spent more time together? TSN mentioned BC got together only a few days before the Games while Newfoundland were playing against British teams in the spring. 

In watching a few matches, the quality of play has a wide dispersion. You have the lowest tier in Yukon & NWT who play in slow motion. Then the middling tier where most provinces are and most of the players aren't athletic skilled or creative enough. At least, they're not playing anymore the dump and chase style. 

The top tier has the only teams where they actually look like real football teams.

Edited by red card

Quebec vs Ontario in the gold medal match tomorrow.  Neither team has allowed a goal so far.  Quebec has been scoring more goals against the mid-level teams than Ontario, so I'd say they have the edge.

Quebec beat Ontario in extra time, 1-0.  I was rooting for Ontario, but I have to admit that the better team won.  Quebec consistently tried to build their attack through the middle, whereas Ontario just hoofed the long ball over and over, without much success.  Ontario didn't play that way against the weaker teams, so I'm guessing they felt some desperation this time.  Congrats to Quebec for keeping their composure and finding a way to score.

8 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Quebec beat Ontario in extra time, 1-0.  I was rooting for Ontario, but I have to admit that the better team won.  Quebec consistently tried to build their attack through the middle, whereas Ontario just hoofed the long ball over and over, without much success.  Ontario didn't play that way against the weaker teams, so I'm guessing they felt some desperation this time.  Congrats to Quebec for keeping their composure and finding a way to score.

I was at the game and my impression was that both sides had some good players, but Quebec was a far better team. Played in triangles, completed some give and gos, all the basics. It was a fun game to be at actually. It seemed like a pretty decent crowd, I'd guess 1500-2000. 

Do you know the number of the player who scored for Quebec?

No, but they publish the game sheets for each match.  It will probably be written down there.

Edit:  Just looked at the sheets:  #6 Marika Guay scored.

Edited by rkomar

On 2017-08-02 at 9:40 AM, red card said:

Surprise is Nova Scotia making to the semis and the disappointing performance of BC.

Have the non-powerhouse provinces spent more time together? TSN mentioned BC got together only a few days before the Games while Newfoundland were playing against British teams in the spring. 

In watching a few matches, the quality of play has a wide dispersion. You have the lowest tier in Yukon & NWT who play in slow motion. Then the middling tier where most provinces are and most of the players aren't athletic skilled or creative enough. At least, they're not playing anymore the dump and chase style. 

The top tier has the only teams where they actually look like real football teams.

I grew up in N.S.

Typically, their Canada games soccer teams, both male and female, play together for 2 years before the tournament.

The other Atlantic provinces take it seriously, too.

Canada games for my age cycle had 3 Atlantic provinces finish in the top 4 on the men's side in 2001 (damn, I'm getting older)

Edited by Soccerpro

Bit of a neat trick here. Team Yukon placed 10th ( out of 12 ) in the Final Standings but not a single player on Yukon's  roster scored a goal in the tournament.  Team  Yukon were  goalless in all their matches save one:   In the Consolation Round ,  Team Yukon got a one  to nothing victory over the Northwest Territories by virtue of a NWT own goal. This victory put Yukon into the 9/10 placement match. New Brunswick , who placed 11th  ( and under Team Yukon  ) in the Final Standings  scored 9 goals in the tournament

http://www.yukon-news.com/sports/yukon-soccer-team-cracks-top-10-for-historic-canada-summer-games-finish/

https://cg2017.gems.pro/Result/Event_PO_T_T.aspx?Event_GUID=354d8bab-5f07-4808-9fbe-c80999897f3f&SetLanguage=en-CA