CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

Future Division 2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should the second tier be established?

• League 1 Canada becomes the 2nd Tier with the best clubs from Provincial league 1s joining it?
    • Creating a brand new league (Championship) at that Tier between CPL and League 1 Canada?
    • We don't need a 2nd division
  2. 2. Should CPL clubs ever face relegation?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

He can believe what he wants but when new people and curious readers comes here for info on the league - I don't think some of his craziest posts should go unchallenged... not for his benefit but for those who don't know a lot about the league. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I think some people's behavior towards him is a bigger negative for any new fans coming here than anything he says. That's not to say that some of his comments shouldn't be challenged (they should) but there's definitely responses to him a lot of times that are not banable but are more detrimental than anything he posted.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I think some people's behavior towards him is a bigger negative for any new fans coming here than anything he says. That's not to say that some of his comments shouldn't be challenged (they should) but there's definitely responses to him a lot of times that are not banable but are more detrimental than anything he posted.

I agree with this. The way he posts it kills people with a death by 1000 cuts kind of manner. But there are lots of responses to him that are just straight up name calling attacks, like from SthMelbRed above, or 95% of longlugan's posts. And the thing is that a lot of Ozzie's controversial posts aren't even wrong. They are either a different viewpoint (that I disagree with as well, namely MLS reserve teams in CPL) or little unnecessary digs/reality checks that are typically right or have a strong element of truth to them. Sometimes the point is exaggerated (like calling 200 fans a game essentially the same as 2500 fans a game, although you could argue that either way it isn't enough for a pro team long term) but it's usually not way off base.

On 8/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and I would suggest that if you don't ban posters like longlugan you shouldn't be telling anybody on here how to behave because you have allowed this forum to degenerate into a complete cesspit. I have posted on here for 20 years because I am passionate about Canadian soccer. To have it suggested that I do not want Canadian soccer to succeed is offensive in the extreme and frankly sickening.

Go fuck yourself douchebag.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an update from BC this time ... looks like CNL is delayed one year and CSA will sanction teams to play in Canadian divisions of US leagues (very important)

Men's teams will play in USL-2: Calgary Foothills, Edmonton Scottish, FC Manitoba, FC Tigers, TB Chill, TSS Rovers, Vic Highlanders + possible Sask team.

With the women: Foothills & Impact will be leaving UWS and joining a Canadian division of WPSL along with EDM Angels, Manitoba and Okanagan.  Not sure about FC Berlin.

12 hours ago, CPLinsider said:

Got an update from BC this time ... looks like CNL is delayed one year and CSA will sanction teams to play in Canadian divisions of US leagues (very important)

Men's teams will play in USL-2: Calgary Foothills, Edmonton Scottish, FC Manitoba, FC Tigers, TB Chill, TSS Rovers, Vic Highlanders + possible Sask team.

With the women: Foothills & Impact will be leaving UWS and joining a Canadian division of WPSL along with EDM Angels, Manitoba and Okanagan.  Not sure about FC Berlin.

Any clue why the CNL is being delayed? Seems like the summer series has been going well so far?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:01 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nothing wrong with that if it raises soccer's profile in cities like Thunder Bay and Kelowna. One size doesn't necessarily fit all. What remains to be seen is where Simcoe Rovers fit in if there isn't space in L1O for two Barrie clubs:

Who's Cyle Latin?😎

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few snippets of info in recent days:

possibly point to the League One people making some changes to head the potential D2 off at the pass, but we'll see what unfolds over the next few months.

Not sure what it says about the Forge if that info about there being a TFC affiliate in Hamilton as the local D3 entry is accurate, but I guess they effectively have Sigma as their affiliate at that level and tapping into the core of the GTA would be a rational strategy even without the Smyrniotis family angle.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:35 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

possibly point to the League One people making some changes to head the potential D2 off at the pass, but we'll see what unfolds over the next few months.

Not sure what it says about the Forge if that info about there being a TFC affiliate in Hamilton as the local D3 entry is accurate, but I guess they effectively have Sigma as their affiliate at that level and tapping into the core of the GTA would be a rational strategy even without the Smyrniotis family angle.

The Hamilton TFC thing isn't that big of a thing. There is already a League1 Ontario club (Hamilton United) run by three youth clubs in Hamilton. One of those three clubs (Mount Hamilton) is partnering with TFC, but not the L1O team as a whole, which is probably going to be the big youth club in Hamilton.

Doesn't give TFC a strangle hold on the city's youth. TFC has an Ottawa TFC affiliate, but that's with a smaller Ottawa club. Ottawa South United, the biggest Ottawa club partnered with Atletico Ottawa instead.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

yeah d2 doesnt make any sense at this time...either regional with d3 or national with d1...dont need another league on top of this

National D2 is the league we deserved, but not the league we need right now

Edited by Ansem

Indeed. I am sure there are at least 5/6 or so clubs maybe some potential ownerships on top that want the challenge and step up to a d2 to test themselves or act as a stepping stone/testing ground to CPL but 3/4 years of a D3 and getting that across the board in Canada as much as we can makes complete sense. After 3/4 years we should be at a stage of skimming an east and west league of the top of all of the L1/D3 leagues and promoting new clubs to replace those that step up.

Exciting times and glad it seems there is patience and logic at play starting from the ground and building up .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting news about League 1 Canada.

Long-term goal is to make it a cross-country league.

Sounds like a Division II league with potentially pro/rel with provincial/regional leagues and at the top, with CPL 

Potential pyramid

1-Canadian Premier League

2-League 1 Canada

3-League 1 Ontario/ League 1 BC/ Ligue 1 Quebec / future League 1

• Ansem changed the title to CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion